U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 10:40 AM

2,940 posts, read 5,180,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
There is poverty everywhere in the world. I have even seen it in Western Europe and every state, to some degree, I have visited. Look, this is not a pissing (can I say that here?) match yet it seems this thread has turned into one. Mississippi has it's problems, but it's great. Scotland has it's problems, but it's great. Now, let's move on and try to let this thread get back to its origin. So...

If you had $150,000 to spend on a house, where would you live in MS?
Hmm, tough one. Probably Hattiesburg or Hernando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 12:50 PM

62 posts, read 155,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Hmm, tough one. Probably Hattiesburg or Hernando.

Mississippi is GREAT ?? in toto or in sum that would not come close to an accurate assessment by most any measure-

Hernando is quite different than Hattiesburg Scotlass- Hernando is far more colored by W TN culture- like a suburban Memphis, which can be good, and can be very awful

Old 02-19-2009, 01:51 PM

3,927 posts, read 5,749,267 times
Tupelo is a nice sized town with a great medical facility. Home prices have fallen since the economic downturn. The hospital is the largest private hospital in the US and has fantastic doctors.

Smaller towns surrounding Tupelo to consider would be Saltillo, Guntown, Baldwyn, Booneville, New Albany, Pontotoc, and any rural areas in between.

All these towns are in Northeast Mississippi and economically speaking, it is a better place than Central MS or the Delta for jobs. Why is that important, well, the more jobs in an area, the more growth has taken place where better shopping and medical facilities as well as schools will be located.

I believe you can find a very nice home for that price range in Northeast MS. For swimming, there is the Tenn-Tom waterway with many areas as well as Pickwick Lake further towards the Northeastern part of the state.

Best of luck to you in your search and hope your trip to our fair state is a pleasant one.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:11 PM

411 posts, read 1,018,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
For swimming, there is the Tenn-Tom waterway
The Tenn-Tom is probably the last place I'd want to go swimming. It's filthy, there are lots of big logs floating around, LOTS of water moccasins, and even some large gators as you get down around Columbus.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:25 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,630,080 times
DebFlack says [quote=DebFlack;7534495]Mississippi is GREAT ?? in toto or in sum that would not come close to an accurate assessment by most any measure-

I disagree without "by any measure" part--would you not agree it does depend on what one is measuring?? For example--for me--Ms is great--why-

I have everything I could possibility want in terms of lifestyle, affordability, climate, access to beaches, atmosphere including warm kind generous people,
intellectual stimulation(university classes, trips, hobbies, historical sights, gardens, book clubs) and golf year round.

It would not be great for someone in poverty (I doubt any place would be), someone striving to broaden oneself and get more wordly (I already did that LOL!) That person should take his leave and see the world. But it is great by some measurements--isn't that true for most places--

New York City is GREAT--for theater, museums, the young professional and even families can live a beautiful life in its confines--but what about the poor? the undereducated? or the folks who hate big cities and prefer the grasslands or prairies--the great outdoors--they would love Maine--

Old 02-19-2009, 05:25 PM

9,057 posts, read 16,504,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post

My handy work.
Those are great pics .

I gotta admit I had a bad image of Scotland from watching Trainspotting.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:50 PM

2,940 posts, read 5,180,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Those are great pics .

I gotta admit I had a bad image of Scotland from watching Trainspotting.
LOL It's like the Mississippi burning of Scotland. Well perhaps not to that extreme but the lives of junkies isn't exactly my kinda material

Its not the best movie in the world I have to admit, but there are better movies out there like the waterhorse...its um a family movie lol.

About all you see in Trainspotting is Edinburgh but its a beautiful city just like Glasgow, Aberdeen and Inverness.

I have pleanty of pics in my CD photo album. Think of traditional quaint Scottish villages, nice towns with historic buildings mixed with new. Everything you could want apart from the...climate which is not my cup of tea to be honest. Send us some of that MS weather!

If your into hunting there are alot of deer species here and many many different species of other game. Many lakes, forests, mountains you name it everything is here.
I live rural but there are luxury coaches every 15 mins to Glasgow which is a 30 min bus ride, best of both worlds. Still can have my peace and quiet. It has its advantages i guess.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:08 AM

7,862 posts, read 12,640,871 times
Please try to get back to the original topic. It is about Living in Mississippi. Thanks.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:56 AM

355 posts, read 898,722 times
I think the main point about living in Mississippi is that there are good and bad places here as in any other state. I have lived in several areas myself. I never liked the Delta when I lived there, but that was a long time ago. I lived in Jackson for most of my life, but, as a senior citizen, I don't consider it a safe enough area to live now. I live in a suburb of Jackson now and I love it. I lived in Kosciusko for a while. It's a quiet little town where everybody knows everybody. I lived on the coast when I was young and I loved it. I still like to visit there, but it has changed a lot. I always thought I would like to live in Ocean Springs. I also lived in Laurel. It's a good small town if you like small towns and Hattiesburg isn't far away where there's good medical facilities and plenty of places to eat and shop. Where you choose to live depends on what you are looking for and the attitude you bring when you move there. When we moved to Kosciusko, we never considered the quality of medical care there and that is a big thing at our age.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:07 PM

62 posts, read 155,472 times
[quote=Tama;7537485]DebFlack says
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebFlack View Post
Mississippi is GREAT ?? in toto or in sum that would not come close to an accurate assessment by most any measure-

I disagree without "by any measure" part--would you not agree it does depend on what one is measuring?? For example--for me--Ms is great--why-

I have everything I could possibility want in terms of lifestyle, affordability, climate, access to beaches, atmosphere including warm kind generous people,
intellectual stimulation(university classes, trips, hobbies, historical sights, gardens, book clubs) and golf year round.

It would not be great for someone in poverty (I doubt any place would be), someone striving to broaden oneself and get more wordly (I already did that LOL!) That person should take his leave and see the world. But it is great by some measurements--isn't that true for most places--

New York City is GREAT--for theater, museums, the young professional and even families can live a beautiful life in its confines--but what about the poor? the undereducated? or the folks who hate big cities and prefer the grasslands or prairies--the great outdoors--they would love Maine--

I don't believe what I just read---perhaps I misunderstood------Mississippi is FULL of poverty for millions of its citizens, so, en masse, the state itself is a poster child for economic failure, poverty, racism, and distraught for millions of its own citizens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi