U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2009, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,051 posts, read 2,103,213 times
Reputation: 1396

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
Let me ask you as I will ask others...what are you Happy about as a Mississippian?
Absolutely nothing, of course. How could I be happy living in this god forsaken state with 3 million unhappy people surrounding me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2009, 03:08 PM
 
809 posts, read 1,641,202 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
I would like to see the state give more incentives and tax breaks to those who live and work here in the state rather than those from out-of-state or out-of-country that come here to take advantage of cheap labor.
no argument there. you got my support on that one 110%. Keep the money circulating within the state.

Quote:
I'm a public high school graduate and college graduate from in-state schools, and I received a great education. The sad part is that just 1200 miles northeast of here, I would have a 25% higher salary - not because I'm wanted or needed there, but simply because of location. Mississippi needs to work on not only creating higher paying jobs, but increasing the pay of those of us already working. Have you seen our teacher's salaries? Or how about our police officers? Would you risk your life for $25-30k/year?
again. bullseye. no argument


^^these are the same things I want, including but not limited too:

1. More Industry moving to Mississippi and HIRING Mississippians. Nissan did a wonderful thing moving to Madison but they brought a large portion of their workforce with them via transplants. they could've(now even) hired for training programs so local Universities will have incentives to channel their students in their direction and keep those bright minds IN Mississippi.
2. (a)Infrastructure - Beautify every entrance to every city coming and going so when people visit they go "Wow, that's pretty, let's stop and take a picture in front of the BB King Museum(dream) for example/...lol..
(b) FIX THE ROADS
3. the Visitor Bureau needs a shakedown..they need to step up the Advertising of Mississippi as a place people WANT TO VISIT and not just have to visit...see the difference?


that's just a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 03:10 PM
 
809 posts, read 1,641,202 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Absolutely nothing, of course. How could I be happy living in this god forsaken state with 3 million unhappy people surrounding me?
well at least you got a sense of humor. you have to have it in Mississippi or else...puke uncontrolably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,051 posts, read 2,103,213 times
Reputation: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
well at least you got a sense of humor. you have to have it in Mississippi or else...puke uncontrolably.
I still say it's how you look at things. The debate wasn't about how good or bad you think Mississippi is, it's about the people of Mississippi being happy.

Let me tell you a story... My wife is from Belize and she tells me how happy a life she had there. Belize is a third world country, no fast food, few amenities, etc.... but she was happy, and not because she had the finer things, or possessions, but because people find ways to be happy no matter how little money they have, or possessions, or paved roads (during her time in Belize they had very few paved roads), or points on some quality of life list. She found happiness in the things surrounding her, and all you need to do is pay a little attention to find them.

She says all the time how nice this or that is here in Mississippi compared to Belize. Her nephew came to live with us for a few months and he said the same thing. He couldn't believe how clean and nice it was in Mississippi.

People are spoiled in America, they don't know how good they have it. Yes, even here in Mississippi.

Before you miss the entire point of the post, it's about people being happy in worse places than Mississippi by your standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 07:16 AM
 
809 posts, read 1,641,202 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I still say it's how you look at things. The debate wasn't about how good or bad you think Mississippi is, it's about the people of Mississippi being happy.

Let me tell you a story... My wife is from Belize and she tells me how happy a life she had there. Belize is a third world country, no fast food, few amenities, etc.... but she was happy, and not because she had the finer things, or possessions, but because people find ways to be happy no matter how little money they have, or possessions, or paved roads (during her time in Belize they had very few paved roads), or points on some quality of life list. She found happiness in the things surrounding her, and all you need to do is pay a little attention to find them.

She says all the time how nice this or that is here in Mississippi compared to Belize. Her nephew came to live with us for a few months and he said the same thing. He couldn't believe how clean and nice it was in Mississippi.

People are spoiled in America, they don't know how good they have it. Yes, even here in Mississippi.

Before you miss the entire point of the post, it's about people being happy in worse places than Mississippi by your standards.
I totally agree with you here. but her situation is relative to how she started out in life. and Belize may have been poorer in some respects. but you can't compare that to a person starting out in Mississippi. it's apples and oranges. this is why I wondered who the writer polled to get his "happy" indication. Because , yes, if he had polled your wife he would get a different definition of "happy" in Mississippi compared to if he polled me, a person whose grown up here. It sends a jaded signal to readers from abroad. that's all I'm saying.

This is why I continue to say we shouldn't compare our state to other states. It's about keeping out yard clean whether or not the neighbors keep theirs clean. not let ours get trashy because the neighbors are. be honest with one's self first.

having said that. I am "Happy" for a lot of reasons, but that article left a lot to be desired when pinning down my state as "Happy"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,051 posts, read 2,103,213 times
Reputation: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
I totally agree with you here. but her situation is relative to how she started out in life. and Belize may have been poorer in some respects. but you can't compare that to a person starting out in Mississippi. it's apples and oranges. this is why I wondered who the writer polled to get his "happy" indication. Because , yes, if he had polled your wife he would get a different definition of "happy" in Mississippi compared to if he polled me, a person whose grown up here. It sends a jaded signal to readers from abroad. that's all I'm saying.

This is why I continue to say we shouldn't compare our state to other states. It's about keeping out yard clean whether or not the neighbors keep theirs clean. not let ours get trashy because the neighbors are. be honest with one's self first.

having said that. I am "Happy" for a lot of reasons, but that article left a lot to be desired when pinning down my state as "Happy"
The poll was the same for every state. There are transplants in every state and I feel sure some of them were polled. It's not like they only actively polled only native Mississippians, while searching out and polling transplants in other states. It isn't a conspiracy. The response they got was that we are happy... maybe it's despite our conditions here, maybe people in other states are happy despite their conditions.

I have heard many of your opinions, and that's all they are. Could Mississippi improve? Yes. Could any of the other 49 states improve? Yes.
Just because you aren't happy here, doesn't mean many of us aren't. Enough of us to put us near the top of the list, even.

If someone asked you right now if you're happy, what would you say? That's basically what they did in this poll, for every state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 09:23 AM
 
809 posts, read 1,641,202 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
If someone asked you right now if you're happy, what would you say? That's basically what they did in this poll, for every state.
That's a kneejerk reactionary thought. most people will say yes, they are happy. so why not have all 50 states on that list?

See again, there's a slight jade to the article. and as you said it was probably done randomly with lifers and transplants but you have to understand the articles intent. and honestly I think it was "intended" to mark Mississippi as a happy state eventhough in my heart I'm sure the poll
calculated otherwise.

for example, I could go out in Jackson to a busy Mall and poll 10 people with the simple
question "are you Happy?"...chances are 10 outta 10 are gonna say "Yes"

Now, if I poll those same 10 people with a specific question like
"Are you happy with the way Mississippi's economy is now?"...chances are you will get 9 outta 10 saying "No".

and a simple Question for you jhadorn:
What are you Happy about as a Mississippian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,051 posts, read 2,103,213 times
Reputation: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
That's a kneejerk reactionary thought. most people will say yes, they are happy. so why not have all 50 states on that list?

See again, there's a slight jade to the article. and as you said it was probably done randomly with lifers and transplants but you have to understand the articles intent. and honestly I think it was "intended" to mark Mississippi as a happy state eventhough in my heart I'm sure the poll
calculated otherwise.

for example, I could go out in Jackson to a busy Mall and poll 10 people with the simple
question "are you Happy?"...chances are 10 outta 10 are gonna say "Yes"

Now, if I poll those same 10 people with a specific question like
"Are you happy with the way Mississippi's economy is now?"...chances are you will get 9 outta 10 saying "No".

and a simple Question for you jhadorn:
What are you Happy about as a Mississippian?
I'm happy about many things as a Mississippian.

I'm happy that I live in a slow paced environment with less state government involvement in my life. Currently there are no toll roads, traffic cameras have been deemed unconstitutional, less traffic and congestion, etc.

I'm happy that I live in a state that has so many different influences on the culture of the United States, including music, literature, food, sports, etc.

I'm happy that I live in a state with a diverse population compared to many other states.

I'm happy I live in a state with good air and water quality, good weather, good people, low taxes, less crime, lower cost of living etc.

I'm happy that Mississippi has a range of landscapes such as rolling hills, coastal areas, flat land, etc.

Like I told you, it's how you look at things.

As for asking people if they are happy with the economy of Mississippi, that isn't what the poll was about. If you ask me if i'm happy with the economy of Mississippi, i'm likely to say no, but it does not mean i'm an unhappy person, or even unhappy to live in Mississippi. If you asked me if i'm happy with the economy of the United States, I would say no, but that doesn't mean i'm unhappy to be living in America.

All i'm saying is, people can be happy under many conditions and circumstances.

I doubt anyone thinks there was anything scientific about that poll. It was a simple question that people answered, and the answer happened to be yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 10:24 AM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,135 posts, read 21,829,143 times
Reputation: 23216
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I know the PC police will bash me, but the violence in the south is mostly confined to very poor and heavily black areas, it's not everywhere. That would be like judging the entire midwest on what you see on the south side of Chicago, it's just not realistic.
I have been doing that for years. You mean Chicago has a good side? Where? Now please do not confuse good side with rich side. Most gangsters are rich.

Now we know why the people in Mississippi are happy. Mississippi came in number one on this survey.

http://pewforum.org/docs/?DocID=504 (broken link)

Mississippi ranks high in things that really and eternally count. Congratulations Mississippi!

Last edited by NCN; 12-30-2009 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 AM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,135 posts, read 21,829,143 times
Reputation: 23216
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
I totally agree with you here. but her situation is relative to how she started out in life. and Belize may have been poorer in some respects. but you can't compare that to a person starting out in Mississippi. it's apples and oranges. this is why I wondered who the writer polled to get his "happy" indication. Because , yes, if he had polled your wife he would get a different definition of "happy" in Mississippi compared to if he polled me, a person whose grown up here. It sends a jaded signal to readers from abroad. that's all I'm saying.

This is why I continue to say we shouldn't compare our state to other states. It's about keeping out yard clean whether or not the neighbors keep theirs clean. not let ours get trashy because the neighbors are. be honest with one's self first.

having said that. I am "Happy" for a lot of reasons, but that article left a lot to be desired when pinning down my state as "Happy"
Maybe the real happiness comes when you mind your own business and keep your yard clean and don't try to push your standards off on other people. If you will notice, a lot of people in those other less happy states spend a lot of time trying to make rules and regulations to control other people. I think I have heard on the news of someone being arrested for killing a rat with a trap in California?? So a mother can murder her fetus, but you can't get rid of a rodent?? If I lived in California I would probably end up in jail, because I am not going to let a rat run around.

I didn't notice a lot of trashy yards when I rode through Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:41 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top