U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 08:47 AM

1,477 posts, read 1,417,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Ole Miss Chancellor Dan Jones recently removed "From Dixie With Love" as the school's fight song after students refused to stop chanting "The South Will Rise Again" ... despite warnings that continued chanting of said, um, "proud" words would result in a ban. The students refused to cooperate and as a result, Jones yanked the song, stating that the school cannot "appear to support those outside our community who advocate a revival of segregation."

So, yeah, you won't be seeing/hearing any of that come Saturday when LSU plays in Oxford. You know what you WILL be seeing? The Ku Klux Klan. Sweet Moses I wish I was joking.
You can read the full story at: KKK Rallying at Ole Miss Football Game to Protest Fight Song > Buster Sports

Old 11-20-2009, 09:22 AM

1,049 posts, read 2,101,794 times
I think political correctness has gone too far, and as a Southerner, I feel the attack on Southern culture has gone too far. However, "From Dixie with Love" does not include the phrase "The South will rise again". The University has the right to stop playing the song if it feels the actions of students are causing harm to the image of the University. I think if they try to take Col. Reb and the name "Ole Miss" though, it will kill the university as we know it.

As for the KKK, it's a shame they still exist, but they are irrelevant in today's society and they know it. I think that is the reason they have changed their methods. No one will take their side and support outright hatred and violence, so they hide behind Christian values. We all know their values are far from Christian.

Is there no way to ban these people from school grounds?

Old 11-20-2009, 11:01 AM

783 posts, read 1,931,800 times
How is saying "the south will rise again" equated with "supporting segregation?" The south was still segregated in 1961, a hundred years after the civil war. We still have stars and bars on the flag. Recognizing your history does not mean you've not learned from it. Making people forget their history, however, dooms them to repeat it.

The south shall rise again... just like my poor old broken down front porch

Old 11-20-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
How is saying "the south will rise again" equated with "supporting segregation?" The south was still segregated in 1961, a hundred years after the civil war. We still have stars and bars on the flag. Recognizing your history does not mean you've not learned from it. Making people forget their history, however, dooms them to repeat it.

The south shall rise again... just like my poor old broken down front porch
The phrase "The South will Rise Again" doesn't advocate the return of segregation to you and me, but to the rest of the country, who doesn't get it, it means we want to return to the pre-civil rights era and enslave other people, lynching, etc.

To many people, just the fact that we are Southern means we support those things. That is just ignorance.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:33 AM

Then we need to help them overcome that ignorance. And silence fosters ignorance.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:56 AM

I wonder if this would all be so much easier if they just renamed Colonel Reb to Colonel Angus? That could change the meaning of the chant completely...

Old 11-20-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
I wonder if this would all be so much easier if they just renamed Colonel Reb to Colonel Angus? That could change the meaning of the chant completely...
Once a woman is introduced to Colonel Angus, she will settle for nothing less...

Old 11-22-2009, 01:58 AM

770 posts, read 746,030 times
There was a dozen of them. This made national news. Fake outrage of a problem that doesn't exist makes for great news.

I'm actually mad at myself that I spend a minute of my life discussing a manufactured news report generated by a dozen GED recipients with flags and gay white costumes.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:34 AM

2,980 posts, read 7,274,970 times
I am just surprised that:

1) They're even still around

2) That they would be allowed to even do a rally despite their past that I wont go into it.

They remind me sort of like the BNP except they make the BNP look like choir boys.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:24 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,825,110 times
Closed for mod review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi