U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:58 PM

417 posts, read 1,359,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I'm sure we could save at least $10k.

Lass, unless you just want to live in Columbus to be close to his family, I would recommend looking in Starkville. For most younger people, that is a much preferable place to live, the university brings a vibrancy that Columbus just can't match. And it wouldn't be any farther to your finance's job than it would be living in Columbus. Housing is more expensive there, but well worth it IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 06:41 AM

2,980 posts, read 7,276,651 times
If I had it my way i'd be in Tupelo because theres so much to do but i dunno if they have that industry that he will be in.

Starkville looks nice but I was only in the MS state campus.

We just dont wanna end up in a very poor quality house or apartment.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
If I had it my way i'd be in Tupelo because theres so much to do but i dunno if they have that industry that he will be in.

Starkville looks nice but I was only in the MS state campus.

We just dont wanna end up in a very poor quality house or apartment.
There is industry in the Tupelo area; a tire plant, some furniture plants, and a Toyota plant that has yet to be finished but could open next year. Tupelo is a very nice town and I would rather live there than in Columbus. For the younger crowd, though, neither Tupelo nor Columbus can offer as much as the university towns, Starkville and Oxford.

Yes, you do have to be careful about selecting the right house or apartment; if you buy a home that is too old, it can become a money pit. My daughter lived in a brand new apartment in Starkville, but it developed mold problems.

Just don't be in a hurry, and you will be able to find the right place.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,024,833 times
From my experience in Starkville, some of the older homes tend to be built better than a lot of the newer ones - you just have to treat each house you look at with the same regards. If I were to buy in Starkville, I would look for a house close to downtown - either in the cotton district or just south of downtown. That would allow for you to be within walking distance of a lot of the amenities that Starkville has to offer. Stay away from the west side of town - the traffic is terrible there and it's all strip malls and Wal-Mart is at the end of it. I rented a house that was on S. Montgomery about 1/2 mile south of Hwy 12, and it was an great location - easy access to everything, yet it was tucked away off the road far enough to seem private. It was a 3 bedroom with a large living room.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:19 AM

Well it's looking like he will be working in Columbus near GTR.

We'd probably look near Starkville and other towns, (living outside town) we don't want to be close to other houses like a 'burb but a subdivision with 1 acre lots would be nice but if we couldn't get that then less than an acre would be fine. We're both saving for a deposit just now and hoping we can get a nice house there.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:40 AM

Well its official now, we will be moving to Columbus

Old 01-30-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Well its official now, we will be moving to Columbus
What part of town?

Old 01-30-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
What part of town?
Not sure yet. We like the New Hope area.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Not sure yet. We like the New Hope area.
New Hope is a nice area, and, unlike Caledonia, is reasonably close to Columbus shopping. It also has a good school system. I'm sure you will enjoy it if you live in that area.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:48 AM

1,100 posts, read 2,598,798 times
North Columbus is full of windng, hilly roads and with heavily wooded lots. Downtown Columbus of course is full of Victorian and even Antebellum homes,with condos on the way downtown. And have you thought about West Point? Very charming historic district with a nice little downtown. West Point also has newer homes on the outskirts on road going out towards Waverly Gold Club with heavily wooded, spacious lots. IMHO, New Hope and Caledonia are a little less interesting unless you need schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or