Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 PM

7 posts, read 22,274 times

Advertisements

We are checking a couple of available locations within husband's company one of which is Byhalia. I have an 8 year old still home with us the eldest is away to college. We have a large breed dog that is my medical needs service companion and a small pet dog.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. We will most likely rent when first get there if rents are available till we find the location to buy in and have been looking in areas desoto? and olive branch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 10:25 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
I don't think there are many houses to rent in the area. I suggest you find a realtor by looking at the online real estate sites and then calling them to talk. Find someone you are comfortable with.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:00 AM

7 posts, read 22,274 times
I have been hearing that there are just no rentals really available at either location. I guess because so many these days are losseing their homes it has boosted the rental business.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 21,305 times
Default It is possible

My husband and I and our 2 children relocated to North Mississippi area from Northeast Texas about 2 months ago. We have a large dog and we have 4 small dogs. We wanted to be in a location that is a country living atmosphere so we also were looking at Byhalia. We are living in Byhalia now (well the community we live in is actually called Barton, but our mail goes through Byhalia so that is our address) in a place that we are leasing. It could take you a bit of time, lots of phone calls and contacts, lots of driving around looking and researching but there are places to rent in this area. We wanted to rent first to be sure that we like the area and then look to buy later.
I contacted realtors online and on the phone, but actually found our place myself on cragslist. Every morning I would check the classifieds in the local papers and check the classifieds on craigslist for listings. Then I would make a list and start contacting and/or making appointments to see. Be careful with craigslist, there are scams and things that you run into, but keep at it and don't get frustrated or give up.
We did have a slight advantage to finding something here. The company that my husband was going to work for put us in an apartment for 4 weeks at their expense to give us some time to find something here. I had been trying from our old home, but it was really impossible to do without being able to just run and take a look at places after contacting.
Maybe you could contact some of the apartments around the area and explain things to see if you could find something that does not require signing a really long lease.
We were in an apartment in Southaven, MS. It took me almost 3 weeks to find something we liked and could afford. I was getting to the point of giving up and I started thinking we would just be forced to sign a lease and stay in an apartment until we were ready to buy. Then I found our house and 3 acres and we love it. It is country living yet not a long drive for shopping and stuff.

So there are rental properties here just not a whole bunch of them and you have some work ahead of you in order to find them. Most of what the local realtors offered us were out of our price range that we were trying to stay in so finding it myself worked out perfect.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:56 PM

15 posts, read 57,797 times
Just a note in case you have children, the school system in that area is not that great. Marshall County has never been know for having great schools. Don't take this the wrong way, they have made tons of improvements in the last 10 years to the schools there, and they are ok, but Desoto County has a much better reputation on the school system.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:44 PM

8 posts, read 27,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner08 View Post
Just a note in case you have children, the school system in that area is not that great. Marshall County has never been know for having great schools. Don't take this the wrong way, they have made tons of improvements in the last 10 years to the schools there, and they are ok, but Desoto County has a much better reputation on the school system.
+1 with this... Byhalia is just across the county line from Desoto. It would be worth the 15-20 minute extra drive from Desoto to your husbands work, and live and raise your family in Desoto County.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 7,674 times
Default Anything to add.

I was watching this post as well and was hoping someone else from the Byhalia, OB area will chime in. Help us out with information.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:15 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,072 times
What information are you wanting exactly??

Old 02-25-2010, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,674 times
Cool Relocation Info.

We had heard that Desoto County has the better schools but the Byhalia area seems to be cheaper as far as housing. Is there a private school in Byhalia that may be an option. I see there is a small circle track for go karts? and a drag strip but how is the fishing?

Old 02-25-2010, 09:10 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
You could try Marshall Academy in Holly Springs, but if you're going to pay for private school you might as well spend a little more to live in DeSoto Co.

Like others here have said, the public schools in Marshall County are not very good and the HS is kinda ghettoish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi