U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:48 AM

2 posts, read 7,411 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to Hattiesburg. We have heard some not no so nice things about living in Mississippi. We are a professional family who enjoy camping, fishing, playing racquetball and spending time with each other. We do not have any small children but are accustomed to sharing social times with a variety of folks. Being retired military, we have many friends of all races. We are a bi-racial family as well. Though we tend to be home bodies, we do look forward to going to church and being out and about supporting our community. We are looking to move in an area with acreage homes and somewhat secluded. Can anyone please give me some honest feedback on what life is really like in Hattiesburg. I know that I might receive some feedback that may be a little harsh, but I would like to know what we will be faced with prior to relocating. Thanks for all the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 11:12 AM

756 posts, read 1,792,511 times
Hattiesburg is very mixed city so you will be fine.
the are lots of good churchs in the city so you will have plenty to choose from.
the schools are lacking but you said you have no kids.
2 walmarts, a mall,lowes and tons of fast food.
to me the taxes were high.
there is also a walking and bike trail but I can not think of the name.

It as been a few years ago but the last time I was there, but it was not uncommon to see bi-ricial families.

Will there be older people that look at you some time? yes
but that is about it, no one will bother you so there should be nothing to worry about.

good luck

Old 01-25-2009, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,411 times
Default Thank you

Southernbliss, thank you for your quick and honest reply. We usually keep to ourselves, but I am glad to read that bi-racial couples are not uncommon. Thank you again for your response.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,615,870 times
I agree with Southernbliss--a bi-racial couple lived across from me for quite a while. No one mentioned it or raised an eyebrow. You will have no problem in that regard.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,633 times
I am from Hattiesburg and can tell you, I really don't think you'll have a problem. I have lived in several different towns in Mississippi and by far, Hattiesburg had the nicest people! Welcome to Hattiesburg!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:59 AM

101 posts, read 278,491 times
Great town. But remember now its a college town so there are a lot of young adults but its a great town. Personally, I would live there myself. Its one of my favorite towns in The SIPP.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:31 PM

11 posts, read 34,263 times
I can tell you my opinion. I am a Mississippi native. The northeast part of the state would be where I reccommend you going, particularly Starkville, but not the Hattiesburg area. Bi-racial in Hattiesburg will give you tough skin. Let me just tell you straight. But Petal, now is a little city outside of Hattiesburg, and I consider it the scariest city in the US....like a childern of the corn steven king novel (I was repeatly attacked for sitting in resturant there reading book...i suppose ignorance fears knowledge) I don't let people intimidate me, so i made it a habit of going to that same redneck resturant daily for two years so the people could get accoustomed to books. You think i'm kidding? Sadly, i'm not. I'm white and gay, and the people hated me. Given that, I've lived all over the country, and i prefer the upfrontness of the south. Hattiesburg is the most republican city in the US. That's ok to me...conservative and liberal are just concepts to me...but think about biracial and children of the corn and can those two groups meet eye to eye? Don't think so. Yes, a college town would be best for you, but not Hattiesburg. Mississippi is the most friendly and generous state in the country.....but not the most open in certain areas....gay acceptance or racial acceptance.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:10 PM

356 posts, read 1,216,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by persiamotorman View Post
I can tell you my opinion. I am a Mississippi native. The northeast part of the state would be where I reccommend you going, particularly Starkville, but not the Hattiesburg area. Bi-racial in Hattiesburg will give you tough skin. Let me just tell you straight. But Petal, now is a little city outside of Hattiesburg, and I consider it the scariest city in the US....like a childern of the corn steven king novel (I was repeatly attacked for sitting in resturant there reading book...i suppose ignorance fears knowledge) I don't let people intimidate me, so i made it a habit of going to that same redneck resturant daily for two years so the people could get accoustomed to books. You think i'm kidding? Sadly, i'm not. I'm white and gay, and the people hated me. Given that, I've lived all over the country, and i prefer the upfrontness of the south. Hattiesburg is the most republican city in the US. That's ok to me...conservative and liberal are just concepts to me...but think about biracial and children of the corn and can those two groups meet eye to eye? Don't think so. Yes, a college town would be best for you, but not Hattiesburg. Mississippi is the most friendly and generous state in the country.....but not the most open in certain areas....gay acceptance or racial acceptance.
If that is true, why does Hattiesburg have an African American Democratic mayor?

Old 02-02-2009, 02:19 PM

756 posts, read 1,792,511 times
Thank you auntbee,
Hattiesburg is a very mixed city and a bi-racial is not that big of a deal.
now will some older people look at you funny sometimes.........yes
but other than that nothing.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:11 PM

161 posts, read 377,066 times
most of the stuff you hear is total lies about this state!
we have had a big media problem with that. for some reason we get bashed.
i see interracial couples all the time and we have them in our church
and im on the coast.
many many whites and blacks socialize.
please dont believe all the rubbish from movies and media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi