U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 09:03 AM

3 posts, read 12,694 times

Advertisements

I am a 30 year old black professional woman that needs some help in the friendship area. I find myself wanting more out of life and would love to share memories with like minded women along the way. Growing up we were on the verge or a small step up from poor even though we were happy as a family. Therefore, all the friends I made were like me. Now that I have been to college, studied hard and am for the most part successful in life, my childhood friends are still working low paying jobs and I find myself paying for everything when we go out, take trips, dinner etc. The reason is they can't afford to and if I don't pay I will never go anyplace with anybody. This post is getting longer than I anticipated it to be, so my question is: How does a woman meet other women for friendship or social outings (without me seeming like a lesbian) that has the financial means? I love my friends dearly but would love to have a friend(s) that could pull their own weight sometimes. Also, I work with a group of men so there is no meeting anyone at work.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 09:39 AM

37 posts, read 141,701 times
Oh you poor thing. My heart goes out to ya. Do you attend church and have you looked for like minded women there?

What about going to galleries, events or parties? while shopping, talk to the customers you might find something compatible you can relate to.

Family friends can led to new acquaintances.

That's all I have, wishing U the Best.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,970 times
Have you tried praying?

Old 05-31-2007, 12:26 PM

Msbelle thanks for your reply. Actually I have not thought of church. Thanks for your kind words.

Cwilliams thank you also for your suggestion.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:39 PM

178 posts, read 1,140,869 times
"I am a 30 year old black professional woman...." try networking events in your area. Professionals I know regularly attend meetings for the local chamber of commerce, professional associations (women's council of realtors, business women's league), civic functions (Jaycees, Rotary, etc), political groups (young democrats, etc), non-profits (museums, historical societies, etc) and volunteer groups (hospitals, habitat for humanity, etc.). You may have to attend more than a few to meet like-minded souls, but you will.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:31 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,613,193 times
I can empathize. I found the following provides opportunities. Join a fitness club and participate in some classes. Take a course at a local university--noncredit if need be--a language course--a music appreciation class--try some golf lessons and join a beginner's group. There is also Meetup: World's largest community of local Meetups, clubs and groups! which, of course, requires the usual caution.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:21 AM

3,927 posts, read 7,873,704 times
You didn't mention what area of the state you live in or how large your town was. That would be a great place to start, as mentioned above, civic clubs, garden clubs, and business organizations are all great places to meet new friends. I don't know what type of work you do, but am sure there are other women who might do the same, if there are any continuing ed classes for hours or such or meetings check them out.

In Tupelo, there is the local theatre that preforms different plays, the arts are another gathering area as well as classic music preformances.

Check out your local paper, many times under the what's happening section they list area meetings, and events to go see and do.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:45 AM

56 posts, read 365,527 times
I don't know anything about you but I had the same problem I am 32. I found out that I had a mean face. I was told that I look mean all the time making me unapproachable. I didn't even know this about myself. So now I actually smile more, I made some friends in the hair saloon recently. I am married, but I made friends with some of my husbands female co workers. I say all this just to say make sure that there isn't something about you that makes you seem not likeable attitude, shy, mean face. If everything is fine with you then smile and speak to every one who looks friendly and somebody will have a conversation with you.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:58 AM

37 posts, read 141,701 times
Great answer Kimbo and all the rest too.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:34 AM

Thanks Kimbo123 that is a great suggestion. I actually smile and am very pleasant most of the time. However, I do hear of people having that problem of "looking" unapproachable. I am glad that everything has worked out in a more positive way for you. You guys have been wonderful with all the suggestions. I have to be honest and quite embarrassed that I hadn't thought of any of these before now. When you know better you will do better. I am learning how to create a web page for other people like me (this was one of the suggested sites from you guys!) who wants to mingle and meet other people with different interests and likes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or