U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,258 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to Corinth or nearby very soon. I am leaving my husband and I have some family that moved nearby there a couple years ago. I am white and my children are bi-racial, and being from Pittsburgh my entire life, I am worried about the things I hear about the south concerning prejudice and racism. I am looking to leave this fast paced city for something a little more laid back and easy going, basically a new way of life for us and a fresh start. But how well will my children and I be accepted in ms. Will their race be a problem for us there? This is a very big step for us and I really need some honest answers.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-01-2009, 10:25 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,833,806 times
Corinth has a large amount of black residents compared to Northeast MS as a whole, but because I haven't had any firsthand experiences, I have no idea if the black and white population coexists there. However, I can tell you that fitting in with the local culture will ultimately be more important than race.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:34 AM

61,306 posts, read 79,536,424 times
it all depends on your conduct if its bad, pretty rough bek neither race will cut you any slack.
re: the million posts about the south,
usually racial hatred with a thin disguise
mississippi is a place where you will get called on your stuff --- black or white
americans dont like that at all.
signed
a non white

Old 05-07-2009, 10:02 AM

783 posts, read 2,046,356 times
I'm not near Corinth, but I know a LOT of biracial folks around here, and few seem to have any real problems simply because of their genetic diversity. It really is more a matter of how you behave, whether you are polite in public, and how you present yourself. "Southern hospitality" can be a two edge sword - it's something of a cultural value, so if you don't own it then folks will quickly see to it owning you.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:39 PM

13 posts, read 58,042 times
Having lived in Mississippi for years I can tell you that the different ethnic groups often stay separated by choice and all are happy doing so. City Data is a great website to research the ethnic percentages of any town. The towns with military bases often have a high rate of race mixing. Corinth is about 75% caucasian, but like any Mississippi city, each group has an area where they prefer to stay with their own race. Corinth is a city with enormous southern pride and civil war history.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:00 PM

13 posts, read 58,042 times
Expect some stares and glares and maybe some rude questions. Tradition in Mississippi has it that races stay with their own kind and everyone is happy. Maybe it's the southern Bible belt teaching or unchanged history, but it works for Mississippians of all races. It seems backward and old-fashioned to outsiders but it keeps things peaceful.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:37 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,146,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghtraci74 View Post
I may be moving to Corinth or nearby very soon. I am leaving my husband and I have some family that moved nearby there a couple years ago. I am white and my children are bi-racial, and being from Pittsburgh my entire life, I am worried about the things I hear about the south concerning prejudice and racism. I am looking to leave this fast paced city for something a little more laid back and easy going, basically a new way of life for us and a fresh start. But how well will my children and I be accepted in ms. Will their race be a problem for us there? This is a very big step for us and I really need some honest answers.

Corinth is a somwhat larger town than many others surrounding it. Why do I start my answer this way? Because I live in a tiny place that is more rural than town life and bi-racial couples are becoming quite the norm for here.

My 16 year old son is in high school in a school that goes from k-12 and I am very involved in his school life, via sports, academics and visit the school often. There are 800 kids total in the school and yes, there are bi-racial young couples in school. For the most part, no one seems to care, there are a few that say things, but the majority of kids are just fine with it. There are also some bi-racial kids in school and they are accepted just as well as my own child, who is white, and as well as my childs friends who are black.

Kids do have a wya of cruelty but on the flip side, they are also quicker than the adults for acceptance and that is what I see here.

More than likely, you will be looked over for being new, but having family in the area will give you somewhat of an accepted status already. It is your conduct that people will watch. Are you bringing in ideas from North that are in direct conflict with small town living, the laid back way of life here in the South, and are you kind, helpful and honest. Those traits are most important for anyone moving here, more so than the color of their skin.

Welcome to MS, don't be afraid of us, the media paints us as the state might have been many years ago.....

Old 11-16-2009, 04:41 PM

14,030 posts, read 20,248,369 times
Here we go again. One post member asking about race, right - this is a troll post.

No of course racism doesn't exist in Pittsburg and the north. Ahhh Pittsburgh, the home of racial profiling.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:25 PM

138 posts, read 465,194 times
Coming from Pittsburgh, you should have as good of an idea as any as to how people accept mixed races; I would be worried if I were moving there. What would make you think MS is any different than anywhere else regarding this matter? I would recommend one thing, get off the sofa and stop watching TV and reading the papers! I AM SO SICK TO DEATH OF THESE POSTS IN THIS FORUM! MS IS NO DIFFERENT THAN ANYWHERE ELSE...GET IT STRAIGHT!

Old 11-17-2009, 03:29 PM

13,768 posts, read 35,413,633 times
closed for mod review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi