U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:51 AM

4 posts, read 14,288 times

Advertisements

I also forgot to mention that we are looking to spend 150K on a home. It seems like you get a lot for your money down there so I am hoping we can get a good size three bedroom/two bath with a bonus room in a good neighborhood. If anyone can give me a list of good neighborhoods in this price range it would help me a lot. I am trying to narrow the search a little bit before we fly down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 14,288 times
Default Relocating family, please help!

Relocating family, please help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlg30 View Post
Hello everyone. I am a thirty year old mom with two small kids, a six year old boy and a one year old girl. We are relocating to the Memphis area because my husband's company offered him a job transfer. We are currently living in northeastern PA. My husband was previously in the Army so we have lived in California and Virginia but have never even been to the southern part of the U.S. Anyway I am looking for some specific information about the area. From reading all of the messages on city-data for the past two weeks, I get that we should not live directly in Memphis. The relocating company that we are working with(Crye-Leike) has been sending us emails of homes in Hernando, Olive Branch, Horn Lake, and Southaven. It is impossible to know where to start because of the numerous subdivisions and not knowing if they are in a good area or not. Obviously we are looking for good schools but my son also has asthma so I would like to be either in driving distance of medical services or at least by good emergency services. We are also not used to living around any crime so I would not be comfortable in an area that has regular criminal activity. I also want a neighborhood with lots of young kids for my children. We will be flying down within the next few weeks to "look around" and moving over Christmas. Any information would be so appreciated. I feel like the real estate agents can't be very honest with me so somebody please help.
We are looking to spend 150K, if anyone can give me a list of safe neighborhoods with homes in this price range.

Last edited by tlg30; 10-15-2008 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: add info.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:15 AM

4,280 posts, read 4,069,375 times
As a Southaven resident, I am a little biased towards here and Desoto Central Schools. No, I have no kids but the ones in my neighborhood go there.

Check neighborhoods on Getwell south of Church road. There are also some nice neighborhoods on Pleasant Hill north of Goodman. But that area goes to Pleasant Hill Elementary. I still think it is Desoto Central for middle and high school though. Once you get information from your realtor, you can post it here and we can confirm what they are telling you.

-Robert

Old 10-16-2008, 08:36 PM

285 posts, read 1,005,307 times
TLG30
As you are moving from Pennsylvania, and have also lived in California and Virginia, let me clue you into a law that you may find shocking in the state of Mississippi, one that is very different from the law in the states that you have lived in. Teachers are allowed to pick up wooden boards and beat your children for any reason deemed necessary. Even if bruises are left on your child, you will have no recourse. Your consent is not mandated. Just go into this state with your eyes wide open.
Even though some parts of the United States have banned the use of corporal punishment in schools since the 1850's, that is not a typo, 1850's, Mississippi leads the nation in the percentage of children struck at school, 7.5% of all Mississippi school children were paddled last year. Why? Does it create a better learning environment, higher SAT's, lower drop out rates? Absolutely not, in fact, quite the opposite it true.
Just move into the area armed with the facts. Perhaps this will be a perk to you if you parent in this way, and you will be able to join hands with the educators in your community. I cannot entrust my children to the care of an adult who promises to maintain order with an act of violence. I would not hire a babysitter who hit my children, nor would I stay married to a man who beat our children. Why are teachers allowed to do this? Is this not 2008 and the land of the free? Know what you are walking into.
Good Luck in your move!

Old 11-26-2008, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,176 times
Let me tell you about a little thing called the truth. Some kids need corporal punishment. That is what is wrong with Memphis City Schools. They did away with corporal punishment and look what happened. With that being said, Parents of Desoto county school students can sign a waiver so that their child cannot be touched. Most parents do not sign it because they know that there is nothing wrong with paddling a child. However, parents do have that option.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,108 times
ya know, it sounds like someone on here has some sour grapes towards olive branch and southaven. its true if you are in the city area of these 2 there is more crime than in the country ( that is true everywhere ) . i live north of goodman rd and we have very little crime in our neighborhood. olive branch high school is a good school but the jr high has had several problems and doesnt score well on the state tests.. the highest rated school in the area and probably in the state is pleasant hill elementary ( which just happens to be north of goodman also ). desoto central has the highest rated middle and high schools in the area. if schools are your main concern i would recommend every school in desoto county with the exception of olive branch intermediate.. they have a new principal there and are definitely pointed in the right direction but it might take a while to be back on track

Old 02-13-2009, 02:03 PM

38 posts, read 214,334 times
I was going to say at Desoto County Schools at least at my son's school - there is a waiver that you sign if you do not want your child paddled. Secondly, teachers can't just paddle a student if they feel like it. It is handled through principal and a specific administrator is assigned to administer corporal punishment. 9 times out of 10 they call the parents before hand even if they didn't sign the waiver. It is not done in the "heat of anger" and the teachers do not adminster paddling.

just my two cents.

We've lived here in Olive Branch almost 3 years now and we love it.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,478 times
Default Relax!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriecke View Post
okay, so after all my research now I'm starting to hear the bad things about olive branch and we'd pretty much settled on it. My fiancee will be working near Germantown when they get the new building open, right now it's in downtown memphis I guess. He doesn't want to have more than a half hour commute. Are there GOOD areas of Olive Branch still or should I scrap it altogether? if there are good areas, where are they?

help! lol

Jamie
Jamie, I may be responding late to this, but you MUST keep in mind who is likely posting. I haven't read every post, so I am unsure where you are moving from. If you are not coming from anywhere in the South, you may not know that racism ABOUNDS here. The negatives quite possibly are being highlighted by those who live out of fear and ignorance. I choose to be realistic and yet positive, and I can tell you that there are many great places to live in Olive Branch. My family just moved here three months ago. We did our homework and landed in Olive Branch and Olive Branch High School because OB has a small town appeal while providing close proximity to lots of opportunities. The town itself is gorgeous, and in these few months, we have been embraced by the people we have met. We live in an apartment complex while looking for a home, and I could not feel safer. In fact, someone fussed at me because sometimes I forget to lock my doors when I leave! We do not feel threatened in the least, and my girls really do like their new schools. We moved TEENAGERS - which is very difficult - but they can already see that their new home provides many things their old town could not. To be honest, all the Desoto County Schools are good, but I can tell you that OB schools are top-notch with very dedicated teachers and lots of learning going on. You are smart to do homework; just take some of the negative posts with a grain of salt.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:20 PM

Default Apartments in OB

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestpixey View Post
My family is considering a move from Ca to Ms. We are looking at the De Soto County area. Olive Branch to be exact. We are going to have to rent a first. What I need to know is can you find houses for rent out there that are'nt to expensive. We have 2 school aged children and want the De Soto Co school district.
I am not sure about houses, but we LOVE our apartment complex. Rent ranges from about $795 to $1100 depending on bedrooms and what "phase" you choose. Both phases are fairly new, but of course, the newer ones are a bit more updated. Utilities are very low, and the complex has two nice pools, exercise rooms, playgrounds, etc. Check out the Vineyard in Olive Branch.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriecke View Post
I think we're going to stick with Olive Branch, I'm heeding any advice though, South of Goodman Road is where I want to be right? Also, We need an apartment for our initial move, we can't buy a house till our house here sells. Anyone know anything about Plantation Apartments? I know this is north of Goodman Rd, I think I could tolerate a not so great area for a month or two if I HAVE to. Any apartments in a safer area of Olive Branch. Also, I'm trying to make sure that I'm in an apartment in the same area I'll be buying my house so my son won't have to switch schools twice.

Any advice?
I just posted about The Vineyard. Awesome place to live while in transition - nice, safe, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi