U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:47 AM

3,927 posts, read 7,876,944 times

Advertisements

I told my dh about the 'timer' for the water heater and he is very interested. Does anyone know where one can purchase these timers for the water heater?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 10:59 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,877,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
I told my dh about the 'timer' for the water heater and he is very interested. Does anyone know where one can purchase these timers for the water heater?
See the post in the Kentucky forum about incorrect meter readings.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:46 PM
NWS

721 posts, read 1,480,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
I just checked online home depot and lowes sell them (approx $40-$60).
Any good hardware or plumbing store should have them. My Electrician bought the unit and installed it for $100 total.
If you are good with electrical wiring work its not hard but but if you're not sure hire someone.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:09 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,683,833 times
In Florida we are told that the 1/3 of our total electric used in a home is used by the Hot Water Heater... We discovered FPL was very close to their estimate because our first, second and third month savings was $228. We continue to save however the cost of the solar heater was $5,400 and the cost of our pool solar heater was $5,250.

When we lived in PA we installed an off peak meter. I am not sure if your county permits this meter or if the electric company abides by a certain "Off Time" but if a person can use it, the device works great. Easy to read because it is just another electric meter outside/inside and the electric company controls the on and off times. Be careful not to connect your A/C to it because it can get very warm during the day with just the A/C fan running.....

Old 08-25-2009, 07:47 PM

you guys are great....we will be sure to get one and see if that helps us out. I know it can't hurt. The bills are driving me insane and I can only imagine when they go up on October. Sigh.

Are they called Hot Water Heater Timers?

Old 08-25-2009, 08:22 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,683,833 times
Let's chat about saving electric.

If the HWH times just shuts the device off then it may not save a lot of electric because the HWH has to take time to bring the water up to the set temperature. An "Off Peak" meter does the same action but the devices must be online with the meter and the electric company charges are much less.... Not 50% less but around 30%. Every applicane on line with the meter has no electric going to it because the electric company sends a "pulse" to the meter during the average "peak" usage time and the meter is turned off...No electric to the devices on the same line as the meter.

Ther is another device and it is small but can be costly at first and it brings Instant Hot Water without storage. So it is small and tankless....Tankless Water Heater Buying Guide

Old 08-25-2009, 09:35 PM

783 posts, read 1,933,432 times
It takes the same amount of energy to heat 30 gallons of water no matter how long it takes (save for heat losses). Any relatively new water heater can heat the vessel to working temp in less than 30 minutes - if it draws 1500W (roughly ten amps) that's less than 1kw/hr (maybe a dime) to heat a tank of water and that is assuming you were unfortunate enough to need the tank of hot water when the water heater had been shut down.

My last bill (just got it today) was like 240 bucks. I paid 169 because I am on a payment leveling program. The month before was closer to 300 bucks and the month before that was also near 250. My house is still under renovation and I've recently had a spa and central heat and air installed, so I'm hoping at worse it all balances out (the spa will use more electricity but the giant, OLD, window AC unit that was struggling to cool the whole house is no longer running 24/7).

It's back to 60-ish degree nights for now, and mid 80 afternoons... ahh, bliss. I love when it cools enough to drive off the skeeters and the sweaty, stinky afternoons.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:09 AM
NWS

721 posts, read 1,480,116 times
From what I've read a water heater timer can save around 25kWh/mo.
Depending on how much hot water you use and how efficient your current water heater is maybe less, maybe more.
The newer ones are more efficient so the savings would be less. At that usage the timer would pay for itself in 2-3 years.
Granted its not a huge life altering saving but we were trying to gain a cumulative monthly savings.
Tankless water heaters are great. They are very costly. I really wanted to install them but my plumber begged me not to.
He said the gas ones are great but the electric ones not so great. He told me some clients find they can't meet the demand as well as a gas one.
He basically said "I can do it. It will cost you more I will make more money, but you won't be happy".
So I went with the most energy efficient tank heaters I could get.
If you have gas tankless will pay for itself in a few years and is probably the way to go if you can afford the upfront costs.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:13 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,455,349 times
We live in Northeast Tennessee and the central air never goes off 72 degrees. Our bill averages about 130 dollars a month to cool or heat a 2140 sq. ft. home. I do love the TVA.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:32 AM

Well I'm not so fond of TVA at the moment. Raising rates 8% to help pay for their spill really gets to me, isn't that what they should have insurance for? Or at the least, a reserve fund for such disasters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi