U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2010, 09:10 PM
 
1,280 posts, read 2,565,677 times
Reputation: 1104
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I totally agree. Jackson's not going to be a mecca for any good kind of weirdness. You'd just get what New Orleans gets, these days: people too pitiful and disgusting to survive anywhere but there (and maybe the Salton Sea). Jackson could, however, be a mecca for middle-class, church-going, black families fleeing the disintegration of much of the rest of America. And the city has square-mile after square-mile of beautiful ranch houses, still landscaped with flowering shrubs and beautiful trees (except where meth dealers have moved in and replaced plants with Pit Bulls...but FNEJ is still largely devoid of those)....all at reduced prices, because Frank scared the bejesus out of everybody, and sent them fleeing to the exurbs.

And yes, the lack of an adult bookstore is a symptom of repression. But that can be a good thing. Imagine yourself an upper-middle-class Black, highly-educated, third-generation college grad, good values...having just sold your house in Southern California, because foreigners had moved into your neighborhood, and announced (one way or another) that you were no longer welcome (It's happening all over LA). For less than you got for your house in California, you can move to Jackson, and have a fine, huge 1980's home, on a half-acre lot, Heart-Pine floors, two-hundred-dollar-a-yard Williamsburg-licensed documentary linen curtains on every window...nice nearby mall...Highland Village...private schools for the kids...six-foot Azaleas popping into bloom every spring? Why would you want an adult bookstore?

Let's face it: the Jackson Metro is for people who love to go to church, go to Wal-Mart, go to the grocery, go to school...get married at the 'proper' time...have children at the proper intervals....buy nice furniture at the big, giant discount furniture store... Sit in Sunday School, and talk about Bible Times... AND THAT'S ALL.

And that's how folks like it. They like that the Dixie National is the only rodeo on the circuit where you can't get laid. They don't mind the lack of resort-like pools, with cabanas, and a see-and-be-seen dynamic. They don't mind the absence of a singles scene for anyone over 25. Apparently, they like all the little 'fests', that are about absolutely nothing, but hanging around in the sweltering heat in an ugly teeshirt, listening to lame old music, while the kids get their faces painted like bunny rabbits.

I recently witnessed a graphic demonstration of how hostile Jackson area folk are to anything outside the very narrow parameters of their narrow little worlds. And it gave me the little push I needed to consent to moving to a place where people think bigger thoughts. But that's OK. We didn't belong there. But there are plenty of people for whom the area is perfect. They might be happier in and around Jackson than anywhere else. And I think area 'planners' need to fine-tune things for those folks, and not throw away effort and money trying to make Jackson the next Prague.

Six Flags is precisely what Jackson needs. And it needs to happen in HINDS County, not Madison County. A Six Flags would draw from a hundred-mile-plus radius...an area populated with church-going Wal-Mart shoppers whose idea of a good time would be just such a venue.

Frank's motivation for shutting down the adult bookstore (are you talking about something down on that old highway in South Jackson where the German car mechanics used to be? Where is Battle Park? Google Maps puts it somewhere out there...) was no-doubt to impress his senile voter-base that he really was some sort of old-tyme preacher-man who liked spanking boys...and not the puppet/henchman of the local drug lords.

So, YES! Jackson needs a Six Flags!
What's got you so angry?? Middle-class, Wal-Mart going, Bible-thumping folks are everywhere in the good ole USA. Not just Jackson, Ms. Even in your cool town where you can load up with seeing and being seen--those Wal-Marts are everywhere.

 
Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,236 posts, read 5,743,921 times
Reputation: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
What's got you so angry?? Middle-class, Wal-Mart going, Bible-thumping folks are everywhere in the good ole USA. Not just Jackson, Ms. Even in your cool town where you can load up with seeing and being seen--those Wal-Marts are everywhere.
I'm not going to lie. I like Jackson, but I kind of had the same impression. I do believe that Jackson has a lot of potential and the N.O. comment was .
 
Old 01-20-2010, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
836 posts, read 1,182,762 times
Reputation: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I totally agree. Jackson's not going to be a mecca for any good kind of weirdness. You'd just get what New Orleans gets, these days: people too pitiful and disgusting to survive anywhere but there (and maybe the Salton Sea). Jackson could, however, be a mecca for middle-class, church-going, black families fleeing the disintegration of much of the rest of America. And the city has square-mile after square-mile of beautiful ranch houses, still landscaped with flowering shrubs and beautiful trees (except where meth dealers have moved in and replaced plants with Pit Bulls...but FNEJ is still largely devoid of those)....all at reduced prices, because Frank scared the bejesus out of everybody, and sent them fleeing to the exurbs.

And yes, the lack of an adult bookstore is a symptom of repression. But that can be a good thing. Imagine yourself an upper-middle-class Black, highly-educated, third-generation college grad, good values...having just sold your house in Southern California, because foreigners had moved into your neighborhood, and announced (one way or another) that you were no longer welcome (It's happening all over LA). For less than you got for your house in California, you can move to Jackson, and have a fine, huge 1980's home, on a half-acre lot, Heart-Pine floors, two-hundred-dollar-a-yard Williamsburg-licensed documentary linen curtains on every window...nice nearby mall...Highland Village...private schools for the kids...six-foot Azaleas popping into bloom every spring? Why would you want an adult bookstore?

Let's face it: the Jackson Metro is for people who love to go to church, go to Wal-Mart, go to the grocery, go to school...get married at the 'proper' time...have children at the proper intervals....buy nice furniture at the big, giant discount furniture store... Sit in Sunday School, and talk about Bible Times... AND THAT'S ALL.

And that's how folks like it. They like that the Dixie National is the only rodeo on the circuit where you can't get laid. They don't mind the lack of resort-like pools, with cabanas, and a see-and-be-seen dynamic. They don't mind the absence of a singles scene for anyone over 25. Apparently, they like all the little 'fests', that are about absolutely nothing, but hanging around in the sweltering heat in an ugly teeshirt, listening to lame old music, while the kids get their faces painted like bunny rabbits.

I recently witnessed a graphic demonstration of how hostile Jackson area folk are to anything outside the very narrow parameters of their narrow little worlds. And it gave me the little push I needed to consent to moving to a place where people think bigger thoughts. But that's OK. We didn't belong there. But there are plenty of people for whom the area is perfect. They might be happier in and around Jackson than anywhere else. And I think area 'planners' need to fine-tune things for those folks, and not throw away effort and money trying to make Jackson the next Prague.

Six Flags is precisely what Jackson needs. And it needs to happen in HINDS County, not Madison County. A Six Flags would draw from a hundred-mile-plus radius...an area populated with church-going Wal-Mart shoppers whose idea of a good time would be just such a venue.

Frank's motivation for shutting down the adult bookstore (are you talking about something down on that old highway in South Jackson where the German car mechanics used to be? Where is Battle Park? Google Maps puts it somewhere out there...) was no-doubt to impress his senile voter-base that he really was some sort of old-tyme preacher-man who liked spanking boys...and not the puppet/henchman of the local drug lords.

So, YES! Jackson needs a Six Flags!
What's wrong with going to church, sunday school, Wal-Mart, festivals and the like? I could give a rat's a$$ about seeing and being seen. What's that for, to boost your ego? Look like a big shot?

Stop buying into everything you are told and be an independent thinker. Stop thinking you are above us regular people. You aren't special, get over yourself.
 
Old 01-21-2010, 01:18 AM
 
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon
1,941 posts, read 1,599,137 times
Reputation: 4921
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
What's wrong with going to church, sunday school, Wal-Mart, festivals and the like? I could give a rat's a$$ about seeing and being seen. What's that for, to boost your ego? Look like a big shot?

Stop buying into everything you are told and be an independent thinker. Stop thinking you are above us regular people. You aren't special, get over yourself.
Gee.... And I was actually saying something nice. But maybe it was hard for you to see that through the red fog...

I was acknowledging that it's OK to want those things and nothing more. And saying that there should be places where people who wanted those things could live, and not necessarily be at the bottom of the Food Chain.

The "see and be seen" phrase was part of a sentence about 'scene' type swimming pools. Actually, there's something close across the Reservoir, and River Hills is close, too. But they're pretty insular. Same old crowd, year after year. Honestly, fresh out of college, we Joined The Courthouse Racquette Club on Lakeland, and loved the 'scene' there. I thought I was someplace really fancy. A lot of people miss it, now that the pool's enclosed. You could see a lot of skin, and it was very social (and egalitarian). We made a lot of friends there, and now, being a poolside lounge lizard (at a fancy pool, in a posh place), is my idea of a perfect vacation. And I always end up with new friends.

Jackson will never have anything like the rooftop pool at the Peninsula Hotel in Beverly Hills, or, for that matter, the one at the Four Seasons....or the Hotel Bel-air...or even the less lushly-landscaped one at the Mondrian on Southbeach (Miami). And I don't think that sort of thing's coming to Madison, ever, either. In fact, there seems to be open hostility to the concept (maybe because Mississippi is the most overweight state...and again... everybody's married by 25...and most people would rather meet their post-divorce replacement spouses in dark bars, while drunk...or in Young Adults Sunday School classes). But yeah: those of us who work out daily (I'm finishing-off my hour on a cardio machine, right this minute...went next-door this morning, and did weights with new neighbor-girl and her trainer)...we like to show off.

But now, as for you telling me to be an independent thinker....

And deep down, I'm still the little girl who caught Water Moccasins so we'd have something to eat. So you cannot imagine how good it makes me feel, to have a 'regular person' resent me for being above them. I used to be so far below 'regular people', they treated me like some kind of a dog. Thanks! You've made my day.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 01-21-2010 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: typo
 
Old 01-21-2010, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Jackson, MS
1,009 posts, read 2,110,911 times
Reputation: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
What's wrong with going to church, sunday school, Wal-Mart, festivals and the like? I could give a rat's a$$ about seeing and being seen. What's that for, to boost your ego? Look like a big shot?

Stop buying into everything you are told and be an independent thinker. Stop thinking you are above us regular people. You aren't special, get over yourself.
No matter what the topic of discussion may be, GG's comments will almost always give off a "holier than though" feel [not in a religious way, but in a materialistic, want-to-be small-time celebrity status way]. I was schocked at the first few comments I read of hers as well, but she is past the age of caring or changing so a legitimate response is not worth your time, unless you like speaking into a wind tunnel. People like her thrive on gossip, so you can see why her posts are at least 5 paragraphs in length and contain mostly garbage that has nothing to do with reality. I may not agree with 99% of what she writes, but she is who she is, and you just have to find a way to accept that [or do as I have learned to do and ignore her].
 
Old 01-21-2010, 05:54 AM
 
Location: Mississippi
836 posts, read 1,182,762 times
Reputation: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Gee.... And I was actually saying something nice. But maybe it was hard for you to see that through the red fog...

I was acknowledging that it's OK to want those things and nothing more. And saying that there should be places where people who wanted those things could live, and not necessarily be at the bottom of the Food Chain.

The "see and be seen" phrase was part of a sentence about 'scene' type swimming pools. Actually, there's something close across the Reservoir, and River Hills is close, too. But they're pretty insular. Same old crowd, year after year. Honestly, fresh out of college, we Joined The Courthouse Racquette Club on Lakeland, and loved the 'scene' there. I thought I was someplace really fancy. A lot of people miss it, now that the pool's enclosed. You could see a lot of skin, and it was very social (and egalitarian). We made a lot of friends there, and now, being a poolside lounge lizard (at a fancy pool, in a posh place), is my idea of a perfect vacation. And I always end up with new friends.

Jackson will never have anything like the rooftop pool at the Peninsula Hotel in Beverly Hills, or, for that matter, the one at the Four Seasons....or the Hotel Bel-air...or even the less lushly-landscaped one at the Mondrian on Southbeach (Miami). And I don't think that sort of thing's coming to Madison, ever, either. In fact, there seems to be open hostility to the concept (maybe because Mississippi is the most overweight state...and again... everybody's married by 25...and most people would rather meet their post-divorce replacement spouses in dark bars, while drunk...or in Young Adults Sunday School classes). But yeah: those of us who work out daily (I'm finishing-off my hour on a cardio machine, right this minute...went next-door this morning, and did weights with new neighbor-girl and her trainer)...we like to show off.

But now, as for you telling me to be an independent thinker....

And deep down, I'm still the little girl who caught Water Moccasins so we'd have something to eat. So you cannot imagine how good it makes me feel, to have a 'regular person' resent me for being above them. I used to be so far below 'regular people', they treated me like some kind of a dog. Thanks! You've made my day.
No, I got what you were saying. Now let me explain what I am saying. You say it's ok to do those things but i'm just letting you know you're coming across a little on the high and mighty side, like the crowd who goes to Wal-Mart are all low society and you are cream of the crop and above it all. All i'm saying.

Maybe it's your wordiness and dramatic effect, or the fact that nearly every one of your posts comes across as maybe just a little negative about the podunk place you left behind. I don't blame you for leaving if that's what you want to do, but you still return to the Mississippi forum to trash the place.

Oh well, at least you didn't live in New Orleans with those people who are too pitiful and disgusting to live anywhere else.
 
Old 01-21-2010, 07:18 AM
 
35 posts, read 67,479 times
Reputation: 38
Gviewgloria,

Quote:
And that's how folks like it... they like all the little 'fests', that are about absolutely nothing, but hanging around in the sweltering heat in an ugly teeshirt, listening to lame old music, while the kids get their faces painted like bunny rabbits.
This is me/us... I should kill myself! Ha!

You are a very good writer because I am able to produce imagery in my mind from your descriptions of "how folks like it". While in some instances you are not very far from the truth, it is all mostly shock jock fluff. While reading your post and thinking small, I did get a chuckle.

I don't believe six flags will do the trick in or around Jackson. It may bring in more revenue but to change the direction Jackson, Ms is going or how it is viewed will take some major police and political upgrading.

It is going to take some reverse psychology. Give the white flight group a reason to move back and give the gangs and drug dealers a reason to leave.
 
Old 01-21-2010, 07:27 AM
 
809 posts, read 1,139,774 times
Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I totally agree. Jackson's not going to be a mecca for any good kind of weirdness. You'd just get what New Orleans gets, these days: people too pitiful and disgusting to survive anywhere but there (and maybe the Salton Sea). Jackson could, however, be a mecca for middle-class, church-going, black families fleeing the disintegration of much of the rest of America. And the city has square-mile after square-mile of beautiful ranch houses, still landscaped with flowering shrubs and beautiful trees (except where meth dealers have moved in and replaced plants with Pit Bulls...but FNEJ is still largely devoid of those)....all at reduced prices, because Frank scared the bejesus out of everybody, and sent them fleeing to the exurbs.

And yes, the lack of an adult bookstore is a symptom of repression. But that can be a good thing. Imagine yourself an upper-middle-class Black, highly-educated, third-generation college grad, good values...having just sold your house in Southern California, because foreigners had moved into your neighborhood, and announced (one way or another) that you were no longer welcome (It's happening all over LA). For less than you got for your house in California, you can move to Jackson, and have a fine, huge 1980's home, on a half-acre lot, Heart-Pine floors, two-hundred-dollar-a-yard Williamsburg-licensed documentary linen curtains on every window...nice nearby mall...Highland Village...private schools for the kids...six-foot Azaleas popping into bloom every spring? Why would you want an adult bookstore?

Let's face it: the Jackson Metro is for people who love to go to church, go to Wal-Mart, go to the grocery, go to school...get married at the 'proper' time...have children at the proper intervals....buy nice furniture at the big, giant discount furniture store... Sit in Sunday School, and talk about Bible Times... AND THAT'S ALL.

And that's how folks like it. They like that the Dixie National is the only rodeo on the circuit where you can't get laid. They don't mind the lack of resort-like pools, with cabanas, and a see-and-be-seen dynamic. They don't mind the absence of a singles scene for anyone over 25. Apparently, they like all the little 'fests', that are about absolutely nothing, but hanging around in the sweltering heat in an ugly teeshirt, listening to lame old music, while the kids get their faces painted like bunny rabbits.

I recently witnessed a graphic demonstration of how hostile Jackson area folk are to anything outside the very narrow parameters of their narrow little worlds. And it gave me the little push I needed to consent to moving to a place where people think bigger thoughts. But that's OK. We didn't belong there. But there are plenty of people for whom the area is perfect. They might be happier in and around Jackson than anywhere else. And I think area 'planners' need to fine-tune things for those folks, and not throw away effort and money trying to make Jackson the next Prague.

Six Flags is precisely what Jackson needs. And it needs to happen in HINDS County, not Madison County. A Six Flags would draw from a hundred-mile-plus radius...an area populated with church-going Wal-Mart shoppers whose idea of a good time would be just such a venue.

Frank's motivation for shutting down the adult bookstore (are you talking about something down on that old highway in South Jackson where the German car mechanics used to be? Where is Battle Park? Google Maps puts it somewhere out there...) was no-doubt to impress his senile voter-base that he really was some sort of old-tyme preacher-man who liked spanking boys...and not the puppet/henchman of the local drug lords.

So, YES! Jackson needs a Six Flags!


OMG!!!...IF THIS AIN'T GOD'S WORDS FLOWING THROUGH GRANDVIEWGLORIA STIRKE ME DOWN RIGHT NOW LORD JESUS IN HEAVEN!!!...HAHAHAHAHA....I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER IF IT TOOK 3 WEEKS TO GET MY THOUGHTS TOGETHER...AMEN!! AMEN!!...AMEN!!!

I LOVE YOU GRANDVIEWGLORIA!!!! I THOUGHT I WAS ALL ALONE UNTIL YOU CAME ALONG!! GOD BLESS YOU!!!
 
Old 01-21-2010, 07:39 AM
 
809 posts, read 1,139,774 times
Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
What's wrong with going to church, sunday school, Wal-Mart, festivals and the like? I could give a rat's a$$ about seeing and being seen. What's that for, to boost your ego? Look like a big shot?

Stop buying into everything you are told and be an independent thinker. Stop thinking you are above us regular people. You aren't special, get over yourself.

She is right.

Let me ask you jhadorn.... when you were in your 20's, what did you do and where did you go for "Fun" in Jackson? there is NO singles life scene to speak of since I've been alive, So I'm very curious as to what you did to get through your 20's? I remember you stating your wife is from Belize so that could be telling.....

Well, I'll tell you what I did, I spent my money in OTHER STATES to have "Fun"...Mississippi lost out on my taxes dollars. all because they wanted to suffocate my QOL but I couldn't allow that to happen....see my point here?

Mississippi has sucked for years in every way, I'll just put it out there. but I've worked tirelessly to try and change that but as I see STILL in 2010, the people of Jackson(and the rest of Mississippi for that matter), don't want nothing. but they LOVE to complain about what they "can't" do as a city, play victim as a people and collect welfare from the Government.

I'm realizing I'm more like GrandviewGloira. I thought for years that I didn't belong here in Mississippi too. Thinking too big for my peers. I think I needs to start taking some cues from those who've realized what I should've realized years ago....

The other pastures are greener, If you're from Mississippi.


^looks like a slogan for a t-shirt...damn
 
Old 01-21-2010, 07:52 AM
 
809 posts, read 1,139,774 times
Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORPHEUS311 View Post
Gviewgloria,


I don't believe six flags will do the trick in or around Jackson. It may bring in more revenue but to change the direction Jackson, Ms is going or how it is viewed will take some major police and political upgrading.

It is going to take some reverse psychology. Give the white flight group a reason to move back and give the gangs and drug dealers a reason to leave.
Nobody is arguing that. but it's a start . here's 4 major things a
6 Flags would immediately do for the city of Jackson:

1. Give entire families a place to go have fun...AS A FAMILY...since Jackson is all about family, right?

2. create jobs. No, not BIG career desk jobs(a couple of those), but jobs nonetheless. It's better than doing nothing and hoping somebody supports the King Edward. HELLO, tourist who vist 6 Flags Jackson can crash at the King Edward. CHA CHING!!

3. Calm people down. Jacksonians are at tension level 99. everybody is on edge because of the lack of opportunity in this city. 6 Flags offers hope and a relaxing way to do it. criminals like to calm down too....lol

4. Create a constant income stream for the city causing the money to circulate within the city limits of Jackson....and who doesn't like money?


YOU NAYSAYERS WON'T WIN I'M TELLING YOU NOW!!!!


VOTE = SCRAP TWO LAKES AND BUILD A 6FLAGS RIGHT THERE!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top