U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-12-2007, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 12,071 times
Red face Moving to Gulfport in Jan

Hi.
Will soon be moving to Gulfport. I have never been to Gulfport so I am clueless....... If anyone has any information about the best parts of the city to live in, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 10:21 AM

5,080 posts, read 2,684,192 times
Ask some questions, and I will do my best to give you the skinny on the area. I have recently moved here myself. So I have a fresh take on the area, and there are a couple people who have been here a while that can give you a better perspective of how it is now from what it was like.

Everyone says to live above I-10 in Orange Grove area. I agree it is a very nice area to live. I am down near the SeaBee Base. In what some call the hood. It is cleaner, and not as bad as it once used to be, thanks to Katrina cleaning house. I'm not in the worst part from my understanding, a place called the quarters.. that is located near Long Beach. I have had no problems so far, where I am. Knock on wood.

You can also give Ocean Springs a looking into, it is all part of this area.. just across the back-bay. And it is very nice over there.

One thing stay out of the water.. but if you cant, watch the news and check the water conditions before ever hitting the water here.

Last edited by Muhnay; 05-13-2007 at 10:29 AM..

Old 05-13-2007, 11:47 AM

275 posts, read 756,642 times
if you have to get in the water, (like me)
Go south of the islands. if you have a boat,
or go in the ship island boat,
water is nice and clean on south side of isle.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:38 PM

3,927 posts, read 5,468,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post

One thing stay out of the water.. but if you cant, watch the news and check the water conditions before ever hitting the water here.

why stay out of the water?

Old 05-13-2007, 07:35 PM

106 posts, read 203,558 times
I go through Gulfport every now and then. Just seems like most of the neighborhoods I've been through are ghettos.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:06 PM

275 posts, read 756,642 times
depend where you go thru, on main roads, hwy 49, you drive thru north gpt.
South of hudsons is not a good spot IMHO.
There are nice places, you just have to know where they are at.
If your just driving thru, your not gonna find them.

As far as beach goes, still lots of debris from katrina.
They cleaned up big stuff, but I wouldn't walk barefoot on the beach.

Some areas have been cleaned good, look for crowds, (in front of Edgewater
mall)

Things are gonna get better.....

Old 05-13-2007, 09:18 PM

3,927 posts, read 5,468,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITBOSS View Post
I go through Gulfport every now and then. Just seems like most of the neighborhoods I've been through are ghettos.
I agree. Then I went on down to Pass and Waveland and honestly, I just broke down and cried. Yes, the majical Gulf Coast of Biloxi and Gulfport are gone, the old charm of the antebellum homes with their richly ornate fences and stately old trees live on only in our memories.

But, the cities are far from dead, there is a heartbeat that grows louder and louder each time I visit. Building has increased and there is a bustle around again.

Yet, in Pass and Waveland, I hear the land crying out for help. The starkness of seeing overgrown yards where once they were lovengly cared for; of seeing stilts with no home attached. Seeing shells of homes, harsh reminders of where the waves and wind pounded them still vividly visible. And saddest of all is seeing those large X's in a circle with smudged writing reminding us of lives lost.

Still, even here, there are minute signs of life; showing us the courage people have after being brought to thier knees. Life goes on for the remainder of us, and hopefully, we will take the lessons learned from such a disaster and become stonger showing courage through our tears.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:38 AM

5,080 posts, read 2,684,192 times
The Water out passed Ship Island is still crystal Blue, can see right though it. The Island is much smaller now. I hear there is work that is gonna be done to restore it... or increase its size some.

The area is cleaning up nicely, I see improvements daily. Its a great time to be here, change can be a good thing.. yes what was lost will be missed. But I want to see the glass half full and think of the great changes that are coming to our area.

Also watch the news, they tell you where some areas have increased bacteria levels.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:27 PM

29 posts, read 108,050 times
Some of the better parts of Gulfport area are Bayou View which is located off of Pass Rd or can be reached by Hwy 49. There are alot of new subdivisions going up in Orange Grove (this is a area that is North of I-10). South of I-10 there is a area called North Gulfport that has a reputation for drug problems and crime. If you dont mind living about 20 minutes out of Gulfport there is a small town called Saucier which is where I live. It is a little more "country living" than Gulfport but still close enough to town. Lizana is only about 10-15 minutes outside Gulfport and also has alot of new subdivisions being built right off of Hwy.49. The Saucier area property taxes, and automobile tags are cheaper than the ones that are in "Gulfport City Limits" and my water bill is also alot cheaper than most people in Gulfport. Long Beach is 15-25 min.(depending on which area of Gulfport) and has alot of nice little subdivisions also close to Seabee base, but it has some of the highest property tax and auto tags. Pass Christian I would not suggest because of all of the damage from the Hurricane, I am sure that they will recover, but I believe it is going to be a long road ahead.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 12,071 times
Thumbs up Thank you all for responding........

I appreciate all of the responses to my inquiry. We plan on taking a long weekend to travel to Gulfport sometime after July and all of your feedback gave us some great ideas on where to start looking for a place to live. We hope to be close to the CB base.

Thank you all again. I am looking forward to our move. I have never lived anywhere but Texas so this is going to be an adventure.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi