Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 10:14 AM

38 posts, read 233,152 times

Advertisements

It looks like my family and I will be moving to Olive Branch in the next couple of months. I'm really confused about the school districts. Are all of the schools in the county good? I wanted Olive Branch schools, but depending on where we find a house I may end up in another school..........

It looks like all the schools in the county are one district. Here in NY each town/city has it's own district (example, I live in Broome County and there are7 or more school districts in the county), so this is why I am confused I guess..lol

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Jamie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2006, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 20,014 times
Default Olive Branch/Desoto County

Hi!
I moved to this area (Northern Desoto County) a few years ago from California. I looked at many nice newer homes in Olive Branch, Southaven & Hernando for about 3-4 months and decided on a used, custom built, brick 4000+ sq. ft. home on 1.25 acre with access to a private lake in the Stonehedge Community of Southaven at under $100/sq. ft. A similar sized home in Olive Branch would cost from $60K to $100K more.

Regarding schools in Desoto County, The highest ranked schools in Mississippi are in Desoto County. The highest ranked public high schools in Deosto County are Olive Branch High School and Desoto Central High School (less than two miles from my home). The highest ranking private school in Desoto County and perhaps in all of Mississippi is Southern Babtist Educational Center (SBEC) which is about a mile from my home.

Feel free to contact me Moderator cut: no personal information, please use direct message feature if you need any futher information. I have lived in the area for about 3 years and I have developed a great network of contacts in the area that could be helpful.

Dave

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-01-2007 at 05:32 PM..

Old 07-13-2006, 12:09 PM

38 posts, read 233,152 times
Default thanks

Thanks for your reply. I am really hoping to make sure we are in Olive branch schools. I'm just not sure I understand the school zones (I got a map off their website but it is very hard to read).

I'll be in touch!

Jamie

Old 07-13-2006, 01:46 PM

3 posts, read 20,014 times
Default Desoto County School Zones

Here you are:

http://www.desoto.k12.ms.us/zones2.htm (broken link)

Old 07-13-2006, 02:22 PM

285 posts, read 1,091,129 times
Jamie,
You have a private message. I have information about the Desoto County Schools that I feel that you should know.
Peggy

Old 07-15-2006, 05:25 AM

79 posts, read 422,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriecke
It looks like my family and I will be moving to Olive Branch in the next couple of months. I'm really confused about the school districts. Are all of the schools in the county good? I wanted Olive Branch schools, but depending on where we find a house I may end up in another school..........

It looks like all the schools in the county are one district. Here in NY each town/city has it's own district (example, I live in Broome County and there are7 or more school districts in the county), so this is why I am confused I guess..lol

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Jamie
Jamie-

Just be careful where you live in Olive Branch. There is a great deal of crime spillover from Whitehaven, Parkway Village and Hickory Hill in Memphis and it is affecting things in Horn Lake, Southaven and Olive Branch. Just recently two Olive Branch cops were shot and nearly killed by a dirtbag from Memphis. There has been an increase in property crimes out there. You may want to think about Hernando.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:13 AM

48 posts, read 284,324 times
Pegmomof4,

I just sent you a PM. You can respond by PM or email. Thanks.

JMSTiger,

Can you tell me more about Hernando? Anything is helpful. I'm still searching for a place to settle as well as job hunting. Have a 14 year old son to place in a good school. Nothing in AR impresses me highly, so I'm looking for a place somewhere near Memphis, but out of the Memphis City School District. There are some jobs in DeSoto County of interest, but I'm not familiar with the area. The info about the crime you posted here is very helpful. Thanks.

Last edited by pannod; 07-15-2006 at 11:20 AM..

Old 07-16-2006, 03:57 AM

79 posts, read 422,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannod
Pegmomof4,

I just sent you a PM. You can respond by PM or email. Thanks.

JMSTiger,

Can you tell me more about Hernando? Anything is helpful. I'm still searching for a place to settle as well as job hunting. Have a 14 year old son to place in a good school. Nothing in AR impresses me highly, so I'm looking for a place somewhere near Memphis, but out of the Memphis City School District. There are some jobs in DeSoto County of interest, but I'm not familiar with the area. The info about the crime you posted here is very helpful. Thanks.
Hernando is the county seat of DeSoto County and is located further south of Horn Lake, Southaven and Olive Branch (and thus further south of Memphis). Hernando was a quant old Southern town and it still maintains some of that old charm, where as Horn Lake, Southaven and Olive Branch are straight suburbia and have no charm. Hernando is starting to take off with a lot of new housing and commerical development. It is located very close to I-55, so even though you could possibly have a longer commute, you will have a good road to commute on. DeSoto County Schools are very good. I highly recommend Hernando and southern DeSoto County over the mess that is northern DeSoto County.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:40 AM

48 posts, read 284,324 times
Thanks so much for the info, JMSTiger. I will probably visit Hernando at some point because it sounds worth the drive for a visit.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 16,170 times
Default Thoughts on Hernando

You should visit Hernando. I live in between Southaven and Hernando and I like where I'm at, but I would have to agree that you should stay away from anything North of Goodman Road and some parts of Olive Branch. The people of Hernando are generally nice. You have people who have lived there since it was a sleepy little town, and you also have the 25-35 year old debutants who now live in Hernando and think that when they eat at J.W. Miller that they're sitting down at Spago. You just have to laugh. However - it is a nice place to raise a family, as is the Southern part of Southaven. I also sell real estate but I do it from my home and like to work only a few deals at a time in order to give them, (and my two girls) the attention they deserve. Housing has seen a huge boom here in the last 5-10 years. The best thing to do is to keep YOUR needs in perspective and don't be swayed by what other people think you have to have. There's a big game of keeping up with the Jones' here. Just don't play into and you're really going to enjoy living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi