U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-15-2009, 03:12 PM

59 posts, read 125,824 times

Advertisements

I am a native Mississippian and have lived here all of my 32 yrs. I am originally from McComb, in southwest MS and raised in Jackson. I am familiar with central, south and coastal MS, but not northern and northeastern MS. I have never been to the Delta and the only time I've been north is when I travel to Memphis. What is it like? I read the posts on here alot and I notice many people recommend northeastern MS (especially the Tupelo area) to readers. What sets northern MS apart from the rest of the state? Why is so special to you? Maybe one day I will come up for a visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 03:57 PM

843 posts, read 1,214,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSvirgo View Post
I am a native Mississippian and have lived here all of my 32 yrs. I am originally from McComb, in southwest MS and raised in Jackson. I am familiar with central, south and coastal MS, but not northern and northeastern MS. I have never been to the Delta and the only time I've been north is when I travel to Memphis. What is it like? I read the posts on here alot and I notice many people recommend northeastern MS (especially the Tupelo area) to readers. What sets northern MS apart from the rest of the state? Why is so special to you? Maybe one day I will come up for a visit.
North Mississippi is a land of magic and mystery, where dreams come true and Santa Clause visits year-round. It is a natural wonder, filled with floating castles, gingerbread houses, and colorful dragons that roam the countryside... not the mean fire breathing ones, but gleeful, friendly ones.

Ok, sorry, just an attempt at humor to get this thread started.

North Mississippi has some nice places such as Oxford and Tupelo, with more progressive leadership compared to many places in the state, as well as more gritty places such as Clarksdale and Tunica, all rich in history.

North Mississippi is known for its musical heritage, from the delta blues to Elvis Presley. It is also know for its literary influence from authors such as William Faulkner and John Grisham. And BBQ.

It has flat delta, rolling hills, and an abundance of lakes for fishing and water activities.

I don't know if it's any more special than the rest of the state, just different, which can be good. I would say each section of the state has its own culture and feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi