U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 08:53 PM

47 posts, read 158,760 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I need to find out some information about the location of a couple of Churches in Sardis. My sister's husband passed away recently and his request was to be cremated and be returned to Sardis to rest with his grandparents. The only problem is he didn't know which cemetery they were at. All he could remember as a child was the cemetery was by a Church. None of his family are there now and his father passed away before he could get the information.

His family name is Long and I believe his grandfather's name was Andrew. If anyone has any information I would so much appreciate the help. She is trying desperately to grant his last request.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 09:12 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,423,303 times
Was the cemetary inside the city limits or outside? Maybe it is the Sardis Lake area. I will be happy to help any way I can as I know the location of a few cemetaries in the area.

Maybe one of the cemetary search sites on the internet will yield some results, just do a google search for "cemetary search". I have never used one of these sites so I can't vouch for them, and you may have to pay to use them.

Also try geneology pages as they mave have some information.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:17 PM

I am not sure if the church was in town or not. I will call my sister tonight and see if she can find out. She said something about her husband's father had built the Methodist Church there years ago. But she didn't know if they went to that church or not. Does the Methodist Church have a cemetery by it? Do you know who we might contact to get information concerning burial site list? She lives in New Mexico and has no idea who to contact. I thought maybe someone on this forum maybe familar with Sardis enough to help her.

When I searched City-Data it gave 7 cemeterys close to Sardis but not info for the names of the ones that had Churchs close enough that you wouldn't have to have a hearse to take the coffin to the gravesite. That is about all the information she has.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:34 PM

There is a small Methodist church in the country between Batesville, MS and Sardis Dam. The name is Cold Springs Church, and is located on Cold Springs Road, just off Highway 35. Below is the location, let me know if you want me to check the markers for names. The cemetary is right beside the church.

Last edited by jhadorn; 06-15-2009 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: Add additional info

Old 06-16-2009, 10:21 AM

Thank you so much for your help. I talked to my sister and she said this could possibly be the cemetery. Do you live close by, it would be so much help if it isn't to much trouble to check markers. We would be forever indebted to you. She is hundreds of miles away but is determined to follow thru on his last wishes.

I thank you so much for taking the time to help us. God Bless you for your kindness.

The name of his grandfather was Andrew Long and they believe he passed away in about 1969. My sister doesn't have the grandmothers name.

Any information will help us.

Again, thank you, Deb

Old 06-16-2009, 10:40 AM

I grew up in Batesville but live in Senatobia now, however, I do work in Batesville so it would be no problem to swing by there on my way home.

My grandparents, until my grandmother passed away, attended this church for many, many years. My grandmother is buried in this cemetary, and my grandfather still attends this church.

I will check this evening and let you know what I find.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:54 AM

Well, I checked during my lunch break today, but there were no markers with the surname Long. There are a couple other Methodist churches in the Sardis area I will check.

Glad to help.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:28 PM

Thanks for all you are doing. Do you have any family there that might have known a family named Long. I understand my sisters husband (Danny) father worked as a mechanic there when he was younger. Not sure what year they left. We are not even sure if they were Methodist or not. Danny's father just remembered his fathers funeral was in a church and after the service they carried the coffin to the graveyard attached to the church. We have so little information and no surviving relatives to get info from. Danny had intended on getting more info but was struck with cancer and didn't have time left to do so. Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to help.

Deb

Old 06-16-2009, 12:52 PM

Jahadorn, my sister just called and said they found some information about the cemetery the grandparents maybe buried at. It is called Rose something and it is in town from what they have gathered. They found out the full name is Andrew Curtis Long and his wife is buried next to him.

Does this sound familiar to you?

Deb

Old 06-16-2009, 01:09 PM

There is a Rose Hill Cemetery in Sardis. I also found a website that lists all cemeteries in Panola County and the people buried there. It says there is a Jean Crocker Russell Long buried there. Born June 17, 1927 and died January 26, 2008. There is no Andrew Long listed but I can stop by there to be sure.

The surname Long is also listed in Longtown Cemetery, Magnolia Cemetery, and McIvor Cemetery.

Let me know if this is what you are looking for or if I can help further.

Last edited by jhadorn; 06-16-2009 at 01:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi