U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:10 PM

440 posts, read 1,611,263 times

Advertisements

ARE there alot of poisonous snakes in Mississippi....And do they have alot of snakes of all sorts????????...gussie..and black widows.. do you see alot of them there??????///
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 05:06 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,512,291 times
I've lived here for 8 years and only crossed paths with one poisonous snake during my yard work. Black widows are another story. I kill about a dozen every summer.

-Robert

Old 02-04-2009, 07:49 AM

457 posts, read 1,473,347 times
I've seen numerous copperheads and cottonmouths. I have not personally seen a rattlesnake during my 10 years in the state, but I know lots of people who have. Timber rattlers are common in most of the state and eastern diamondbacks can be found in the extreme south part.

On the bright side, I have never seen a black widow here.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:17 AM

767 posts, read 2,139,500 times
Not only do you have lots of Black Widow spiders, you now have a new species that has taken a foothold on the gulf coast, the Grey Widow. It came from Africa, same size and venom ast he Black variety, but is grey and has an orange hourglass on it belly. Very prolific, not very aggresive. We had more of them than Black Widows in Ocean Springs. They will most likly migrate north.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:24 AM

314 posts, read 1,038,910 times
Moving from the rural Delta to rural NE Mississippi also meant moving from snake country to Black Widow country. Water mocassins (cottonmouths) are as common in the Delta as dirt, and I have seen rattlesnakes in the area between the levee and the MS river. I had never seen a Black Widow spider in the wild until I moved here and found two in the same afternoon while taking down an old fence. I have seen few snakes here- usually small mocassins around ponds/lakes and the occasional copperhead.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:47 AM

13,320 posts, read 21,311,774 times
Oh gosh, If I see more then a garden snake........I'd die. Your all very brave to be living with so many around you.
Actually, now that I am here in SC with a small canal behind me, what should I be looking for?
I think I have to go google ....snakes....and the thought is not fun.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:13 PM

I am sure you will have snakes if you live by any water.. small creeks, streams.. any water. I lived in Athens, Georgia.. never had any snakes by God.. but I didn't have any water around.. But I had alot of black widows , and they are horrible!!!

Old 02-05-2009, 02:43 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,512,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Oh gosh, If I see more then a garden snake........I'd die. Your all very brave to be living with so many around you.
Actually, now that I am here in SC with a small canal behind me, what should I be looking for?
I think I have to go google ....snakes....and the thought is not fun.
I know there is a blue racer living in my front flower bed. I've seen his tail as he speedily slithers off. My only encounter with a poisonous snake was a little copper head on my back patio. I took care of him with a shovel.

You sound like my mother-in-law who is afraid of spiders. All spiders. But she thinks nothing about going into south Memphis to buy a lottery ticket. I have to remind her it is thousands of times more dangerous and a bullet from a drive-by hurts much more than a spider bite. But after years of reminders her fear priorities are just as screwed up as ever. Remember, this isn't an Indiana Jones movie.

With all of the spiders and snakes running around the most dangerous encounter in my yard came from a deer. I was pulling weeds in the back yard when I heard a snort. I looked up and thought what a strange sound. Before I could bend down, I heard it again behind me. I turned around and it was a decent sized white tail about 40 feet from me. I took a couple of steps towards him and snorted back. Then it hit me. I didn't want to be on Fox's "When Animals Attack" so I stepped back and let him go on his way. A rutting buck is not something I want to handle un-armed.

-Robert

Old 02-05-2009, 03:02 PM

457 posts, read 1,473,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
Water mocassins (cottonmouths) are as common in the Delta as dirt
I saw the biggest cottonmouth in my life a couple of years ago in the Delta. It had just been run over. I got out and looked, and it was about 4 feet long (a little more than average) but the thing was a good 4" or more in diameter.

I wonder how many people it had to eat to get that big.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:39 PM

I hate snakes.. Glad I am up in Maine now.. No big snakes or poisonous ones here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi