U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 7,494 times

Advertisements

hello, im evie...
im currently living in Raleigh - soon to be moving to Biloxi, MS with my husband. He will be going to tech school at the Keesler AFB. Any ladies out there living/used to live on base? im so curious to know what it's like. anything, gimmie anything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 08:04 PM

418 posts, read 1,363,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cevie6309 View Post
hello, im evie...
im currently living in Raleigh - soon to be moving to Biloxi, MS with my husband. He will be going to tech school at the Keesler AFB. Any ladies out there living/used to live on base? im so curious to know what it's like. anything, gimmie anything!
I would be very surprised if they had any on-base housing for families of people going to tech school; that's usually reserved for permanent-party members. More than likely, you will have to live in an apartment. Has your husband talked to the housing office there? If not, he needs to do that right away!!

Old 10-29-2009, 08:59 AM

5,349 posts, read 10,850,045 times
I used to live on base but I was attending tech school so I was living in the dorms. I don't know that there is base housing at Keesler. I liked the base and the area well enough though.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:04 AM

356 posts, read 1,218,282 times
I lived on a lot of military bases when I was growing up but that was a while ago. I don't know if it has changed but in those days your rank determined whether you got base housing also. I know when my husband was in the Air Force, we couldn't get housing on base until he was an E-4. That may have changed though.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:10 PM

767 posts, read 2,004,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cevie6309 View Post
. anything, gimmie anything!
Right outside the main gate on Pass Road is an excellent little hole in the wall Greek restaurant called Mr. Greek. Busy for lunch.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:16 PM

40 posts, read 125,756 times
Ooh, I miss Mr. Greek! I moved away from Biloxi about a month ago. Miss it terribly.

To the original poster...I'm not military so I can't comment specifically on Keesler or housing. But I can tell you that there are a lot of apartments very closeby. I can recommend some complexes and tell you which to steer clear of if you find out you need apartment housing. Just send me a direct message. I lived in Biloxi for two and a half years and my apartment complex was within a mile of Keesler.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,494 times
well from what ive gathered, because matt will be in school for a year (air traffic control schooling supposedly takes the longest, i guess besides pilot schooling) i was told i could move with him. maybe that does mean finding an apartment. everything changes so often. im not sure what the deal is half the time.

i was also told that by the time matt gets out of basic, he'll be at E-3 ?? maybe that makes a base housing difference??

horseyjen...i will get in touch with you if i end up needing to search for a home off base. thanks so much! right now, here in raleigh, matt & i & his brother are living in a not-so-nice area. ive never been to Mississippi, but it'd be cool to find an apartment that's not so close to crackhead prostitutes (that live below & pretend to speak in tounges all night long). and if i didnt see blue & red through my window so often, that'd be cool too

*ps i LOVE greek food! now im really excited!

thank you everyone whose responding. its hard to plan for the unknown.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:44 PM

356 posts, read 1,218,282 times
Unless things have changed, he'll be an E-3 after tech school, not after basic. You should be able to find an apartment in a nice area in Biloxi. A lot of airmen live off base.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,510 times
So what are the good apartments close by?

Old 11-15-2009, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,493 times
ATC tech school is only 12 weeks long. It is not a year long. The military is not going to pay to move you to keesler- when I was there in Jan of 2009 they were still trying to rebuild from Katrina. ATC tech school is a VERY hard school. Your spouse needs to spend his 12 weeks focusing on the school and nothing else. I don't know where or who you are getting your information from, but it is wrong. My husband is ATC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi