U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2006, 11:44 AM
 
207 posts, read 625,946 times
Reputation: 73

Advertisements

Hi All....Wondering if any of you good people could give me
ANY info about Iuka? All I know about it is that it is over the border from TN. Also, I understand that a lake is there.

Any info at all would be VERY appreciated!

Thanks for your time.
Angel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2006, 12:21 PM
 
176 posts, read 725,909 times
Reputation: 121
Default Iuka has some interesting geography

around it, lakes, forested hills, etc. but the town itself isn't very much. I spent a bit of time there a few years ago. It looks very run down and offers little in the way of shopping or services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2006, 05:11 AM
 
207 posts, read 625,946 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrradio
around it, lakes, forested hills, etc. but the town itself isn't very much. I spent a bit of time there a few years ago. It looks very run down and offers little in the way of shopping or services.

Thanks for the info, mrradio...can you tell me if there's any
other towns near by? Just wondering...hubby has a job offer there. We are going to check it out in Dec, but in the meantime I thought I'd find out as much as I can about the place. Doesn't sound too inviting tho' :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2006, 07:41 AM
 
176 posts, read 725,909 times
Reputation: 121
Default There are other towns nearby

but I think you're really asking if there are towns nearby that offer better shopping, services, medical care, etc. If I've misunderstood your question, please correct me. You really would have to drive a distance to find these things to any degree. Iuka is quite rural and, in my opinion, has seen better days.

I'm retired now but at one time, a few years ago, having come from a hectic life in suburbia I thought I would want something extremely secluded. I now realize that all, or at least most, of us seek decent shopping and services not too far away. I also now realize that we need some degree of connectedness to others whether it's through neighbors, a church, or some other way.

Iuka had been on our list after looking at other towns in N. Mississippi but I really can't recommend it in general. Tupelo, which is much larger, in fact, a real city, has a lot to offer in terms of housing and so forth. You might want to look there. Further afield we also thought a lot of Oxford.

We eventually moved to Tennessee and have enjoyed every minute here.

Wherever you move, good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2006, 07:51 AM
 
207 posts, read 625,946 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrradio
but I think you're really asking if there are towns nearby that offer better shopping, services, medical care, etc. If I've misunderstood your question, please correct me. You really would have to drive a distance to find these things to any degree. Iuka is quite rural and, in my opinion, has seen better days.

I'm retired now but at one time, a few years ago, having come from a hectic life in suburbia I thought I would want something extremely secluded. I now realize that all, or at least most, of us seek decent shopping and services not too far away. I also now realize that we need some degree of connectedness to others whether it's through neighbors, a church, or some other way.

Iuka had been on our list after looking at other towns in N. Mississippi but I really can't recommend it in general. Tupelo, which is much larger, in fact, a real city, has a lot to offer in terms of housing and so forth. You might want to look there. Further afield we also thought a lot of Oxford.

We eventually moved to Tennessee and have enjoyed every minute here.

Wherever you move, good luck in your search!
Well, that about sums it up! We did look at the Knoxville area, but it seemed too crowded for us. Maybe because it was around Christmas...don't know. I had read lots of threads on Knoxville and everyone proclaimed it was very low in traffic....we didn't find it to be so...where do you live in TN? We do like rural, but by the same token, as you say, you do need shopping etc, that's not too far away. Thanks so much for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2006, 07:53 AM
 
176 posts, read 725,909 times
Reputation: 121
Default We live near Cookeville in the middle

of the State. I saw your reply and have just a minute now. I'll answer at greater length later. Sorry to run now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2006, 07:59 AM
 
207 posts, read 625,946 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrradio
of the State. I saw your reply and have just a minute now. I'll answer at greater length later. Sorry to run now.
No hurry...whenever you have the time...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2006, 12:29 PM
 
176 posts, read 725,909 times
Reputation: 121
Default I'll now try to answer your inquiry

I assumed from your initial inquiry that you and your family were definitely relocating to the area around Iuka. I'm afraid that I really can't tell you more about it. My wife and I as part of my job used to travel a lot through the South, with the exception of Florida, on business. Having lived on Long Island for our entire lives, it seemed only natural to retire (or semi-retire-I still have business interests on Long Island) to the South. I had had enough of ever-increasing taxes, major highways that were in a perpetual state of construction without any benefit, rude people, high prices, and stratospheric utility costs.

We initially considered Mississippi (where we had a lot of acquaintances) and North Carolina, so we really zeroed in on them. We could locate where we wanted since I didn't have to earn a living. Mississippi, contrary to a national view, has a lot going for it-low taxes, friendly people, cheap housing and a good, if somewhat humid, climate. North Carolina, in the west, has gorgeous mountains and beautiful scenery.

We seriously looked at Natchez, having spent a lot of time there, but a long-depressed economy and the pervasive smell of a paper plant killed that idea. But what great houses! Still like the place....

We looked at Oxford, Hattiesburg (Nice housing, good economy) but very, very humid. Oxford, of course, has Ole' Miss and, again, great houses at reasonable prices. After looking at Holly Springs (very run down), Tupelo (not bad), etc., we started to gravitate northward to Tennnessee. We were looking for a not too large town (thereby eliminating Nashville, Knoxville (you're right! Lots of traffic!),and Chattanooga. Memphis has too many problems to even consider.

In Central TN, Cookeville and Crossville seemed to be getting an ever-increasing share of out of staters coming, some to retire, some to work at the University in Cookeville, as well as TN residents looking for something slower. The type of house we were looking for and the location happened to show up here in Cookeville but I could just as easily recommend many other great towns in TN including the Johnson City area, etc. Since we came here, many people from Michigan, Florida, the Northeast and, oddly, California have come here to live. They all tell me the same story of wanting more space, a slower pace, less taxation, a decent place to raise their family, etc. I don't see this migration to TN in the national media but I can tell you that it's a force in the economy.

We've been here almost three years and couldn't ask for more-low taxes, great shopping (and more on the way!), a large regional medical center with every specialty, low taxes, utility rates that are one-third of Long Island's, great neighbors...what's not too like? Well, I can't get a few NY specialty foods....big deal. We're east of Nashville so when I have to go back to NY, I don't have to go through Nashville to get to the airport.

My sister-in-law, fed up with NY City, is moving here. Bottom line: we're fortunate to live in a country that has so many great places to live. May you find yours!

Best wishes.

Last edited by mrradio; 07-27-2006 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2006, 06:54 PM
 
207 posts, read 625,946 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrradio
I assumed from your initial inquiry that you and your family were definitely relocating to the area around Iuka. I'm afraid that I really can't tell you more about it. My wife and I as part of my job used to travel a lot through the South, with the exception of Florida, on business. Having lived on Long Island for our entire lives, it seemed only natural to retire (or semi-retire-I still have business interests on Long Island) to the South. I had had enough of ever-increasing taxes, major highways that were in a perpetual state of construction without any benefit, rude people, high prices, and stratospheric utility costs.

We initially considered Mississippi (where we had a lot of acquaintances) and North Carolina, so we really zeroed in on them. We could locate where we wanted since I didn't have to earn a living. Mississippi, contrary to a national view, has a lot going for it-low taxes, friendly people, cheap housing and a good, if somewhat humid, climate. North Carolina, in the west, has gorgeous mountains and beautiful scenery.

We seriously looked at Natchez, having spent a lot of time there, but a long-depressed economy and the pervasive smell of a paper plant killed that idea. But what great houses! Still like the place....

We looked at Oxford, Hattiesburg (Nice housing, good economy) but very, very humid. Oxford, of course, has Ole' Miss and, again, great houses at reasonable prices. After looking at Holly Springs (very run down), Tupelo (not bad), etc., we started to gravitate northward to Tennnessee. We were looking for a not too large town (thereby eliminating Nashville, Knoxville (you're right! Lots of traffic!),and Chattanooga. Memphis has too many problems to even consider.

In Central TN, Cookeville and Crossville seemed to be getting an ever-increasing share of out of staters coming, some to retire, some to work at the University in Cookeville, as well as TN residents looking for something slower. The type of house we were looking for and the location happened to show up here in Cookeville but I could just as easily recommend many other great towns in TN including the Johnson City area, etc. Since we came here, many people from Michigan, Florida, the Northeast and, oddly, California have come here to live. They all tell me the same story of wanting more space, a slower pace, less taxation, a decent place to raise their family, etc. I don't see this migration to TN in the national media but I can tell you that it's a force in the economy.

We've been here almost three years and couldn't ask for more-low taxes, great shopping (and more on the way!), a large regional medical center with every specialty, low taxes, utility rates that are one-third of Long Island's, great neighbors...what's not too like? Well, I can't get a few NY specialty foods....big deal. We're east of Nashville so when I have to go back to NY, I don't have to go through Nashville to get to the airport.

My sister-in-law, fed up with NY City, is moving here. Bottom line: we're fortunate to live in a country that has so many great places to live. May you find yours!

Best wishes.
Hi mrradio....wow, that was quite an enlightening post....
appreciate it. Don't know if I have enough room here to answer it all, but, if not, I'll continue on another post.

First of all, hubby and I are from CA. Left for all the reasons you stated. At the moment we are in Florida..
been here for almost 2 years...just waiting until this year is up so we can put our house on the market...we HATE
the humidity here! Wouldn't be too bad if it were just for
the summer, but it all starts in April and goes on until Nov.
No spring or fall here...just a couple of months that you're able to go outside without sweating to death!

Hubby still works and I'm stay at home...children are raised and gone. We too, looked at North Carolina...just
love the mountains there...there was a possible job in New Bern...we checked out the place and found it to be another FL...hot and humid. A lady we met there, (native), said she didn't know what was happening but the coastal area of NC was getting just like FL....didn't used to be that way.
Needles to say, we're not pursuing that job. Another offer came from, of all places, Iuka...that's why the post. We're also looking at Huntsville, AL.

We do like rural, but not total isolation. If you've been to Huntsville in your travels and have any info to share it would be appreciated. We do plan to go there right after Christmas and check it out....Iuka too!

Again, thanks for your time.

Best Wishes,
Angel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2006, 03:15 PM
 
176 posts, read 725,909 times
Reputation: 121
Default I'm sure that you'll be successful

in your search. As I wrote, we bounced from one possibility to another, eventually finding this home in this town and couldn't be more delighted.

While Huntsville is a good town (strong economy), I'd suggest you look in some of the suburbs. A bit further afield but truly great towns are Arab (pronounced "EY-rab") and Cullman. If I were going to that area I'd definitely check them out. Nice, clean towns with a great housing stock in all price ranges.

I'd like to respond some more, if I may, a little later when I have a bit more free time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:43 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top