U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 08:14 PM

112 posts, read 493,785 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at teaching in Mississippi. I was reading that you can get a full scholarship if you agree to teach in an area that is short on teachers for up to three years. We would like to hear from others that have decide to go into this. We would both like to teach middle school or high school students English and social studies (history). Is there a need for teachers in those subjects? Also do you get to choose the school district you'll be teaching in? I would be interested in the Carroll County or Montgomery County schools. I lived in Carroll County and know the area. I would also like to get my Masters in Library Science and would like to know if there's a need for school librarians? I have a deep desire to help these young people and want to know more about what I can do. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 11:52 AM

41 posts, read 102,619 times
I did not do mississippi, but I did rural ghetto maryland. Not a good idea! The issue is all the administrators care about are their high paying jobs and want no trouble; thus, no discipline in many schools.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:24 PM

22 posts, read 67,665 times
Do a pay search - if this is not the lowest teacher paid state amoung the 50 - it's close.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:34 PM

315 posts, read 884,829 times
I taught 6 years in critical-needs schools in Mississippi; 4 years at West Bolivar, 1 year at Cleveland East Side, and 1 year at Ashland. "Critical Needs" is Mississippi code for "poor and black". There is a reason there is a shortage of people willing to teach in these schools; they typically are in areas you don't want to live in. They can't keep good, experienced teachers.
West Bolivar students weren't bad, just very country and had watched too many rap videos on TV. Ashland (Benton County) had the best behaved and hardest working students I have ever taught, bar none. Cleveland East Side kids were generally everything you were scared you'd get-rude, confrontational, and no work ethic. Th only high point to teaching in Cleveland was watching the Teach for America volunteers walking around in shock out by the middle of the first semester.
I switched to higher education a couple of years ago- I have heard that its gotten even tougher in some of the schools. You may get lucky, and then again, you may find yourself in a situation that is untenable. Do your homework and be ready for a big dose of culture shock. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2009, 02:18 AM

112 posts, read 493,785 times
I was born and raised in Mississippi and know all about the poor and black classrooms. Years ago my husband and I left the state and moved to the Pacific Northwest. That was culture shock. But I loved living there and on the west coast. We've had to move back to Mississippi for family reason and living in a school district that has a need for teachers. My children are getting older and this is something I really want to do. My husband too! Did you get to pick the district you wanted to teach in. I really want to teach in Carroll or Montgomery county. There is a need for teachers in both districts. Thanks so much for all the replies.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:46 AM

315 posts, read 884,829 times
Go to the MS department of Education web site to find out which counties are considered critical needs. I taught in Bolivar county because that's where I'm from- not because of its designation.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,489 times
Default Mississippi Teacher Corps

The Mississippi Teacher Corps, centered at the University of Mississippi, will provide you the opportunity to teach in a high-need area in Mississippi while allowing you to earn a Master's degree over the two-year program. I have worked with a number of MTC teachers, all of whom are exceptional people. The program is very selective, and I've never heard of a participant who is earning the MLS, but it's possible. Most of the placements are in the Delta or Jackson, but that may be worked out as well. I think they also get a laptop to use in the program.

[url=http://www.olemiss.edu/programs/mtc/]Mississippi Teacher Corps[/url]

Last edited by Apologica; 07-19-2009 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: Add title, make url link (unsuccessful)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi