Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:41 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
Sounds like Pearl....and it's a suburb of Jackson.
That doesn't sound at all like the Pearl where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 03:36 PM

64 posts, read 237,176 times
Either of these are going to be typical small town Mississippi. Good hard working people who once they get to know you will take care of you like their own. Carthage will be somewhat closer to Jackson and it's ammenities.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,755 times
HEY! people, jUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT JOBS ARE HARD TO COME BY AND FEEL BLESSED TO HAVE ONE AT THIS TIME. AS YOU CAN SEE i KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT MY COMPUTER. i CAN'T GET IT TO DROP TO THE OTHER LINE. ANYWAY! eUPORA IS ABOUT 15 OR 20 MILES FROM Starkville, MS. THAT IS WHERE MISSISSIPPI STATE IS WHERE THE STUDENTS PRACTICALLY MAKE UP STARKVILLE. BUT I CAN SAY IT IS A NICE PLACE TO LIVE AND NOT VERY FAR FROM COLUMBUS, MS AND THE GOLDEN TRIANGLE AS WELL AS THERE IS SOME PRETTY SCENERY ALSO. IT REALLY DEPENDS ON WHAT JOBS YOU CAN GET AND YOU CAN GO TO THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE WHICH IS LOCATED DOWNTOWN AND THEY WILL GIVE YOU A MAP OF STARKVILLE WHICH WILL SHOW YOU WHERE A LOT OF IMPORTANT PLACES ARE AND BE SURE TO LET THEM KNOW AT THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE THAT YOU ARE NEW COMERS AND THAT YOU JUST MOVED THERE AND THEY WILL GIVE YOU A BOOK WITH ALL KINDS OF NEAT COUPONS HONORING YOU. GOOD LUCK, FINALLYATLAST

Old 01-18-2010, 10:23 AM

190 posts, read 692,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat3574 View Post
My Husband and I are moving to Mississippi. We have never been there before and really don't know alot about it. His job is ending here in Florida and we have to move there in order for him to keep his job. We have a choice between Webster Co. (Europa) and Leake Co. (Carthage). We currently live in Florida in a small town. This is a hard choice to make not knowing anything about either two except for what I have read on the internet. Please, can you share some insite for me between the two. It would be much appericated.
If you like living out in the country (which I prefer), Carthage is a nice area. If you have kids, I'd add the public schools in Carthage aren't that great by my standards. If your husband doesn't mind a little bit of a drive, you could look at living in the Flowood/Brandon area and commute to work. Hwy. 25 is not a bad drive, plus the public schools will be better and there is much more to do in that area.

Like others have said, the Webster County area offers close proximity to MSU, so you have the benefits if the unique things a college town offers.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:54 PM

3 posts, read 11,905 times
I just want to thank everyone for the info. I can't wait to see your state. It does seem like a nice peaceful and pretty place. It's going to be a nice change from life in Florida. Jobs here are getting very hard to come by as well. We are also looking at some land in Manatee. Is this a nice place as well? I have heard good things about Webster county schools, is this true?

Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times
From what I've seen in the statistics, the Webster County schools rate fairly well. They're not the highest but more or less one notch below that. More importantly they are small and safe. You can't get much more different from Florida than quiet Eupora, Mississippi...except that is for Mantee, Mississippi. The drive up Highway 15 to Mantee is about 10 minutes and is very pretty rolling hills, trees, and farms. When you get to Mantee, I just recall a few houses really and some farmland. If you hang a left, you pass a handful of houses and then it's a rural highway through hills and trees mostly. I wouldn't call it scenic exactly, but certainly charming and no doubt beautiful out in those woods. The drive from Mantee to Houston, MS is another 25 minutes or so north and also a pretty drive in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi