U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-26-2009, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Central Mississippi
356 posts, read 1,215,826 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
That's just plain rude. Something I've already said I see no reason for. As for as treatment of "yankees" I am from the midwest but when I lived there when I was 14 I was at Forest Hills High School and they considered me a yankee and sat me in the back of the classroom with the black people and the Indians. Funny thing was, I always liked to sit in back and didn't mind it all. What they most likely thought was a punishment could not have been further from the truth.
I don't know when you went to Forest Hill, but my kids went there 20 years ago. I have been in the classrooms a number of times and I never noticed the black people sitting in the back of the room. They sat wherever they wanted to sit. I know my kids never wanted to sit up front where the teacher could see them all of the time.

 
Old 05-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 2 days ago)
 
47,632 posts, read 45,275,083 times
Reputation: 15212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Coffee shops, jazz, and lakes we have Are you a fan of the Blues?
I am not a big fan of the blues. Old school R&B from the 1970's and 80's I like. Stuff like Stevie Wonder and Earth, Wind and Fire.
 
Old 05-29-2009, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Chicago, Illinois
3,047 posts, read 8,124,999 times
Reputation: 1373
I'm from chicago and totally understand why people down south wouldn't like "yankees." I don't want to go on a tirade about them but I sympathize with southerner's plight when they come across a typical "yankee."

Luckily, for me, I am a polite gentleman whose family is originally from South Carolina and Virginia so it's not like I have that New York or typical yankee mentality. I understand and like almost all things to do with the South and it's almost the opposite for the North! So I should fit right in. I'm not one of those who say this is how you should do this or someone who takes people for granted. I look and I listen and I appreciate what is in front of me without trying to change it.
 
Old 05-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 2 days ago)
 
47,632 posts, read 45,275,083 times
Reputation: 15212
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
I'm from chicago and totally understand why people down south wouldn't like "yankees." I don't want to go on a tirade about them but I sympathize with southerner's plight when they come across a typical "yankee."

Luckily, for me, I am a polite gentleman whose family is originally from South Carolina and Virginia so it's not like I have that New York or typical yankee mentality. I understand and like almost all things to do with the South and it's almost the opposite for the North! So I should fit right in. I'm not one of those who say this is how you should do this or someone who takes people for granted. I look and I listen and I appreciate what is in front of me without trying to change it.
I am not trying to be abrasive, but I ask about what you mean when you understand why many people in the South wouldn't like northerners and sympathizing with the southerner's plight? I am just curious about your perspective.

Last edited by green_mariner; 05-29-2009 at 12:30 PM..
 
Old 05-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 2 days ago)
 
47,632 posts, read 45,275,083 times
Reputation: 15212
I have something to add that spells my own perspective. My father is from the Midwest(Wisconsin specifically). His family left Mississippi during the Great Migration in the 1940's. My father, being born in and raised in the North and having parents from Mississippi had an effect on how I viewed Mississippi. Due to family history, Mississippi represented a place of oppression and poverty, not to say northern cities were that much better, but my grandparents had a reason for leaving Mississippi. The Jim Crow laws are declared illegal and my father could live in Mississippi with relatively few problems compared to the 1950's. With that said, I don't see my father living there. I haven't met many Mississippians. I have only spent about a few hours in MS and I don't find many Mississippians living in Georgia(that I know of). The Mississippians I met didn't fit the stereotype of being "fat, ugly, or stupid". It depends on who you me. Personally, I am more a fan of large cities such as Seattle, Mpls, Dallas. For that reason, Mississippi isn't for me, but the perspectives can be shaped by who you meet.
 
Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Jackson, MS
4 posts, read 11,451 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
As someone who relocated here from the northeast I'll share my prospective. First, I'll address the fat issue. Statistically it is the fattest state in the country. Most of this is obeesity is among blacks however. I personally believe this is linked to poverty. Statistically Mississippi is also the poorest state in the country. The poor are more likely to eat McDonalds & box dinners as opposed to fresh food because of cost. Another thing to consider is that the "home cookin" that has been passed down through southen generations isn't the healthiest either. Items breaded, fried, and lots of bacon grease just aren't good for your figure. As for the stupidity the education system is terrible. This is largely due to extremely low teacher pay. I've heard some figures around 25k a year! I have also met many smart well educated people in MS though. There are
Moderator cut: language
everywhere and they would be dumb no matter who taught them. The stupidity is mostly a rural thing where the drop-out rate is like 50%. People are generally slower and more laid back. Hospitality is more prevelant with the exception of business. The business world is all about being in the right clique and knowing the right people. The good ole boy network does still exist. Socially, it is night and day compared to the northeast. People are much friendlier. I don't know much about Clarksdale or Oxford. Hattiesburg is a pretty good area. Being a college town there's a lot going on. The coast, (Harrison & Jackson counties), probably have the most going on, (economically), and the people are more laid back. It's not as political as Jackson either. I hope this helps, but until you spend time here it's hard to get a prospective.
As a life long Jacksonian, I completely agree with this synopsis. And the ladies (we don't say women cause women is a lower class term and would be rude and completely unsouthern) are gorgeous. The ladies I went to school with looked like Courtney Friel which I think is a good look. Fat lifestyles are somewhat acceptable in this area which I don't like for health reasons. We have a limited item fresh market grocery store but can't get a whole foods grocery cause very few people would shop there due to our horrible eating habits and lack of disposable income in the area. Every co-worker I have met that moved here from out of state said they gained 10 to 30 pounds. I think two fold reasons... the great food and summer humidity. The food is hard to give up cause it is everywhere (including the breakroom every morning at work) and the humidity makes you want to live in air conditioning 4 months out of the year which causes fitness stagnation. I have a commercial quality treadmill in my house so I can exercise in air conditioning during the summer. Winter, Spring and Fall are awesome weather! People are great! Watch out for crime in Jackson, but that is why we have the suburbs and separate governing bodys (Rankin and Madison counties).
 
Old 07-08-2009, 08:52 PM
 
4 posts, read 7,855 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
As someone who relocated here from the northeast I'll share my prospective. First, I'll address the fat issue. Statistically it is the fattest state in the country. Most of this is obeesity is among blacks however. I personally believe this is linked to poverty. Statistically Mississippi is also the poorest state in the country. The poor are more likely to eat McDonalds & box dinners as opposed to fresh food because of cost. Another thing to consider is that the "home cookin" that has been passed down through southen generations isn't the healthiest either. Items breaded, fried, and lots of bacon grease just aren't good for your figure. As for the stupidity the education system is terrible. This is largely due to extremely low teacher pay. I've heard some figures around 25k a year! I have also met many smart well educated people in MS though. There are
Moderator cut: language
everywhere and they would be dumb no matter who taught them. The stupidity is mostly a rural thing where the drop-out rate is like 50%. People are generally slower and more laid back. Hospitality is more prevelant with the exception of business. The business world is all about being in the right clique and knowing the right people. The good ole boy network does still exist. Socially, it is night and day compared to the northeast. People are much friendlier. I don't know much about Clarksdale or Oxford. Hattiesburg is a pretty good area. Being a college town there's a lot going on. The coast, (Harrison & Jackson counties), probably have the most going on, (economically), and the people are more laid back. It's not as political as Jackson either. I hope this helps, but until you spend time here it's hard to get a prospective.
Hey truck driver.. YOU are a big DUMMY!! HEE HAW!! Did the good ole boys get you that truck driving job? I bet you are fat and ugly and OH SO STUPID gathering from your quick response to the title and your idiotic remarks. Which RURAL area did you drop out of school from cause you know... it doesn't take a degree to drive a truck!!!! Are you in a truck drivers clique???? WOW.. now that is IMPRESSIVE!!!! And what fresh food do truckers EAT??? And when you recommend someone spend time there... remember dummy....they might have a real hard time getting a PERSPECTIVE.. not a PROSPECTIVE.. especially if they run into a hillbilly such as yourself.. You have a WONDERFUL DAY and don't forget to salute your U.S President now... FROM AN INTELLIGENT, AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMAN... BLACK AND PROUD!!! look how far this country has come..... OOPS... HAD TO CHECK THE SPELLING ON REMARKS.. don't wanna look as IGNORANT as you... Talking about OBEESE..THE WORD IS... OBESE!! HEE HAW!!!
 
Old 07-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 2 days ago)
 
47,632 posts, read 45,275,083 times
Reputation: 15212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott365 View Post
As a life long Jacksonian, I completely agree with this synopsis. And the ladies (we don't say women cause women is a lower class term and would be rude and completely unsouthern) are gorgeous. The ladies I went to school with looked like Courtney Friel which I think is a good look. Fat lifestyles are somewhat acceptable in this area which I don't like for health reasons. We have a limited item fresh market grocery store but can't get a whole foods grocery cause very few people would shop there due to our horrible eating habits and lack of disposable income in the area. Every co-worker I have met that moved here from out of state said they gained 10 to 30 pounds. I think two fold reasons... the great food and summer humidity. The food is hard to give up cause it is everywhere (including the breakroom every morning at work) and the humidity makes you want to live in air conditioning 4 months out of the year which causes fitness stagnation. I have a commercial quality treadmill in my house so I can exercise in air conditioning during the summer. Winter, Spring and Fall are awesome weather! People are great! Watch out for crime in Jackson, but that is why we have the suburbs and separate governing bodys (Rankin and Madison counties).
I live in a place with very bad summer heat and humidity..............GA. Georgia has a similar issue(although there is a Whole Foods market here). I eat what I can find within walking distance. I don't have a car, so I walk to the store and buy food. I don't think this is just a Mississippi problem. This is a problem I see in many parts of the South where fresh fruits and vegetables are not cheap and the junk is cheap.
 
Old 07-09-2009, 01:08 AM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
17,283 posts, read 21,125,433 times
Reputation: 24025
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
As someone who relocated here from the northeast I'll share my prospective. First, I'll address the fat issue. Statistically it is the fattest state in the country. Most of this is obeesity is among blacks however.
The consequences of anyone getting on a bullhorn and broadcasting this to the outside world is you'll have a huge influx of chubby chasers moving to Mississippi. Hush! Hush! Hush!
 
Old 07-09-2009, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Redneck Hell Lucedale, Ms
388 posts, read 766,716 times
Reputation: 342
Wow I didn't know this thread was here! hehehehe..Any way before I start...I do need boxes, Large ones and medium and yes I may need help packing. ANOTHER view from another YANKEE who is stuck here!!! YES STUPIDITY reigns here in the rural areas! Schools want to teach kids to be stupid! They like to stick there noses so far up your @#$ just to know about you! The businesses ARE VERY crooked!! Walmart is an exception!! Fat is a common thing here! I see why...Not enough work!! Lets eat at McDonalds kids or hardies mama don't feel like cooking cuz its to hot! Sweats are sexy for the fat ones LOL!! Chew is the southerns bubblegum! DISCLAIMER: I'm speaking ownly of the Southern most parts! Northern Mississippi sounds alot nicer and smarter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:12 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top