U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 05:41 PM

29 posts, read 75,963 times

Advertisements

From an artical I read that I think was posted in the Daily Journal a while back stated that production workers would start out @ $15/hr. and top out was $21/hr. Can any one else confirm this as well? I have friend that works @ the Nissan plant in Canton, Ms and he said that it would definitly be a high paying job Nissan started out the same way as far as pay scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 07:10 PM

82 posts, read 153,205 times
Yes, I read the same thing. I believe it was 15.50 starting, to topping out at 21.00 in three years.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:58 PM

46 posts, read 106,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa View Post
From an artical I read that I think was posted in the Daily Journal a while back stated that production workers would start out @ $15/hr. and top out was $21/hr. Can any one else confirm this as well? I have friend that works @ the Nissan plant in Canton, Ms and he said that it would definitly be a high paying job Nissan started out the same way as far as pay scale.
Yes it's 15 an hour to start to 21 an hour, the proctor at the computer assessement made the same statement before we watched the video about toyota.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:54 AM

6 posts, read 16,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR Oracle View Post
Like many others here (and even not looking here yet) I was seriously interested in working at the plant. I decided to do some research into what to expect. It seems Toyota has been working for a few years on a plan to lower their average wage in the US. It is starting to look like 15 bucks an hour and some over hyped benefits is what to expect. I KNOW how hard the work can be, and someone mentioned "multi-skilled" workers could expect 20 to 25 an hour. I don't think that's totally correct, the "multi-skilled MAINTENANCE" workers could expect that. Which is MUCH different than working on the line and requires a MUCH higher skill set (read the requirements on the applications for said positions). The more companies want to decrease employee pay the more it reminds me why unions were organized in the first place, they may have gone overboard not long ago, but now companies are doing a serious backlash against workers. I can only hope for those that take jobs with Toyota that when they realize they're not getting the dream job and opportunity they expected, that they get the chance to join a union. After all, it's obvious without unions in this country, we'd all be being treated like workers in China (Unions brought the average wage up for everyone, not just members). I've never belonged to a union and never saw their importance until I realized what's happening now. Especially after our tax dollars paid these companies millions of dollars in incentives to build and thus sell here, who's gonna be able to afford to live decent and afford the products? My guess is at 15 bucks an hour, a LOT of people are gonna walk away from these line jobs. I was hoping they'd be paying a bit higher, considering the work involved and lack of a union. Turns out, without a union it's just another shift work job. For now. Not too offend, just my observation. If allowed I'll post links to a few articles so others can be informed and make up their own minds and opinions.
I also did research into Toyota. The multiskilled maintence workers require no higher level of skill then a high school graduate. They will begin at 18 an hour and they top out at 25 an hour. Plus you get full benefits which is health dental and vision insurance. You get 12 paid holidays, vacation depending on how long you been with them, and you can participate in a vechile lease program. As for the jobs that pay 15 an hour, they get the same benefits, but doesn't require you even to have finished high school. Yes they are trying to lower wages, but you have to look at that the UAW is only paying 19 an hour to the workers that have been with them 5 to 10 years. Go to google type in Toyota benefits and you will find a list of the benefits they offer. So if it just 15 an hour, it better then other companies paying only 9 an hour around here.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:57 AM

6 posts, read 16,909 times
Here is what the local newspaper had to say on the Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Mississippi, Inc. (TMMMS)

Auto plant already producing jobs | hattiesburgamerican.com | Hattiesburg American

Old 11-02-2010, 05:24 PM

5 posts, read 15,301 times
Hi every1..I tested at Canton Oct 12th ..no word yet .. looking at forum frm Ontario seems as they were notified if they failed by letter ..frm this post looks like simulations are happening at WIN centers closer to Tupelo so far..so I'm just waiting..will update if I hear something.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:37 AM

[quote=dmarty26;16502366]Hi every1..I tested at Canton Oct 12th ..no word yet .. looking at forum frm Ontario seems as they were notified if they failed by letter ..frm this post looks like simulations are happening at WIN centers closer to Tupelo so far..so I'm just waiting..will update if I hear something.[/quote
.The only work simulation site is at ICC-Belden WIN Center. As far as I know that will be the only testing site set up for the day 2 testing.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:44 AM

If you are going for day 2 (work simulation) be ready for a real hard work out. These jobs are not for the weak or faint of heart.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:49 AM

301 posts, read 1,184,972 times
I guess people need to start peeling off those bumber stickers that state: Buy American or Apply for Japanese Welfare

Old 11-04-2010, 05:41 PM

29 posts, read 75,963 times
I could agree more these jobs are for people who are serouis about change.........I just finshed my day 2 and I started out on the weights and I had know idea I had leg muscles until today and if your nota strong minded person than you'll give up because your body will constantly remind you that it's ready to quit but you have you keep pushing needless to say I completed all three parts but you better be prepard not to scare you but it's physical and very repetitive may god bless you all because he blessed me today I was told we should here something in a time frame of 1wk. - 2 mos. so now it' s back to the old waiting game again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or