U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:56 PM

8 posts, read 29,094 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am about to start nursing school in a week and will be done in about a year. I have lived in Iowa my entire life, and have inherited the family curse--the itchy feet. I have been thinking about it for a long time, and have decided that I would love to move to the south. I've never been there, but have heard many amazing things. I'm just so ready for a change! I love Iowa (as everyone has a tiny place in their hearts for their home town) but am ready to start a new life in a warmer, lusher, climate. I have heard that Mississippi has some of the most hospitable, friendly people in the country, and that attracts me a lot. Where I live now, it is frequently between -10 and -20 degrees in the winter time, and the crime rate is unreal. The people are unfriendly and bitter, and there is a lot of thefts and break-ins. I'm ready to leave the cold climate AND people behind me!!!

I am looking for a small town, perhaps something semi-rural around the coast that would be within 20-45 mins. to a bigger city (for work, shopping, etc.) Since I don't know anything about Mississippi, anything you could help me with would be amazing! What is cost of living like? home prices? And wages? Will I be able to afford a decent sized home? Is it possible to get something near the water for $150,000-$200,000? I don't need a lot of room, just 2 bedrooms, 1-1.5 baths. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 04:42 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,253,424 times
I suggest Bay St. Louis. It is 1 hour from New Orleans, and about 30 minutes from Gulfport/Biloxi. I haven't been there since Hurricane Katrina hit, but it was a really nice place before. Maybe someone else can tell you more about post Katrina Bay St. Louis?

Bay St. Louis

Old 02-01-2010, 05:53 PM

well, thank you for the suggestion! I'll have to look it up. Its kind of sad, I haven't gotten much of a response on my thread...I'm glad someone is out there!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:06 PM

767 posts, read 2,081,279 times
Bay St Louis was completely wiped out by Katrina. It has recovered a little but it will never be the same. I suggest Ocean Springs.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:21 PM

I was looking into ocean springs as well. I am a nurse, and will need to find work. Are there many medical facilities in the ocean springs area? And what about home insurance rates, housing prices, etc.?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,746,524 times
You are right that Mississippi's climate is lush and the people ultra-friendly. That's absolutely a nice description. For small, nice semi-rural towns in South Mississippi near the Coast - you should look at Lucedale, Wiggins, Perkinston, and Poplarville about 30 or 40 minutes north of the coast. These towns are convenient not only to the Mississippi Coast but also New Orleans and Mobile. Or you could just be right by the coast since much of it just north of the beach does feel semi-rural, specifically Long Beach and Pass Christian. Also an area called North Woolmarket along old Highway 67 just north of Gulfport and Biloxi is semi-rural but quite close to the city. Same for Carriere, Mississippi just north of Picayune which is close to both Bay St. Louis on the Coast and New Orleans. Carriere actually has a fairly nice supply of homes and a couple of golf courses due to proximity to Stennis Space Center. For what you are looking for in your description, these are all very nice areas.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:08 AM

767 posts, read 2,081,279 times
There are major medical facilities in Ocean Springs. Something to be aware of, insurance on the coast is very expensive. The closer to the water ,the higher it is. Price insurance before buying a house. There are plenty of nice affordable houses in Ocean Springs and Jackson county.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:11 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,873,946 times
Take the time to visit before you move. And DEFINITELY secure employment before you move.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:14 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,289,437 times
FSU Mike is 100 % correct!! MS is suffering from terrible unemployment rates right now.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:10 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Would you consider going closer to Mobile, Al? Or even Fairhope, Al? Might be more job opportunity and more young things to do. I think you might want an area with a community of people from out of the area because MS is very family-oriented and it can be hard to find contacts outside of work unless you are careful about a locale with activities and groups for newcomers. Others will know more about that factor in Ocean Springs which does have a nice atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi