U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2007, 03:50 PM

4,102 posts, read 7,343,262 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be driving through the Delta on Highways 61 and/or 1, and wanted to know the best place to get tamales on the cheap. I live in Central Texas and have had Mexican tamales, but I would really like to try the ones in MS. And are there other indigenous dishes to the Delta?

Also, what is the best way to drive through if you want to experience the "real" MS delta? Highway 1 or 61?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 01:32 PM

227 posts, read 219,282 times
Does Eat place. - Greenville http://www.doeseatplace.com/

Old 04-14-2007, 11:34 AM

26 posts, read 107,476 times
McGaugh Grocery& Deli 813 N. Broadway in Greenville. They have the best.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:47 PM

5,840 posts, read 15,882,642 times
Nothing - NOTHING - beats Fat Mama's in Natchez.
There are supposed to be good tamales in Corinth, but I never found any. There was a place that had really good "mexican biscuits" - biscuits with cheese and chilis.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,610 times
Check this website: www.tamaletrail.com

I'm not a big fan of tamale's but I've heard good things about Doe's tamales. Most "southern" resturaunts have tamales - but be on the lookout for roadside vendors. There are a couple of guys that sell them out of carts in Greenville - sometimes they set up outside grocery stores or gas stations. There's a guy that has an old bread truck that travels the south delta (greenville, hollandale, arcola, etc) sometimes as well. They're not very expensive in most places.

There are many "local" dishes in the delta. Too many to list - and mainly because I'm so used to them that I don't realize they're "mississippi" or southern dishes until I leave the South. Boiled peanuts, grits, and sweet tea come to mind. If you're in Rolling Fork, stop by Chuck's for a Chuckburger and a shake.

As for the best HWY - they're about equal. 61 is a better road to drive on but you'll see similar stuff on both of them. 1 will take you way out of the way in a few places - especially the southern part of 1 in Issaquena county - not much there - 1 incorporated town and less than 2,000 people living in over 400 square miles.

sd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi