Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:56 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,320 times

Advertisements

I'm 28 and looking at graduate schools. I've heard rumors about the females at Ole Miss being stunning, but I was wondering how true that was. Others have said that Alabama or Georgia girls are hotter. Can anyone give me some first-hand info about the girls and their personalities? Anyone know how many females are there and the male/female ratio? Also, I was wondering how diverse the school is. I'm from Pittsburgh and we really don't have many blacks and virtually no hispanics here, but I've heard from people that have been down South that there are black people everywhere. All of the towns I've lived in here in Pennsylvania have all been well over 95% white and I did my undergrad work at Purdue in Indiana, which is also a very white school. I'm a little concerned with how well a white, middle class, protestant male would fit in on campus. Would it be easy to make friends? Also, I'm fairly conservative and enjoyed diverse political views at Purdue, but I certainly know that not all schools are like that. Ole Miss isn't one of those crazy liberal schools, is it? Last question: Just how damn hot is it down there? I don't know if I can handle it being 97 degrees 9 months out of the year and 85 in the "winter." Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 10:38 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
Now young man--you are 28 and going to graduate school and your first concern is how hot the ladies are? What is this world coming to? I mean maybe the last thing you might ask is the male-female ratio--I could understand that. Unless you heard something about the gals being unbearable all over campus---I suggest you worry more about the marketability of your hard-earned degree.

That being said--Southern women are lovely, well-mannered and no fools.
But the men are quite charming, handsome, and true gentlemen--so you might have a lot of competition. Have you thought about that??

Just teasing you a bit--hope you enjoy school and best for your future!

Old 07-27-2009, 09:34 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,619 times
There are plenty of attractive girls at Ole Miss. The challenge is finding one that has brains to go with the beauty. Often, these two qualities are polar opposites, but miracles do happen.

There are many more blacks in the South compared to up North, but only about 13% of Ole Miss enrollment are black. About 21% of Oxford's population is black, and the hispanic population is very low (1-3%).

Ole Miss liberal? I don't think you'll have any problems with that.

No, it is not 97 degrees for 9 months. The average high is low 90's in the summer and mid 50's in the winter.

You should be warned of the Greek life at Ole Miss. During football season, it dominates the social scene, but there is an older crowd around your age that have their own scene that is more laid back and professional.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:46 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Addressing your concerns:
Yes, MS has a large minority population. You will find that they range from professors to business owners to thugs to welfare leeches. Just like any other group of people, they are very diverse. You will also run into Asians, Indians, Hispanics, etc. No matter what, you will find that 99% of the ENTIRE population of MS will ooze Southern hospitality. The negative aspects of the people get the media attention. The good aspects of the people don't get ratings.

Heat - Yes it is hot. Summers run in the 90's and hit the 100's a few times. That's why we have air conditioning EVERYWHERE. But we also have four seasons here. There will be one or two snows during the winter and people will freak out at the forcast. Schools will shut down for the day. Businesses will close. Grocery stores will be packed with people stocking up with a month's worth of food. It will snow a few inches and melt the next day.

Other things you didn't cover:
Football - You better love it. Ole Miss kicks off their season on Sept 6. Home games will be a party atmosphere. Depending on the school's records at the time, the game with Arkansas could be epic in both party and game aspects. You'll understand the significance once you get down here.

Food - It's all great. That's why MS is the fattest state. If it isn't fried, it's loaded with sugar. Tea is always iced. There is no 'soda' or 'pop'. You always get a Coke. Then you pick your flavor like diet, Dr. Pepper flavored, Mt. Dew flavored, etc.

The way of life is slower. We are accepting of people from other places just don't try to change us. Don't tell us how things are done elsewhere. We've been there and seen it. We didn't like it and came back. Don't critisize or be afraid of the cultural differences either. When it gets cold you will notice a lot of guys carrying guns. There is no civil uprising, it's just huntin' season. Give it a try. You can make some life-long friends at a deer camp even if you don't shoot anything.

Finally, we are extremely loyal to friends, family and the South. Don't tell redneck jokes until you have been here a while and at least started using word like "y'all" and "fixin'".

-Robert

Old 07-27-2009, 10:51 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
Robert---Good info--I was here for decades before I realized "Coke" meant soda, not necessarily Coke. It took quite before I figured out what Nabs were. So you have given our OP a good heads up!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:06 AM

806 posts, read 2,959,082 times
Pretty hot.. Upper-Tier SEC.

Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty:

YouTube - Fine Girls/ole miss by Krazy J ft.66 Deuce

Old 07-27-2009, 12:10 PM

If rap isn't your favorite music, Oxford is home to a lot of good bands - Oxford Bands « Oxford Music Snob

And you are only a short drive away from Memphis and some of the best music in the world.

-Robert

Old 07-27-2009, 04:31 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,320 times
Thanks for all of your answers. Could anyone that knows the school well give me a list of some of the big student apt complexes around campus? Or, give me a website that has a list of them? I looked at the Ole Miss student newspaper and really didn't see much listed.

Also, I've read on this forum that Oxford is a real small town, which is fine with me. But, just how small and rural is it? Is there basic stuff there, like a walmart, Target, a mall, or a TGI fridays? Do they have at least some fast food places to eat? Thanks again.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Also, I've read on this forum that Oxford is a real small town, which is fine with me. But, just how small and rural is it? Is there basic stuff there, like a walmart, Target, a mall, or a TGI fridays? Do they have at least some fast food places to eat? Thanks again.
Oxford, Mississippi A quick read will let you know there is a Wal-Mart. I'm sure there are the standard fare of chain restaurants as well. I would suggest trying the local places first though. You will be surprised at what you can find as far as food goes. The best chicken and dressing I have ever eaten was served at a convenience store/gas station at a little town in Arkansas where I went to college.

-Robert

Old 07-27-2009, 10:45 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
From memory, Oxford has 4 or 5 Mexican restaurants, Chili's, Applebee's, Zaxby's, Abners, McAlister's, a Japanese hibachi, a couple Chinese places, Papa John's, Two Stick Sushi, Sonic, Old Venice, Handy Andy BBQ, Rib Cage, City Grocery, Ajax Diner, Beacon Restaurant, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Wendy's, Danver's, Pizza Hut, Downtown Grill, Domino's, Subway, Burger King, Oby's, Popeye's, Quizno's, KFC, Lenny's, Newk's, Huddle House, Captain D's, 3 Guy's Pizza, Back Yard Burger's, Pearl Street Pasta, a couple steakhouses, Rooster's Blues House, Little Ceasars, Bottle Tree Bakery... there are more but can't think of all of them.

2 movie theaters, Wal-Mart, Office Depot, Home Depot, etc.

Try this site for more info.

http://www.oxfordcvb.com/index.html

Last edited by jhadorn; 07-27-2009 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: add more information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi