U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 06:59 PM

783 posts, read 1,937,638 times

Advertisements

Believe me...many of the 60s rioters were punished, put in jail, or shot & killed by the police.

Exactly... and how often does that still happen? And how often do we hear of young black men finding themselves the recipients of overwhelming police force justified or no? I lived in the Rampart district in Los Angeles in 1999 - ever heard of it? If you're an "Emergency One" fan you've no doubt hear Kent McCord call back to "Rampart" many a time, but most recently it was famous for something a bit more sinister.. here, take a look at The Los Angeles Police Department Corruption Scandal.

My cousin grew up in south central LA. He lives in Arizona now and doesn't even want to go back to visit his folks. And BTW one story he often tells is his fear of moving to what he describes as "Mayberry" when he first left LA to come marry my cousin who lived in Belleville, a small town between Detroit and Ann Arbor.

None of that stuff means the state supports it, though. There were scandals down here no doubt, and look at the years it took to even attempt a resolution of the Evars case. It's shameful it took this long, but the point is it HAS happened, and that should be a sign of real change down here. We live in a South where blacks are flooding into Atlanta and Charleston. Who knows what will happen in New Orleans in the coming years, but it should be obvious by now our problems here are largely economic, not racial... just like everywhere else.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:39 PM

138 posts, read 448,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windhoek7 View Post
Wisconsin has seen challenges over the last two decades---massive manufacturing job loss, huge in migration of unskilled African-Americans from poverty riddled Chicago, and job competition from legal & illegal immigrants flooding the state. Although whites suffered also, blacks were far more disproportionately affected by manufacturing job loss. I think all those factors better explain why Wisconsin blacks are behind many states economically......not your belief that the state is denying blacks economic opportunity.

My family has been here for generations. We're doing quite well along with a large number of other black families in the state. Contrary to belief, Milwaukee still has a vibrant black middle-class. Neighborhoods of black & white families, living side by side, still exist in the city. The same is true for Madison. The city has black businesses, city council & university board members, and a black chief of police. For a city & state that's only 6% African-American, I think those accomplishments are pretty good. Wisconsin sent a black member to the US House of Representatives. How many black house reps does Mississippi have with its 35% African American population?

Wisconsin doesn't need economic lessons from Mississippi. Sad to say, your capital city is losing population & jobs. And don't let me start on Mississippi indicators like poverty (2nd poorest next to New Mexico) low wages & low high-school graduation rates--not a good recipe for a vibrant economy. Although Wisc has been hit by recession, Madison still is a wealthy community with high growth rates & low unemployment. Actually, many African-Americans are moving up here from the south, including Mississippi. So you can have your two auto plants--they'll probably move to China next year anyways.

You don't believe in race mixing, yet you don't consider yourself a racist or a bigot? Who are you to know if race mixing is not widely accepted anywhere, when you don't believe in race mixing in the first place? Or do you just think its widely accepted in "liberal hell holes" like Madison? I'm confused. I didn't know the political bent of a city dictates whether two people should love each other. Anyways, you can continue to waddle in the company of racists & bigots like yourself....while the majority of us will continue to move into the 21st Century where love, not the color of a person's skin, dictates relationships.
I know most of this is off subject, but I simply must respond. Regarding why blacks continue to lag behind in WI are not "my belief" as you say, they are documented facts that I have read over the years and that have been the subject of numerous local newscast here in Milwaukee. My "belief" is that they lag behind because they, for whatever reason, are not as qualified as the next guy. I guess I should begin to take these stories with a grain of salt.
Again, it has been widely documented that MS has more black elected officials than any other state, and they should, seeing as the percentage of black inhabitants is greatest there. My most recent search, however, shows Alabama as having the highest. Regardless, MS percent is high compared to other states, and I would guess, considerably higher than WI.
Sad to say, but yes, WI indeed could use some economic lessons from MS; but they may want to stay closer to home and look to there neighbors in the Great Lakes, most of which (the exception being MI) have better economies. WI per capita income and growth lags well behind most of it Great Lakes/Midwest neighbors, and it does not show signs of improving. WI lags behind most Great Lakes states in most economic indicators. WI per capita income is below the national average, so one could conclude that WI is a poor state. Perhaps you need to speak to your good friend Mr. Doyle about this persistent problems; thank God for WI he will be history soon. Yes, MS may still be the poorest state, yet its per capita income, growth percentage wise, was the 3rd highest in the nation. Yes, WI is full of intellectual, bright individuals like yourself, and I brag about our educational standards and attainments. However, I must admit, being a college educated Wisconsinite, I have never meet so many enlightened dummies in my life. The truly bright ones leave WI after they get their education for jobs that pay much higher then America's Dairyland.
The two new auto plants in MS have not only brought high paying, high skilled jobs to MS, but they also happen to be some of the most technologically advanced plants in the country. How many of these types of facilities are left in WI, or have, or will be, extinct in the next year or so? How many Stennis Space Centers; that test rockets that send astronauts into space are in WI? How many battleships and subs that are manned by people who protect our rights to have this discussion, are built in WI? MS was the first to perform a successful heart and lung transplant. MS Dr. Arthur Guyton authored the Textbook of Medical Physiology, the most widely used medical text book throughout the world. What state can boast the contributions to the literary world like MS can...and thats just its writers. All this from the poorest, least educated state in the union. You write like a fairly enlightened individual, I suggest you broaden your horizon and visit a site that has some MS facts that even you may not be aware of. MISSISSIPPIBELIEVEIT.COM.
Finally, when I speak of race mixing, I'm in reference to myself, what the rest of the world does is its business. I think I'm entitled to my own beliefs, even if you view it as racist, or bigotry. I'm proud to be White, and not afraid to admit it. So I guess I will waddle on over to the TV and turn it on to see how many "white only" stations are on, like BET. Or maybe I will finish my sons college application to an all white college, like the 60+ black only colleges in this country. Or maybe I will get ready for White History Month...or thats right, we dont have that either. Maybe I'll start to plan the next White Million Man March instead. RACIST INDEED!

Old 10-23-2009, 11:00 PM

783 posts, read 1,937,638 times
Umm.. there are no "black only" colleges. There is the united negro college fund, and I honestly find that as offensive as most black folks would today if you called them "negro," but there's also college funds for latinos and chinese and vietnamese and so forth, so I wouldn't call that one comparable to a segregated college.

There WERE "black colleges" that were formed in response to the fact black students were NOT ALLOWED in many white colleges - like Ole Miss. They, like Ole Miss, are no longer segregated by policy.

Face it: your beliefs are rooted in a dead past. We're all entitled to be ignorant, or hateful, or just downright mean - but we also gotta accept responsibility for the attitudes we express.

BTW, ever watched "The Boondocks?" BET is widely considered a laughing stock (or worse) even within the "community" it was formed to serve.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:04 AM
NWS

721 posts, read 1,482,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HHI View Post
.....I'm proud to be White, and not afraid to admit it. So I guess I will waddle on over to the TV and turn it on to see how many "white only" stations are on, like BET. Or maybe I will finish my sons college application to an all white college, like the 60+ black only colleges in this country. Or maybe I will get ready for White History Month...or thats right, we dont have that either. Maybe I'll start to plan the next White Million Man March instead. RACIST INDEED!

BET is not a Blacks only station. It does target the Black community.
There are plenty of stations that target certain communities.
Latins, Asians, Indians just to name a few all have TV stations that target them.
There are even stations that target women, like the Oxygen station.
If you want stations that target the White community you have ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and a few hundred other stations.
There is no such thing as a "Blacks only" college or a "Whites only" college.
As far as a "white history month" you had 12 white history months. Now you have 11 white history months. What's the problem? Why so stingy?
"White Million Man March"? Did you hear about the "Tea Party" movement?
I guess it's great that you are proud of your race, although it's not like you had a choice in the matter.
Ignorance is not something to be proud of.

Last edited by NWS; 10-24-2009 at 07:22 AM..

Old 10-25-2009, 09:45 AM

8,236 posts, read 18,521,294 times
Default Please keep discussion about Mississippi

Please keep this discussion about the topic which was "African Americans & Tunica". Thanks.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-25-2009, 04:15 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,117,706 times
To answer your question, yes, it is safe to visit Tunica. We welcome all visitors and hope you have a great time.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:59 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,920,246 times
closed for mod review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi