Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:09 PM

79 posts, read 227,484 times

Advertisements

I love everything that Mississippi has to offer. I would love to move there in a year or two. What I'm not sure about is finding a Trucking job near or in a small town. I've looked on the net, but I think I might have better luck asking you who live in Mississippi. could any body tell me any info about their area. (obs, land, and housing)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill1971 View Post
I love everything that Mississippi has to offer. I would love to move there in a year or two. What I'm not sure about is finding a Trucking job near or in a small town. I've looked on the net, but I think I might have better luck asking you who live in Mississippi. could any body tell me any info about their area. (obs, land, and housing)?
Just looking in different towns different States. Trying to put together a plan to put down some roots.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:05 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
I used to live around Starkville/Columbus, but I haven't lived there in years. I'm sorry I don't know about any jobs, and housing in Starkville is inflated because of the university. I would imagine Oxford is the same.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-22-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I used to live around Starkville/Columbus, but I haven't lived there in years. I'm sorry I don't know about any jobs, and housing in Starkville is inflated because of the university. I would imagine Oxford is the same.

Good luck to you!
Thanx Peppermint! All info is helpful. I'm 100% country, and I just don't fit in the BIG City's". University town ether for that matter. I need a lot of room...5 kids and all.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:03 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,072 times
What are you asking exactly? Mississippi has hundreds of small towns with open countryside and low housing costs.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:09 PM

Well, there lots of small towns in and around Starkville, Columbus and Tupelo. I just don't know anything about jobs. I wish someone would post who could help you out.

Ackerman is a small town with a grocery store, pharmacy, Freds, and some gas stations. It's rural. Then there's Eupora, which is just a little bigger. Both are commutable to Starkville. I don't think housing is very expensive in that area either. Of course, there are smaller towns like Sturgis and Weir, which are very country (farms, very few stores, etc).

I like Louisville and Kosciusko too. They have Wal-Marts, etc. but are really not big towns. I think the area around there is beautiful too. Again, I don't think housing would be too bad (under 150K certainly for modest a 3-4 BR).

In North MS, Aberdeen, Batesville, and Ripley aren't too bad.

I'm not a fan of the coast - hurricanes, you know. So, I will not be helpful at all when it comes to places south of Jackson. I prefer North MS. Although, Vicksburg and Natchez are nice.

I'm probably not too helpful. Do look online for jobs. If you find an area that you're interested in, let us know. Maybe more folks can help if and when you can narrow it down a bit.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
What are you asking exactly? Mississippi has hundreds of small towns with open countryside and low housing costs.
a place to run my horse, enough country side my kids can run their 4 wheelers without up-setting the neighbors. I got the low housing costs and the hundreds of small towns... it's the trucking jobs in and around the hundreds of small towns.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Well, there lots of small towns in and around Starkville, Columbus and Tupelo. I just don't know anything about jobs. I wish someone would post who could help you out.

Ackerman is a small town with a grocery store, pharmacy, Freds, and some gas stations. It's rural. Then there's Eupora, which is just a little bigger. Both are commutable to Starkville. I don't think housing is very expensive in that area either. Of course, there are smaller towns like Sturgis and Weir, which are very country (farms, very few stores, etc).

I like Louisville and Kosciusko too. They have Wal-Marts, etc. but are really not big towns. I think the area around there is beautiful too. Again, I don't think housing would be too bad (under 150K certainly for modest a 3-4 BR).

In North MS, Aberdeen, Batesville, and Ripley aren't too bad.

I'm not a fan of the coast - hurricanes, you know. So, I will not be helpful at all when it comes to places south of Jackson. I prefer North MS. Although, Vicksburg and Natchez are nice.

I'm probably not too helpful. Do look online for jobs. If you find an area that you're interested in, let us know. Maybe more folks can help if and when you can narrow it down a bit.

Best wishes to you and your family.
I'm going to look up Ackerman. and check out the job market. I've been to Batesville in 08'. Passing through (trucking) Close to the Interstate.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:23 PM

Peppermint, you are most helpful. Thank you very much!

Old 02-22-2010, 08:34 PM

You are welcome. Wish I had some job leads for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi