U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-30-2009, 08:29 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,168,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunner123 View Post
Memphis is that bad!!! Just watch the "First 48" on T.V. Very dangerous if you do not know where you are going.
Yes, everyone should base their opinions around a single television show.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 01:30 PM

9,049 posts, read 16,475,389 times
I went out clubbing one night in Memphis several years ago and made the mistake of coming down Beale St, I didn't know anything about the 'Memphis in May' thing at the time. I remember traffic slowing to about 5mph and people being very aggressive honking horns and getting inches from other's bumpers, people getting out and rocking cars side to side... I didn't hear any gun shots or see fighting but it was definitely an uneasy feeling and I was ready to get the hell outta there.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:08 PM

2,025 posts, read 1,732,035 times
My family members in Memphis live in Germantown. Two decades back, they told me that the street dividing Memphis-proper from Germantown was referred to as The Gaza Strip. I recently asked if that's still what it's called. A cousin laughed, and said "Oh, yeah! But they're coming in over the wall!" Cousins are building farther out.... Holly Springs, to be exact.

People who live in older neighborhoods like Central Gardens keep semiautomatic weapons to defend their homes (and lives) when THE EARTHQUAKE hits. The quake could hit at any minute.

Women who work in downtown offices keep track shoes in their purses, and will not go to their cars before taking off their heels and putting on their running shoes. I know one woman who has outrun two would-be attackers. She assumes one will eventually catch her, and has planned to use the time while she's being robbed and raped to pray before being killed.

Someone told me about a woman they knew who had her Cadillac stolen. She happened to spot it in front of a store the next week. She didn't really have to check the vin number, because her various stickers were still quite visible on the car (she checked anyway, and even took photos). She called the police, who naturally did absolutely nothing. She had the tag number traced to an address, went there, saw her car, called the police....they STILL did absolutely nothing. Her insurance company told her to forget about it, because the Memphis police NEVER do anything about anything.

A beautiful girl, a few years back, was kidnapped by 'inner-city-youths', from her 'high security' Mud Island apartment complex, taken somewhere, gang-raped for hours, then run over by an SUV until she was dead. A middle-aged woman was car-jacked at the Sonic, while sharing a burger with her Giant Schnauzer, in a nice neighborhood, driven to the country, beaten in the head with a claw hammer, and allowed to lie there dying for twelve or fifteen hours, while the perps' families knew exactly what had transpired, and that a woman lay dying and in need of help....

None of these are unusual events for Memphis. And none of these are 'ghetto' stories. Things are REALLY rough in the 'challenged' areas.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
My family members in Memphis live in Germantown. Two decades back, they told me that the street dividing Memphis-proper from Germantown was referred to as The Gaza Strip. I recently asked if that's still what it's called. A cousin laughed, and said "Oh, yeah! But they're coming in over the wall!" Cousins are building farther out.... Holly Springs, to be exact.

People who live in older neighborhoods like Central Gardens keep semiautomatic weapons to defend their homes (and lives) when THE EARTHQUAKE hits. The quake could hit at any minute.

Women who work in downtown offices keep track shoes in their purses, and will not go to their cars before taking off their heels and putting on their running shoes. I know one woman who has outrun two would-be attackers. She assumes one will eventually catch her, and has planned to use the time while she's being robbed and raped to pray before being killed.

Someone told me about a woman they knew who had her Cadillac stolen. She happened to spot it in front of a store the next week. She didn't really have to check the vin number, because her various stickers were still quite visible on the car (she checked anyway, and even took photos). She called the police, who naturally did absolutely nothing. She had the tag number traced to an address, went there, saw her car, called the police....they STILL did absolutely nothing. Her insurance company told her to forget about it, because the Memphis police NEVER do anything about anything.

A beautiful girl, a few years back, was kidnapped by 'inner-city-youths', from her 'high security' Mud Island apartment complex, taken somewhere, gang-raped for hours, then run over by an SUV until she was dead. A middle-aged woman was car-jacked at the Sonic, while sharing a burger with her Giant Schnauzer, in a nice neighborhood, driven to the country, beaten in the head with a claw hammer, and allowed to lie there dying for twelve or fifteen hours, while the perps' families knew exactly what had transpired, and that a woman lay dying and in need of help....

None of these are unusual events for Memphis. And none of these are 'ghetto' stories. Things are REALLY rough in the 'challenged' areas.
Hmm... I know several beautiful young women who work in downtown Memphis, and none of them have ever been chased nor do they store running shoes in their purses. It may be because they are not afraid of their own shadows.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Hmm... I know several beautiful young women who work in downtown Memphis, and none of them have ever been chased nor do they store running shoes in their purses. It may be because they are not afraid of their own shadows.
Yeah, and I bet they're all thrilled to see you approaching.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:26 PM
NWS

721 posts, read 1,028,348 times
Quote:
...I know one woman who has outrun two would-be attackers. She assumes one will eventually catch her, and has planned to use the time while she's being robbed and raped to pray before being killed...
If someone is sitting around with you explaining what prayers they will say when they are
eventually robbed, raped and murdered perhaps you should have suggested counseling?

Old 11-03-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
If someone is sitting around with you explaining what prayers they will say when they are
eventually robbed, raped and murdered perhaps you should have suggested counseling?
Actually, being robbed, raped, and murdered is a reasonable contingency to plan for, if one is a female resident of Memphis.

What I did was offer her an apartment, free, in one of my buildings (in another town).

Old 11-03-2009, 07:23 PM
NWS

721 posts, read 1,028,348 times
Quote:
Actually, being robbed, raped, and murdered is a reasonable contingency to plan for, if one is a female resident of Memphis.

What I did was offer her an apartment, free, in one of my buildings (in another town).
I'm glad you mentioned that now.
If someone is at the point where they feel that being robbed, raped and murdered is an inevitability they really need to move to a place where they can feel safe.
A person can't live their life feeling like a prospective victim.
I really am glad you were able to help her.
She sounds like she had lost all hope.
I hope she is doing better now.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:32 PM

Gloria, please come whisk me off in your Lexus and save me from this horrible, horrible Jackson! Gasp...

Old 12-05-2009, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,574 times
I live right in Memphis, In Orange Mound. Sadly enough, Memphis has become a War Zone- a war zone between neighborhood gangs called 4 Way, Young Mob, Trap Mob, Trap Squad, Zone 6ix, Zone 5ive, SMG Money Gang, KGK (Killa getting Kake), and FSW (firestone Warriors). Just a few days ago, on Tuesday, a dude was killed and he was supposed a member of one of the gangs (4-way) by some members of Young Mob. Wednesday, 3 Seniors at my school Melrose jumped an 11 grader who was telling everybody he had something to do with the killing. (he was Young Mob). after he got jumped, he yelled out "My *****s gone be up here tomorrow to shoot this Bi*ch up.And that's on the Mob!!" That night, people from teh school started getting text messages about Young Mob coming to the school the next day. Thursday, Police had the school locked- down while we were there and had teh street blocked off. Later that day, someone was shoot about two blocks from 4 way territory. People say he killed the first guy or the people who killed him killed the first guy.

Things ARE as crazy as the medis portrays it to be.

Text Threats To Melrose High School Students Warn of Retaliation For Deadly Shooting - WREG (http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-text-threats-lead-to-extra-police-story,0,5141049.story - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi