U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 05:43 AM

2,980 posts, read 7,287,740 times

Advertisements

Hi all, hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

I am going on vacation to a small town called Okolona, MS (Where my in laws are) in March '09. Can you tell me if theres any cool events going on then or things i should go and see, not to be missed?

To cut a long story short, my fiance had a job lined up in CO but it fell through so he's going to try and see if he can get something better there with his diploma/degree in mech engineering.

I sure hope the weather is going to be warm, its been really cold here (40s) too cold for me.

I am also into watersports, I might check out Sardis lake.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:53 AM

Hi, is anyone there? A friendly hello would be nice

Old 12-31-2008, 07:00 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,899,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I am also into watersports, I might check out Sardis lake.

Sit on top kayaks are my favorite way to enjoy the water, with a six pack of Samuel Adams Boston Lager and a few fishing poles ! Here where I live near the Montana "high line" every thing is iced over ! My ice auger needs to be used this winter if I want to do any fishing. Sometimes I wish I lived in a southern state just for the fishing. The photos are from western Montana, #1 is the road to a put in just after the Buffalo Rapids, #2 is walking the dogs along the same river, #3 is of some swallows nests, at high water the birds flying to and from the lower nests get eaten by northern pike. I have seen these big fish jump out of the water trying to eat the birds. When my rich uncle gets out of the poor house I'll try to get a motor-home and the first place I'll be going to vacation will be down south, Mississippi. Alabama and Georgia.
Attached Thumbnails
Going back to Mississippi-fh2.jpg   Going back to Mississippi-plumber.jpg   Going back to Mississippi-cliff-house.jpg  

Last edited by Rickers; 12-31-2008 at 07:14 AM..

Old 12-31-2008, 07:27 AM

That's cool i've done a bit of kayaking here on Loch Lomond and loved it.

I am hoping to participate in wakeboarding and jetskiing.

Mississippi definately has the climate for it unlike here even at the height of summer (80s max) the lochs are still bone chilling cold.

I'm outdoorsy so im gonna try and enjoy the most of my time there.

I'm looking forward to sampling catfish again

Old 12-31-2008, 07:29 AM

356 posts, read 1,217,438 times
I'm sorry but I don't know anything about Okolona. I have heard that Sardis Lake is very nice though. You might look at visitmississippi.org to see what events are going on in that area while you're here. Enjoy your visit and I hope your fiance finds a job.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:09 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,029,301 times
I'm not sure of the exact dates, but you may want to look into Super Bulldog Weekend in Starkville, and maybe the Double Decker event in Oxford.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:32 AM

Thats great. What is the weather usually like the middle of March?

I will definately be going back to see Tupelo, there were some nice places to eat and drink there last time I went.

Also I'd love to visit New Albany, Oxford, Starkville.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:43 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,029,301 times
Fairly cool, average high is 68 and low is 45, with the end of the month getting much warmer. March is a rainy month here, expect 6" or more during March.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:45 PM

114 posts, read 382,642 times
If you like haggis, then you will probably like chitterlings here in Mississippi. I am not going anywhere near either of those foods. My Son is a Mechanical engineer in the oil and gas business. He graduated from Mississippi State university and works in Texas.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont neuf View Post
If you like haggis, then you will probably like chitterlings here in Mississippi. I am not going anywhere near either of those foods. My Son is a Mechanical engineer in the oil and gas business. He graduated from Mississippi State university and works in Texas.
I've never tried haggis, don't really want to. You'll find not alot of people here haven't even tried it. My family are Scottish and Italian so we love Italian cuisine. I love southern country cooking too and sweet tea...mmmmm. Delicious.

I really hope he can get a job there, when i graduate from university (as a RN) im sure i could get a good paying job there too and we could both have a good life. I like the look of areas like Tupelo, Aberdeen, Meridian, Oxford, Hattiesburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi