U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:12 AM

82 posts, read 208,286 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of applying to the law school at Ole Miss. Been researching Oxford online and so far I really like what I see. I'm an older student (41) and will be moving to the area (assuming I'm accepted) alone. The community is really important to me as I will probably end up staying in the area after I complete school so I have some questions.

I want to stay away from apt complexes and wonder what is the availability of rental condos/homes? I've seen prices from $600-$1500/month. What is the average? Should I look for housing in Oxford or outlying areas?

Oxford seems pretty safe, but how safe is the area?

What social opportunities are avaialble for my age range? I'm not into the bar scene.

For the past 11 years I've lived near West Palm Beach, FL and am originally from the northeast. I've always lived in a metropolitan area with lots of shops and restaurants. What is Oxford like in regard to shopping, eating, bars, etc?

I'm hoping to get to Oxford before the end of the year to check everything out for myself, but any information would be really helpful. Hopefully my questions aren't too generic.

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 08:48 AM

783 posts, read 1,936,454 times
I can't imagine a place any "safer" than Oxford. By the same token, I can't imagine a place more boring.

I'm a member of the center for the study of southern culture and, aside from the annual faulkner festival, I really can't think of any reason to go to Oxford. I used to live in Ithaca NY and hated that because I thought it the most isolated, boring college town I'd ever lived, but Oxford set a new standard on that.

It's not a bad place, I just find it incredibly boring. The worse part is not that there's little to do, it's that (like Ithaca) its location makes it a real journey to venture anywhere less boring.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:48 AM

1,100 posts, read 2,606,016 times
Oxford is full of restaurants, live music, and culture. It is routinely listed as one of the ten best places to live in America.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
I can't imagine a place any "safer" than Oxford. By the same token, I can't imagine a place more boring.

I'm a member of the center for the study of southern culture and, aside from the annual faulkner festival, I really can't think of any reason to go to Oxford. I used to live in Ithaca NY and hated that because I thought it the most isolated, boring college town I'd ever lived, but Oxford set a new standard on that.

It's not a bad place, I just find it incredibly boring. The worse part is not that there's little to do, it's that (like Ithaca) its location makes it a real journey to venture anywhere less boring.
What did you find so boring about it? I grew up in a college town (Princeton) and I can't say it was exciting, but had everything one needed. Based on looking at travel arrnagements Oxford is only 75 miles from Memphis. There must be plenty to do there.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:34 PM

There's plenty to do in Memphis, but that 75 miles is sorta indirect. I live like 90 miles from Memphis and the thing is, if you left Oxford at the same time I left my house, I'd bet I'd get there before you.

Being listed as one of the "ten best places to live" doesn't mean a place can't be boring. Who did the rating? Family Circle, or Larry Flynt? I wouldn't take the word of either because neither really reflects my interests. Oxford has a mall and dining places and the rest just like any other town - it's just the "variety" I guess I don't like. The mall had no place I cared to shop, there's a couple of nice places to eat but who wants to go to the same place over and over?

I find Starkville very boring as well, but Starkville has the advantage of being close to Columbus and not terribly far from Tuscaloosa. I like Jackson better than the others - that's why I like where I am now. Jackson may not be teeming with diversity, but there's more going on than in Oxford.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:15 PM

Hmmmm...thank you for your perspective. I am planning a trip to Oxford to check it out before the end of the year. Hopefully I'll be able to spend the weekend in town so I can drive around, check out the square and also see what's happening on a Friday and Saturday night.

I'm not the life of the party so I'm not looking for a party every night, but certainly don't want to be bored. I'm used to being near two major malls, Walmart, Target, tons of restaurants, giant Barnes & Noble, etc. I realize that it will be different, but wonder exactly how different.

Thanks again, poptones.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:03 PM

Sometimes in these discussions I look at the person's profile to get an idea of who they are. I only now looked at yours. I hadn't realized you are female and I see you like to ride. So one thing you might keep in mind is to visit Sturgis when you are here. There's only a couple of businesses that stay year round, but it is the home of one of the various "lil Sturgis" bike rallies held every year. One nice thing about Oxford is there's nice places to ride, and Mississippi in general has some nice riding. The roads are not all the best and there's no canyons, but it's a pretty place just the same especially in the spring when it's really wet and everything is uber green. Natchez Trace is a pretty ride (although straight and flat enough to be a bore at times) and there's lots of roadside stuff to see.

There's plenty of stores there you mentioned. There's a mall with clothing and books and music shops too, but local stores are going to reflect what the locals value. That's what I find most boring about the place - lots of places to buy dockers and duck head and cole hann, but not a whole lot of diversity beyond that. There is a Nagoya in Oxford, which rocks. Nagoya has some awesome sushi! There's also two stick, which has live music and sushi. I really like Nagoya's food but two stick may have a more inviting atmosphere - kinda depends on everyone's mood at the time. I usually like being attended to, but sometimes it can be annoying.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:24 PM

Poptones - I probably should have mentioned that I was female in my original post and that's why safety of the community is important to me. Plus I'll be 42 by the time I move there so I'm looking for different types of activities and social interactions than someone in their 20's.

I'm glad you mentioned the great riding in that area. Being in south Florida I live in the land of the straight and flat right now. I was in Alaska over the summer and had to re-learn how to ride twisties and hills (the first day was a bit unnerving). I'm very excited to check out the riding opportunities up there, especially being close to Tennessee and not too far from Alabama and Louisiana. My bike is going to get quite a workout! BTW - do you ride or are you just familiar with the roads?

I'm not a huge shopper other than books...I'm a book junkie, but I see that there's a great bookstore right in Oxford. As for malls, I do like variety of shops, but what I can't get in person I can order online (also much easier!). What the heck is duck head?

As for food, I'm not too adventurous although I do like variety..not just burgers and steaks. I do like some sushi and will have to try one of the places you mentioned. I do like fine dining on occasion, but being a motorcyclist I've eaten in some pretty crappy places on the road and I can always go for good bar food.

Right now I'm working on dates to get there and lodging in town.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:09 PM

I like to ride but haven't had a bike since I sold my Sportster back in LA. I had a bike here for a while but left it behind when I left to go TO LA I was frightened to death of the prospect of riding in LA after living here so long, but after I got settled I was cutting traffic like the rest. Anyway, I meant to buy a bike but never did and now the house has pretty much ensured I won't have the cash to spare for another bike for a while.

TN rocks the twisties. I used to live up there and, while I didnt have a bike back then, I had some journeys in my Mustang that still give me shudders - curves that arc gracefully along mountainsides that become holy terrors at 130MPH... that sort of thing. I'm still amazed I didn't die. Anyway, you can get on 25W right in Starkville and take it all the way to Knoxville and beyond and it's quite a nice ride.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:18 PM

I rode some roads in TN last year. I was riding a Honda Shadow 750 at the time and for a little woman it was a lot of work muscling her around. We rode the Dragon but I swear it wasn't as bad as the roads leading up to it. Anyway, I ride a BMW F800ST (sport tourer) now and am dying to take her on some great twisty roads with great scenery. Don't know if you've ever ridden in Florida, but all you see is straight, flat roads with palm tree after palm tree. It's not until you get further north you actually get some decent roads.

The only good part about living in Florida is that you can ride all year long. It does get cold in January and February and I must admit I've used my heated grips a few times, but mostly it's beautiful all year long. Too bad I can't take the bike up to MS to check it out, but it's too long a ride to do on my own.

Oh, I have another question. I'm a big sports fan...football, baseball, hockey. Since Mississippi has no professional teams are folks more into the local college teams or are there semi-pro teams?

Last edited by pinkjacket; 10-04-2009 at 04:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi