U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-01-2009, 06:38 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,148,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
IRA500 That is an eyeopener for me! I had no idea conservatives didn't mesh with lattes.

I'm shooting without facts here ( as usual) but I'd say a solid majority of latte drinkers voted for Obama.
Conservatives may also be conservative about throwing four dollars away on a cup of coffee.
It's funny how many people are more likely to throw out four dollars (or more) on mixed drinks and martinis, yet they will not do the same on coffee... I guess side effects are more important than taste.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 12:04 AM

6 posts, read 12,280 times
I lived in Hattiesburg 8+ years. It is the most liberal city/town in Mississippi and growing fast. It's nice; kind of hard to meet people. USM has instructors and students from all over the world-maybe the largest international student body at one time. It's a fine place

Old 03-11-2009, 09:31 AM

484 posts, read 787,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camellia29 View Post
I lived in Hattiesburg 8+ years. It is the most liberal city/town in Mississippi and growing fast. It's nice; kind of hard to meet people. USM has instructors and students from all over the world-maybe the largest international student body at one time. It's a fine place
Thanks. That is the kind of info I was seeking.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camellia29 View Post
It is the most liberal city/town in Mississippi and growing fast. It's nice; kind of hard to meet people. USM has instructors and students from all over the world-maybe the largest international student body at one time. It's a fine place
Not trying to discredit your information, but that's a bit of a stretch... don't you think?

It would also be interesting to see a comparison between Jackson and Hattiesburg regarding which one is more liberal. According to the presidential election poll results by county:

Hinds County (Jackson):
Obama - 70%
McCain - 30%

Forrest County (Hattiesburg):
McCain - 56%
Obama - 43%

It would seem that Jackson is more likely to be the most liberal city in the state.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:57 PM

1,008 posts, read 182,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Not trying to discredit your information, but that's a bit of a stretch... don't you think?

It would also be interesting to see a comparison between Jackson and Hattiesburg regarding which one is more liberal. According to the presidential election poll results by county:

Hinds County (Jackson):
Obama - 70%
McCain - 30%

Forrest County (Hattiesburg):
McCain - 56%
Obama - 43%

It would seem that Jackson is more likely to be the most liberal city in the state.

That actually tells us nothing, since the voting results mirrored demographics, aside from the fact that about 10% of Whites in Mississippi voted for Obama. If you look at Hinds County you'll see that Obama's voter base was comprised of just about every single Black and about 5-10% of all Whites. In Forrest County it was the same thing. The election was a racial head count.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:52 AM

15 posts, read 28,644 times
has hurricane katrina transformed hattiesburg? i drove through there a couple times on cross country road trips pre Katrina and had a positive impression; but i've heard it's expanded a lot. (not that that's necessarily bad.)

Old 03-12-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
That actually tells us nothing, since the voting results mirrored demographics, aside from the fact that about 10% of Whites in Mississippi voted for Obama. If you look at Hinds County you'll see that Obama's voter base was comprised of just about every single Black and about 5-10% of all Whites. In Forrest County it was the same thing. The election was a racial head count.
So you're saying political affiliation had nothing to do with the election?

Old 03-12-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
So you're saying political affiliation had nothing to do with the election?

So you're saying race had nothing to do with it?

If you look at the demographics of those two counties you'll see it was simply a case where virtually 100% of Blacks voted for Obama while all but about 10% of Whites voted for McCain.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
So you're saying race had nothing to do with it?

If you look at the demographics of those two counties you'll see it was simply a case where virtually 100% of Blacks voted for Obama while all but about 10% of Whites voted for McCain.
The topic is about liberalism (a political affiliation), which is what my comments have been focused on. Try to keep it on topic.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
The topic is about liberalism (a political affiliation), which is what my comments have been focused on. Try to keep it on topic.

I contend that the election results do not show Jackson to be more or less liberal than Hattiesburg, only that Jackson has more Blacks, both numerically and as a percentage.

Election results are an inaccurate way to determine the political leanings of a town, at least the 2008 results, specifically in Mississippi and several other states.

My posts are absolutely on-topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi