U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2010, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,071 posts, read 2,117,222 times
Reputation: 1416

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Thank you, jhadorn, for illustrating why you belong in Mississippi, and I don't.

I think, though, that it's more a matter of needing to know you could, than needing to actually do. But it was highly frustrating to live in a place where my (admittedly much-blessed) DH couldn't wear a Speedo poolside, without some priss-pot getting huffy. Mostly, it was frustrating, because a great many men I'd love to scrutinize more thoroughly were covered up in baggy swim trunks. Bummer....
I'm not sure why your husband can't wear a speedo in Mississippi. When I go to the beach or pool here in Mississippi I see speedos, skimpy bathing suites, etc.

Does it have anything to do with the pool you were at? Was it a country club setting? Maybe they have different ideas of what is appropriate at that pool.

We have children, and I don't want them to see nudity or sex in public, especially at such an impressionable age. I can't wrap my mind around why anyone would feel the need to disrespect others that way. Keep sex behind closed doors and out of the public eye. If you want to see sex, rent a porno. That way others, who may not want children to see it or who have different values aren't subjected to it.

If you want to live in a place where you can have public sex, more power to you.

 
Old 01-21-2010, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,071 posts, read 2,117,222 times
Reputation: 1416
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Thank you, jhadorn, for illustrating why you belong in Mississippi, and I don't.

I think, though, that it's more a matter of needing to know you could, than needing to actually do. But it was highly frustrating to live in a place where my (admittedly much-blessed) DH couldn't wear a Speedo poolside, without some priss-pot getting huffy. Mostly, it was frustrating, because a great many men I'd love to scrutinize more thoroughly were covered up in baggy swim trunks. Bummer....
Are you saying you don't have proper morals? You want to have sex in public? I'm not sure what part of my post illustrated why I belong and you don't. I would say that if you want to do that, then you don't belong in ANY state in the US. My post was about public sex and nudity. Nude means your body is completely uncovered. I think you will find that isn't acceptable in nearly all places in the US, not just Mississippi.

Last edited by jhadorn; 01-21-2010 at 01:52 PM..
 
Old 01-21-2010, 02:11 PM
 
809 posts, read 1,644,367 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I'm not jumping up and down on anyone, but you know i'm right. If more people who leave Mississippi for greener pastures would stay here and help make Mississippi a better place, then it would be a better place.
They would if the 'old guard' with all their intricate bureaucracies who run the banks, building owners, land owners, news outlets, papers, etc..would cooperate allowing for local start ups to flourish. yeah it would be fantastic!! but it's not reality. businesses are "profiled" by banks in Mississippi so getting a loan is "fishy" imo. and also, a lot of new graduates immdeiately flight because they worked on finding a job, in Mississippi AND out, and 9 times outta 10, the job they got that was worth anything was in another state. so ask yourself, what would you do? stay and be shift manager at McDonald's or get a job in Seattle working as an IT Specialist for a Big company. working a job in the field you graduated in?

Quote:
I don't have to explain anything I say, but if you want an explanation I will tell you like this. Stop talking Mississippi down and encouraging people to leave, because that is the root of the problem. Some of us get tired of you taking a detrimental approach, and maybe it would be best for you and the state to just leave.
that's funny...because I never 'talk down' on Mississippi, but I do
'talk about' the pros AND the cons of Mississippi in hopes the pros will outweigh the cons through discussion. You and others, want to ONLY focus on the pretty magnolia trees and flowing river, hills and nostaglia, BUT you miss the core root problem and it's not me....it's...OPPORTUNITY.

I'm not the only voice that feels this way either.


Quote:
I consider myself an intelligent person, and I make a good living here in Mississippi. I am in Information Technology and Geographic Information Systems. My wife is successful as well. Why? Because we put in the hard work required, not because we moved away.
Great wonderful. How many of those jobs are available though. think about it. for every 2 of you that get a good job like that, it's 30 that graduated right behind you who cannot, why? not enough good jobs to go around. so what do THEY do?...MOVE AWAY. they don't want to, THEY HAVE TO.
 
Old 01-21-2010, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Jackson, MS
1,008 posts, read 3,030,673 times
Reputation: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
for every 2 of you that get a good job like that, it's 30 that graduated right behind you who cannot, why? not enough good jobs to go around. so what do THEY do?...MOVE AWAY. they don't want to, THEY HAVE TO.
I disagree. I was offered a job by several companies in Jackson after graduating, and everyone that I graduated with that wanted a job in Mississippi ended up with a job in Mississippi and in their field.
 
Old 01-21-2010, 02:26 PM
 
809 posts, read 1,644,367 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Ay yi yi...

The last time a MAJOR flood hit Downtown was 1979... just 30 years ago [which in nature, is a very short length of time]. Cars under water? How about BUILDINGS under water:
EXACTLY...30 years ago. I'm willing to bet it's not gonna happen again anytime soon now that the levees were reinforced a bit back then.

Quote:
I'm not even sure how to respond to your comment about adding concrete to the levees... do you think there are levees in place currently that exist on both sides of the Pearl River the whole length of Jackson? If so, then you are sadly mistaken. I suggest you do some more research on the Two Lakes Plan vs. the Levees Plan. You can start here:
159 JFP articles covering the story (http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/index.php/results/?cx=partner-pub-5414712762025445%3Aat609fdt6d2&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=I SO-8859-1&q=two+lakes&sa=Search+the+JFP&siteurl=www.jackso nfreepress.com%2F#1137 - broken link)


As for the Two Lakes plan, it's a lake... you know... where WATER goes [ie, capable of controlling flow control with dams, pumps, etc]. Last time I checked, Six Flags was not in the flood control business... but what do I know?
My Point is, regardless of whatever is built in that area, the city is gonna make dang sure it's will protected from another catostrophic flood. so the same logic can be applied to having a 6Flags right there on the campus of the Coliseum for everybody to see as they ride through jackson. c'mon stop and spend some money with jackson, glad you came. you'll be back. 6Flags Jackson t-shirts, balloons, hats,

MONEY BEING MADE FOR JACKSON, PERIOD

what will 2 lakes, with shops, lofts and dog parks gonna bring Jackson?

PLEASE TELL ME!
 
Old 01-21-2010, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,071 posts, read 2,117,222 times
Reputation: 1416
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
They would if the 'old guard' with all their intricate bureaucracies who run the banks, building owners, land owners, news outlets, papers, etc..would cooperate allowing for local start ups to flourish. yeah it would be fantastic!! but it's not reality. businesses are "profiled" by banks in Mississippi so getting a loan is "fishy" imo. and also, a lot of new graduates immdeiately flight because they worked on finding a job, in Mississippi AND out, and 9 times outta 10, the job they got that was worth anything was in another state. so ask yourself, what would you do? stay and be shift manager at McDonald's or get a job in Seattle working as an IT Specialist for a Big company. working a job in the field you graduated in?
If people stayed in Mississippi, the old guard would be eventually replaced by the younger generation. I see what you are saying, but how do you ever expect things to change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
that's funny...because I never 'talk down' on Mississippi, but I do 'talk about' the pros AND the cons of Mississippi in hopes the pros will outweigh the cons through discussion.
So which is it? Earlier you said 'Mississippi sucks in every way', but you are telling me now that you talk about the pros and cons of Mississippi... earlier there were no pros.

Oh, and many of the things you stated about banks, land owners, etc apply to many places, not just Mississippi.
 
Old 01-21-2010, 02:36 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 5,464,536 times
Reputation: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
EXACTLY...30 years ago. I'm willing to bet it's not gonna happen again anytime soon now that the levees were reinforced a bit back then.

Yeah, and we thought that the engineers had strong levees in New Orleans, and look how that worked out. I believe that the Pearl River is capable of flooding, and it would probably be very expensive to insure a theme park in a flood zone like that.

Six Flags here in Georgia flooded during the recent rains that we had as its right by the Chattahoochee River. While the flooding that happened here in Atlanta is a rare occurrence, you should NEVER rule anything out.

A Six Flags would make more sense over on the West side of town over near the border with Clinton or by US-80 more than it would in Downtown.


Quote:
My Point is, regardless of whatever is built in that area, the city is gonna make dang sure it's will protected from another catostrophic flood. so the same logic can be applied to having a 6Flags right there on the campus of the Coliseum for everybody to see as they ride through jackson. c'mon stop and spend some money with jackson, glad you came. you'll be back. 6Flags Jackson t-shirts, balloons, hats,

MONEY BEING MADE FOR JACKSON, PERIOD

what will 2 lakes, with shops, lofts and dog parks gonna bring Jackson?

PLEASE TELL ME!


An area with Shops, Lofts and dog parks can bring money into the city as well. Storekeepers and homeowners have to pay taxes that will go to the city of Jackson. That'll put more money into the city's coffers more than some damn balloons and T-shirts and hats (seriously?), which will go to the corporation, not the city itself. Get real. I also saw that you conveniently ignored my point about Opryland being torn down in Nashville and being replaced by a shopping center, as it was proven to be more profitable to the company in the long run. It sucks when people can refute Pollyanna arguments with facts, doesn't it?

Last edited by grindin; 01-21-2010 at 02:57 PM..
 
Old 01-21-2010, 02:40 PM
 
809 posts, read 1,644,367 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I'm not sure why your husband can't wear a speedo in Mississippi. When I go to the beach or pool here in Mississippi I see speedos, skimpy bathing suites, etc.
Are you crazy? and get galked at by some pentacostal women walking from church????

I used to go around with my shirt off because you know Mississippi gets hot...So I'm walking downtown headed to my moms job to take her car to get tires and I'm outside her office waiting. up comes a Cop in his cruiser and says" sir, can yo uput a shirt on please" . I felt very violated. but I put on the shirt because the last thing I want is confrontation with the Police. I thought that was way foul and unecessary.

You go to Austin, people are riding their bikes in speedos and bikin's..some go au'naturale.

so NO, Austin and Jackson are polar opposites. they will NEVER be anything alike in no form or fashion.

Quote:
We have children, and I don't want them to see nudity or sex in public, especially at such an impressionable age. I can't wrap my mind around why anyone would feel the need to disrespect others that way. Keep sex behind closed doors and out of the public eye. If you want to see sex, rent a porno. That way others, who may not want children to see it or who have different values aren't subjected to it.

If you want to live in a place where you can have public sex, more power to you.
a minute ago you wanted Jackson to be "weird". well Gays kissing in public is weird no doubt. why the long face now?

oh it's a LOT of gays in Austin.
 
Old 01-21-2010, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Jackson, MS
1,008 posts, read 3,030,673 times
Reputation: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
EXACTLY...30 years ago. I'm willing to bet it's not gonna happen again anytime soon now that the levees were reinforced a bit back then.
Levees were reinforced? There are sections where THERE ARE NO LEVEES! Why is that so hard for you to understand? If a flood similar to that of 1979 occurred today, Jackson would flood. I don't know how else to say it - I can't make it anymore simple than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
what will 2 lakes, with shops, lofts and dog parks gonna bring Jackson?

PLEASE TELL ME!
One, a very broad tax base that Six Flags could never match. Two, local businesses will prosper thus keeping 20-30% more of the spent money in the community. Three, an outdoor experience like no other in the nation that is FREE to the public. I can name those three easily, and I'm not even a full fledged supporter of the Two Lake plan.
 
Old 01-21-2010, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,071 posts, read 2,117,222 times
Reputation: 1416
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
You and others, want to ONLY focus on the pretty magnolia trees and flowing river, hills and nostaglia, BUT you miss the core root problem and it's not me....it's...OPPORTUNITY.
There is plenty of opportunity in Mississippi. You are proving my point for me. You keep saying Mississippi needs this and that, we don't have this and other states do.... stay in Mississippi and put your skills and ideas to use instead of taking them to other states.

Mississippi has so much potential if only our brightest didn't leave the state after graduation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:44 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top