U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 01:08 PM

6 posts, read 17,675 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,I want to move back to the Gulfport area around the beginning of May,we have not been able to get back home from the time we got to Az.Due to Katrina,Just to get a uhaul it is close to 2000 dollars.
Im home sick,my husband is home sick,and it doesnt get easier as time flows by. I have no idea where to go when I get there,and need leads on half way decent rentals,and maybe a few leads on maintence jobs for my husband,right now he is working on the grounds of 900 acres retirement community.Been there for a few yrs. I have no family there,but yet Gulfport always treated us as family.
Im afraid when I get there Im going to be homeless,and hungry,but,I will get there,where there is a will there is a way. I have no clue what has happened from the day we left,3 weeks after the storm,as we lived 1 mile from the beach,off Pass road,we werent able to see the nightmares on the beach,all though we lived through 1 big nightmare along with everyone else. We werent aloud to go over the railroad,they had it blocked with military,I couldnt even say good bye to the places I loved dearly,it was a hard thing to do to have to leave.
If anyone has any suggestions,please please let us know,we are reaching 50 yrs old,and dont want to be homeless once we get there.
Thanks so much,and blessings to everyone in sweet Ms.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 05:27 PM

276 posts, read 1,094,442 times
I left 1 week after...I did move back last year in March and left again in October...I found my house in less than 24 hrs of being there...had you wanted to move last year, FEMA would've paid for your moving expenses, thats how I got back from Phoenix to MS lol...rent isn't cheap there anymore, I have heard they have affordable housing now, but my understanding there are waiting lists...I'm moving back there this summer, again lol...What area are you looking to move to?

They are still doing things on the beach like dredging sand...all the pretty oak trees are for the most part gone or only have a couple leaves on them, none are in the median anymore of hwy 90...Lots of palm trees are being planted...north of I-10 didn't show much remnants of the storm (that I could see) lots of rebuilding has taken place.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:32 PM

ty for the reply. You were in Phoenix area also? How did you like it? I dont like it one bit,there rude. I would like to get back in the Gulfport/blxi area,but not around the highway 49 area,at least certian areas. We cant afford alot of rent,under 600,and hopefully a special going on where ever we can hope to find a place. I know 90 will look so different when we see it,it was soo pretty before the storm.Thank you for taking the time to reply and give me an update,it warms my heart.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:52 PM

276 posts, read 1,094,442 times
I didn't care for Phoenix...some people are rude, the people I worked with were nice...but I only lasted there 9 months b4 I left...are you trying to get an apartment or house? hwy 49 isnt all bad, I was in orange grove and I loved it...I just like the beach and I was too far from the water lol

Old 03-25-2009, 05:54 PM

People in the west are SO different from the sweet southerners.
Im looking for anything that fits the under 600 mark,house or apt,no more mobile homes after katirna for me,lol. Orange grove is nice,I agree,Im speaking of areas closer to town on 49,you know what I mean? I love the beach,but I know the closer you are the costly it can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi