Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:34 AM

250 posts, read 563,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherwayjo View Post
That is a RIDICULOUS question...what year do you think this is? African-Americans are the majority race in many cities in MS. Blacks and Whites get along much better here than some northern cities I have lived in. Come and see for yourself!
I experienced it myself and I can attest that Black and White folks get along in MS far better than some Northern states. Racism is everywhere and granted MS has its past and present but please guys lets put that behind us and move on quickly. Lets be forthcoming and ask what we can do to enhance the education system and economy in MS rather than asking question that have been answered over and over again. A colleague of mine once stated that MS has it own beauty compared to ther state. I am yet to experience it eventhough its breaks my heart driving along the Gulf but its getting better I guess!!!

Old 10-04-2009, 05:55 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,467 times
We're New Englanders. We're also an interracial family. The summer before this past summer we traveled by car all over MS, staying in Hattiesburg, Jackson, Natchez and the Delta and Brookhaven. We couldn't have had a better experience. We were very well treated by everyone.

Yes, there is poverty and it's the result of slavery and historical racism to some extent. But MS people are the state's greatest asset. MS people, of all colors, are cool people. I would love to return to Mississippi and stay longer next time. Much better racially than much of rural New England which has yet to face up and deal with it.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:04 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Tunica County is over 70% black, I don't know why on earth a black person would feel unsafe there.
That's what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
Its all just part of the media bias against Mississippi.
Exactly.

This whole thread: *sigh* At least such naive ideas about the south keeps some unpleasant people away.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:07 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinda94 View Post
I experienced it myself and I can attest that Black and White folks get along in MS far better than some Northern states.
Having once lived in NY state and stayed in CT and MA too, I can attest to that.

The thing that annoys me about assumptions of racism from northerners is they have no clue that they are generally far MORE racist than southerners of all colors. Srsly.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 5,735 times
[FONT=Arial]Until after the 1930's Mississippi had a larger black population than white population. Racism is everywhere, but the higher percentage of population of any underclass competing for jobs, the higher the level of prejudice will prevail. Mississippi still has the highest % of blacks of any state in the nation. I had a friend from Minnesota that could not comprehend how Mississippi had such a problem with black people. Over the years, after that original question I have heard him say two things that made me aware how much the population diversity affects prejudice. The first was that he never saw a black person until he was 10 years old. (that would be amazing to anybody raised in Mississippi) The second was his joking several times in a negative way about "pollocks". As far as I know nobody in Mississippi ever had anything against "pollocks" because they were so few that they did not impact our way of life. I moved away years ago but return often. Mississippi has changed but the differences in white culture and black culture is starker there than anyplace I have ever seen. Many white people identify race with culture to such a degree that they cannot separate the two, nor do they fully comprehend how years of discrimination help create that culture. The black culture in Mississippi is the angriest I have ever seen, and the hopelessness they feel is expressed to the outside world as anger and rebellion . Going to a McDonald's and being waited on by a team of black people in poorest areas of Mississippi is an excursion into a hostile, mean environment. I recognize that societal anger is justified, but it re enforces the preconceived notions about black culture that some whites have already developed. Mississippi also has a very large poor white population. They compete for the few jobs that are around and tend to get them. They then have a feeling that they "work for their money" while blacks get benefits that they cannot. (All of these statements are of course generalizations.) I was raised in this very race aware culture, but as a young person I was lucky to find several older black friends that made me aware that it was not race I was uncomfortable with, it was the poverty culture that I saw in public places. As I have grown older and met and become friends with black people from all over the USA and the world I do not believe I see race anymore. But I and many others, who were born into racism, have become enlighten and moved onto a view that is just as sinister.... class-ism. For years liberal whites had no problem making fun of undereducated, poor southern rednecks, and those rednecks now join undereducated poor black southerners as the group that will be left behind. Poor language skills (and straight teeth) have become the new way to determine who we will look down upon in the world inside and outside of Mississippi. To summarize, I think Mississippi is in the same place with this shift from racism to class-ism as the rest of the country. But being the poorest and blackest state in the nation it may take years for outsiders to realize that Mississippi too has moved into the "post" racist world and joined the country’s other elitists in our distain for the uneducated. Black or white. [/FONT]

Old 10-07-2009, 08:58 PM

388 posts, read 855,977 times
Here in Lucedale and surrounding towns or villages whatever you want to call them racism is still big! No Joke! It's mainly with the older folks that live here and there kin

Old 10-08-2009, 11:36 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzshaunda View Post
I was just wondering if someone could give me their perspective on whether or not it is safe for an out of town African American in the town of Tunica? I just purchased a week at a resort there but now I am hearing lots of "horror" stories about the way of culture and how the majority of people in that area are still stuck in the 40s-50s-60s. Can anyone clarify if this is true? I live in Virginia Beach, VA and RARELY EVER have I came into contact with racism and I do mean RARELY EVER. But after watching a HBO special on a Missisisippi town called Charleston and then hearing stories from others I am reluctant to make the trip. I love to travel and will go anywhere but not if there is a chance I wont return...lol
Yeah, because Mississippi is untouchable. We are like the mob or something. So many African American people are murdered here all the time and you never hear about it on the news, because they are afraid to report it.

We have the largest population of African American people in the nation, not because they choose to live here or because we get along, but because we have to keep a steady supply of them to murder.

Seriously... can you see how ridiculous the whole thing sounds? Like we are some kind of barbaric neanderthals. Do you really think there are 49 states where you are perfectly safe, and 1 where you will be murdered for the color of your skin?

You think the United States would even allow something like that? If they would allow that in 1 state, I think you would have a false sense of security in the other 49. Let's use common sense people.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:30 PM

250 posts, read 563,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna2001 View Post
Until after the 1930's Mississippi had a larger black population than white population. Racism is everywhere, but the higher percentage of population of any underclass competing for jobs, the higher the level of prejudice will prevail. Mississippi still has the highest % of blacks of any state in the nation. I had a friend from Minnesota that could not comprehend how Mississippi had such a problem with black people. Over the years, after that original question I have heard him say two things that made me aware how much the population diversity affects prejudice. The first was that he never saw a black person until he was 10 years old. (that would be amazing to anybody raised in Mississippi) The second was his joking several times in a negative way about "pollocks". As far as I know nobody in Mississippi ever had anything against "pollocks" because they were so few that they did not impact our way of life. I moved away years ago but return often. Mississippi has changed but the differences in white culture and black culture is starker there than anyplace I have ever seen. Many white people identify race with culture to such a degree that they cannot separate the two, nor do they fully comprehend how years of discrimination help create that culture. The black culture in Mississippi is the angriest I have ever seen, and the hopelessness they feel is expressed to the outside world as anger and rebellion . Going to a McDonald's and being waited on by a team of black people in poorest areas of Mississippi is an excursion into a hostile, mean environment. I recognize that societal anger is justified, but it re enforces the preconceived notions about black culture that some whites have already developed. Mississippi also has a very large poor white population. They compete for the few jobs that are around and tend to get them. They then have a feeling that they "work for their money" while blacks get benefits that they cannot. (All of these statements are of course generalizations.) I was raised in this very race aware culture, but as a young person I was lucky to find several older black friends that made me aware that it was not race I was uncomfortable with, it was the poverty culture that I saw in public places. As I have grown older and met and become friends with black people from all over the USA and the world I do not believe I see race anymore. But I and many others, who were born into racism, have become enlighten and moved onto a view that is just as sinister.... class-ism. For years liberal whites had no problem making fun of undereducated, poor southern rednecks, and those rednecks now join undereducated poor black southerners as the group that will be left behind. Poor language skills (and straight teeth) have become the new way to determine who we will look down upon in the world inside and outside of Mississippi. To summarize, I think Mississippi is in the same place with this shift from racism to class-ism as the rest of the country. But being the poorest and blackest state in the nation it may take years for outsiders to realize that Mississippi too has moved into the "post" racist world and joined the country’s other elitists in our distain for the uneducated. Black or white.
Well said. Anyway just to add a few facts in terms of blacks %age comparison to other states. MS has the largest proportion of African Americans...say 37% (1073000) out of population of 2.9m+. For %age LA, GA, SC, NC have higher percentage of African Americans(blacks) population than MS. The state with the largest African American(blacks) population is NEW YORK

Old 10-19-2009, 11:47 AM

37 posts, read 133,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Yeah, because Mississippi is untouchable. We are like the mob or something. So many African American people are murdered here all the time and you never hear about it on the news, because they are afraid to report it.

We have the largest population of African American people in the nation, not because they choose to live here or because we get along, but because we have to keep a steady supply of them to murder.

Seriously... can you see how ridiculous the whole thing sounds? Like we are some kind of barbaric neanderthals. Do you really think there are 49 states where you are perfectly safe, and 1 where you will be murdered for the color of your skin?

You think the United States would even allow something like that? If they would allow that in 1 state, I think you would have a false sense of security in the other 49. Let's use common sense people.
I think you're building a straw man. I agree that the poster is a little "overly concerned" about this particular area, but don't you think he/or she is bringing up a legitimate concern based on the HISTORY of the area? I know that Mississippi has improved in racial matters. But so has Harlem, and it has a much lower crime rate. However, if a white person brought up safety concerns about Harlem, and me knowing that the community is much safer and has less racial tension, I am not going to mock and joke about the person who brought up those concerns.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:59 AM

388 posts, read 855,977 times
I don't think it is safe for anyone! Lets all hide out in our homes with our guns!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi