U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:20 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,953,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitmississippi View Post
There is now an antique store, where you can get a business card with "It, Mississippi" as the address.
There's a community on Grand Cayman Island where you can send a postcard postmarked from Hell....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,793 times
I remember the sign on the far end of It,, when traveling with parents on the way to Greenville,,the sign said,, " You just missed It." anyone remember that?

Old 11-26-2011, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,735 times
Default It, Mississippi

I remember It, Mississippi, as I lived just outside of It, from 1946-48. "It" was simply the name of the unincorporated community that was formed by the intersection of Highway 51 and what is now Martinsville Road. It was 7 miles south of Hazlehurst and just north of Wesson. There was a sign at the intersection that proclaimed "This is It", followed by a sign that stated "You have just missed It". The population was a single digit number.

Over the years, there have been a succession of small stores that were located at the intersection; one such locally owned store was called the It Swap Shop.

My grandfather, C A Roper of Hazlehurst, owned a farm south of It, which today is bi-sected by Interstate 55 South. You may have noticed an old barn just east of I-55 that has a rainbow painted on it. That barn is located on the former Roper farm property, though the rainbow was added in the '70's or '80's.

I have not been able to locate much public record about It, though I havent done an exhaustive search. I enjoy telling people that I meet that "I am from It", but often they assume that I am making this up. Therefore, I would like to find some decent documentation to prove my point on such occasions.

I would truly enjoy revisiting It again some day. Someone on this thread mentioned that there may be an antiques store at the intersection today. How would you suggest that we determine the name of the store or its phone/email/owners?

Thanks.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:26 PM

203 posts, read 287,221 times
I remember that sign! I used to drive thru there on my way to indianola I think. This was in tje mid 90's when I was in college.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,860 times
Default IT, Mississippi

Does anyone know of a Graveyard in and/or around IT, MS? I'm building my Family Tree and was told my Great Grandmother is buried there. The Graveyard location was associated with a Post Office. If anyone has any information it would be a great help.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:25 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,364,766 times
Could this be "It"?

Martinsville, MS - Google Maps

Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,860 times
I think it is. I'm going to go there soon. Thanks!

Old 04-10-2013, 07:40 AM

4 posts, read 3,830 times
...And, yes, "Its" is still there today. My great-grandfather was one of the Martins whom Martinsville was named after, and many of my relatives still live in Its today.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:51 AM

4 posts, read 9,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
There's a community on Grand Cayman Island where you can send a postcard postmarked from Hell....
There is also a Hell, Michigan......

Old 12-14-2013, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,186 times
My father was born there in 1918.

The community of It has a water tower for the
Trains that came through.

When they got close enough to see the tower,
They would yell "There it is" (the water tower)
That is how it got the name of It.

They would deliver and pick up the mail
With a mail bag that hung on a post.

The last time I saw the tower was in June, 2001.
I do not know if it is still standing.

The tower had the name It painted on it.

Mary T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or