U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:58 AM

809 posts, read 1,644,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Rule of thumb, anyone who tells you a place is perfect is BS, and anyone who tells you a place sucks in every way is BS. The truth is somewhere in between.
Well why is it when somebody is blasting Mississippi for it's shortcomings, you and others jump down on them with both feet? some Mississippians that are happy with nothing even sound off with "If you don't like how it is in Mississippi, then leave"

sounds a bit hypocritcal don't you think?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:09 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,031,409 times
Never underestimate the power of labels & stereotypes. It makes the uninformed feel knowledgeable.

Most people do not wish to explore the dynamic world we live in. Instead, they create surface definitions for places, things & people they do not understand as a way to organize a world they are not prepared to deal with.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:36 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,118,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
Well why is it when somebody is blasting Mississippi for it's shortcomings, you and others jump down on them with both feet? some Mississippians that are happy with nothing even sound off with "If you don't like how it is in Mississippi, then leave"

sounds a bit hypocritcal don't you think?
I'm not jumping up and down on anyone, but you know i'm right. If more people who leave Mississippi for greener pastures would stay here and help make Mississippi a better place, then it would be a better place.

I don't have to explain anything I say, but if you want an explanation I will tell you like this. Stop talking Mississippi down and encouraging people to leave, because that is the root of the problem. Some of us get tired of you taking a detrimental approach, and maybe it would be best for you and the state to just leave.

I consider myself an intelligent person, and I make a good living here in Mississippi. I am in Information Technology and Geographic Information Systems. My wife is successful as well. Why? Because we put in the hard work required, not because we moved away.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:49 AM

3,236 posts, read 4,213,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
So what is your solution? Do you convince the entertainment industry to come or do you convince the citizens of Mississippi to start spending more money, both of which are in the midst of a fragile economy.

It sounds like you need to go out more often. There are a ton of bars in the Jackson area, including but not limited to:
Fenian's
Ole Tavern
Pi(e)
Hal & Mal's
Underground 119
Tye's
the Bulldog
Time Out Sports Bar
Buffalo Wild Wings
McB's
Alumni House
Locker Room
Electric Cowboy
Touch
F. Jones Corner
930 Blues Cafe
Fire
Dick & Jane's
Sportsman's Lodge
Julep
Last Call
Cherokee Inn
Freelon's

I've been to Austin and checked out their bar scene as well, and yes they have more bars because their metro is home to 1.6 MILLION PEOPLE. That's over HALF of Mississippi's population in one metro area. Have you ever heard of a thing called the "Market?" That's what determines viability and projections, and if the numbers don't add up on paper, then the banks aren't going to lend the money - plain and simple. And I don't know if you've tried obtaining a business loan lately or not, but it's pretty difficult now compared to 2 years ago.

Jackson has had sports bars for years.

Then why haven't you said a word about it? If you're so intrigued with entertainment, why haven't you said a peep about the biggest entertainment project that is already underway in Jackson?

There's more to outdoors than just hunting and fishing. You should ask your friend in Austin what they do for fun in the outdoors. I bet he/she will mention biking, disc golf, and/or outdoor music festivals... all of which you can also find in Jackson.
Jacksonian, I LOVE the fact that when someone says "singles scene" you immediately think that means dark/loud/smoke-filled bars to hang out in and consume alcohol. Honey, even the impoverished hole-in-the-road where I grew up had one of those.

And when you went to Austin, you checked out the bars? That's what you did with your time? Bars, sports bars, places to be 'entertained', places to watch other people do things.... Sorry, but that's not much of a life.

And as for things you can do outdoors in Austin, that you can't do in Jackson..... Ever heard of Hippie Hollow Clothing Optional Nudist Park, on Lake Travis? Can you even IMAGINE such a thing in Mississippi? But that rates an eight on a one-to-ten freedom-from-repression continuum (public sex on Danish beaches would be a Ten). Mississippi's maximum permissiveness goes to about four. I've had Mississippi people get indignant because my bodybuilder husband wore a Speedo, poolside. On our trips to Austin, we've come close to taking the plunge...weren't that courageous...still, it made being in Austin more exciting just knowing Hippie Hollow was there. And how many Jacksonians gather outside evenings, watching the millions of bats fly out of their caves? Austin folks do.

As for Farish Street, they've been fixin' on that thing since the Seventies. But like OneJackson says: It's all about families here. If it's not someplace affordable to take the kids, it's not going to fly.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:14 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,118,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Jacksonian, I LOVE the fact that when someone says "singles scene" you immediately think that means dark/loud/smoke-filled bars to hang out in and consume alcohol. Honey, even the impoverished hole-in-the-road where I grew up had one of those.

And when you went to Austin, you checked out the bars? That's what you did with your time? Bars, sports bars, places to be 'entertained', places to watch other people do things.... Sorry, but that's not much of a life.

And as for things you can do outdoors in Austin, that you can't do in Jackson..... Ever heard of Hippie Hollow Clothing Optional Nudist Park, on Lake Travis? Can you even IMAGINE such a thing in Mississippi? But that rates an eight on a one-to-ten freedom-from-repression continuum (public sex on Danish beaches would be a Ten). Mississippi's maximum permissiveness goes to about four. I've had Mississippi people get indignant because my bodybuilder husband wore a Speedo, poolside. On our trips to Austin, we've come close to taking the plunge...weren't that courageous...still, it made being in Austin more exciting just knowing Hippie Hollow was there. And how many Jacksonians gather outside evenings, watching the millions of bats fly out of their caves? Austin folks do.

As for Farish Street, they've been fixin' on that thing since the Seventies. But like OneJackson says: It's all about families here. If it's not someplace affordable to take the kids, it's not going to fly.
I'm trying to figure out why you would need a nudist park, or to have public sex. I'm also trying to figure out why you would need those things to have freedom. Only those who lack proper morals would feel repressed by not being permitted to have public sex or go nude in public.

Call me old fashioned, call me crazy...

Old 01-21-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

So when you went to Austin, you checked out the nudist park without actually getting nude? You went to Hippie Hollow to watch other people do things.... Sorry, but that's not much of a life.

Had you paid a little more attention to the flow of the discussion, you would have seen that my comments were in response to OneJackson, who said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
No, i'm sayin, there's no bars, lounges or places where singles can go to have fun and mingle and enjoy the nightlife in Jackson.
Unlike you, when I respond to someone's comment, I am direct and to the point. I could have listed all of the activities that I partook in while on vacation, but I don't feel the need to express my complete itinerary from my last visit to Austin nor am I an aspiring novelist.

As for Farish Street, if by "they" you mean the city, then you would somewhat correct. But the developers [which also happen to be the same developers who recently completed the King Edward renovation] who took over ownership of the Farish Street Entertainment District project have been"fixin' on that thing" for just a month now and they have made some great improvements thus far.

For someone who thinks Jackson/Mississippi is way behind, you sure have a lot of catching up to do.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out why you would need a nudist park, or to have public sex. I'm also trying to figure out why you would need those things to have freedom. Only those who lack proper morals would feel repressed by not being permitted to have public sex or go nude in public.

Don't let her fool you - she would never engage in such things, but she does like to fantasize about it. I suppose it keeps her mind young.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Don't let her fool you - she would never engage in such things, but she does like to fantasize about it. I suppose it keeps her mind young.
Well, for once, you're right, Jacksonian. I would naay-uh-vuh! But like a young associate who actually DOES do soft-swing with her DH says: "Doesn't matter where you get your appetite, as long as you dine at home."

For the record, on our first trip abroad, we made a beeline for the nasty beaches in Denmark, and got an eyeful. Yowza! Those Danes have got it all!
But we never even drove out to Hippie Hollow: although we did get as far as packing a cooler and buying sunscreen.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:53 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,466,100 times

Old 01-21-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Thank you, jhadorn, for illustrating why you belong in Mississippi, and I don't.

I think, though, that it's more a matter of needing to know you could, than needing to actually do. But it was highly frustrating to live in a place where my (admittedly much-blessed) DH couldn't wear a Speedo poolside, without some priss-pot getting huffy. Mostly, it was frustrating, because a great many men I'd love to scrutinize more thoroughly were covered up in baggy swim trunks. Bummer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi