Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 09:55 AM

10 posts, read 43,391 times

Advertisements

I have recently relocated to Hernando from Southern California after an early and well deserved retirement from public service. This place is amazing.

Coffee early with the "fellas" at higher Ground Coffee shop. Golf at Hernando Hills Country club. Meeting and talking to young people who call me "sir" and are aware of how to use the words please and thank you in conversation. The beautiful, green trees. The police officers who wave back. The great location and friendly people. It all adds up to Heaven...I am so happy I found this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 14,440 times
Thank you for saying about Hernando what I feel about my home state. Of course there are things to be desired, and people can be found that are not hospitable...but for the most part the people here are kind and warm. Many are very well educated and progressive in their thinking, and most are open to new ideas. The complaints I see in this forum describe all people everywhere. Hats off to you...you truly do understand Bloom Where Planted! (Oh, I also teach my son to say Ma'am and Sir...it is sweet, isn't it?) ~~waves bye~~~

Old 04-28-2007, 07:39 PM

78 posts, read 394,606 times
It is nice to hear someone appreciate Hernando instead of gripping about high car tags as many new folks do.
You should have seen it when I came here in 1973. A high dollar house was $35,000 & Colemans & The Dip were about the only place to eat.
Hope all this growth doesn't ruin it

Old 05-21-2007, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,002 times
I have lived in Hernando since I was 6.....more than 40 years.....and couldn't agree with you more!

There have been a LOT of changes, but the city has done a good job of holding on to the small town atmosphere.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:54 PM

60 posts, read 232,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindes View Post
I have recently relocated to Hernando from Southern California after an early and well deserved retirement from public service. This place is amazing.

Coffee early with the "fellas" at higher Ground Coffee shop. Golf at Hernando Hills Country club. Meeting and talking to young people who call me "sir" and are aware of how to use the words please and thank you in conversation. The beautiful, green trees. The police officers who wave back. The great location and friendly people. It all adds up to Heaven...I am so happy I found this place.

Yes, 1 of my daughters and her husband and baby live in Hernando....they love it! She said there has been a lot of controversy there recently with the new law being passed that noone can smoke inside anywhere in Hernando and several businesses are protesting....like Coleman's BarBQ where people meet in the mornings to drink coffee and talk...the owner also smokes and I heard he is very upset.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:20 PM

78 posts, read 394,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshine480 View Post
Yes, 1 of my daughters and her husband and baby live in Hernando....they love it! She said there has been a lot of controversy there recently with the new law being passed that noone can smoke inside anywhere in Hernando and several businesses are protesting....like Coleman's BarBQ where people meet in the mornings to drink coffee and talk...the owner also smokes and I heard he is very upset.
That is not true about about the smoking at Colemans. The day the ban went into effect he sat down at the booth with me & told he was pleased the city had done it. That he wanted to but this way the blame will go to the city.
Just a few weeks ago he told me business had picked up since the ban.
As far as I know the city police has not cited the first person on smoking near the door of a business. I see smokers standing by the door everyday around the square.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindes View Post

Yes my daughter and sil love it there, glad you do too!

Old 08-14-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia22 View Post
Thank you for saying about Hernando what I feel about my home state. Of course there are things to be desired, and people can be found that are not hospitable...but for the most part the people here are kind and warm. Many are very well educated and progressive in their thinking, and most are open to new ideas. The complaints I see in this forum describe all people everywhere. Hats off to you...you truly do understand Bloom Where Planted! (Oh, I also teach my son to say Ma'am and Sir...it is sweet, isn't it?) ~~waves bye~~~
Good for you! I wish more parents taught their kids this way. My girls have always called their elders Miss and their name and they say sir.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank1938 View Post
It is nice to hear someone appreciate Hernando instead of gripping about high car tags as many new folks do.
You should have seen it when I came here in 1973. A high dollar house was $35,000 & Colemans & The Dip were about the only place to eat.
Hope all this growth doesn't ruin it
Well, the price of housing has gone up all over the country, not just here. My daughter and her husband are paying I think $900 something house note, but it's worth it to them and they have a very nice house! I hope Hernando stays the same, but crime is spreading rapidly everywhere...there is no safe place to live really anymore..very sad.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara11111 View Post
I have lived in Hernando since I was 6.....more than 40 years.....and couldn't agree with you more!

There have been a LOT of changes, but the city has done a good job of holding on to the small town atmosphere.
I agree Cara! I love the small town atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi