U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-08-2010, 10:28 PM

3 posts, read 6,190 times

Advertisements

We are a young family with 2 toddler girls thinking about moving to MS. We currently live in a small-mid size town in Oregon and may have to relocate due to the economy right now. My husband owns an RV business and thats all hes done in his life. . .is their any job oppurtunities where he could use his skills from owning a business and possibly find a decent paying job easily? Where are some nice places to raise 2 young children? Do residents welcome new businesses in MS or is it tough to start a business there? Would a contracting business be a smart choice in MS? We don't want to live in a really big town. . maybe a rural area within 20 miles of a big town would be good for us. How bad is the devastation from Katrina at this point? We have looked at a few towns and like the way they look online but online is alot different then reality. We looked at Ocean Springs, Pascagoula, Picayune, Hattiesburg, and Gulfport. Also a decent house for around 120,000 is our budget. . would two avg jobs and cost of living in missippi support a mortgage on a 120000 house? Please if you could help me answer any of these questions and tell me more about Mississippi I would appreciate it. . we are very serious about this possible move!

The Eddys
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 08:52 AM

2,315 posts, read 2,472,922 times
I don't specifically know about the types of jobs you mentioned, but moving to MS without a job is not a good idea right now. Unemployment rates are some of the highest in the nation. We know quite a few people who have been laid off and are struggling to find work. If you open a contracting business, you will be competing with many long-time, trusted area contractors in a very bad economy. My knowledge is of north MS, not south MS so maybe the situation is better down there.

I wish you the very best of luck.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:14 AM

64 posts, read 141,814 times
I agree with peppermint and that is not meant to discourage you, just facts. The problme with moving to any town, especially a small town and trying to be a contractor is competition with older established companies. People in our area tend to be loyal to those that they have done business with in the past. It takes time to build a loyal customer base.
But to answer another of your questions, yes, two average jobs would qualify you for a $120,000 house.
Good luck on your move, let us know what you do.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:18 PM

What would be a good job in those areas? I was wondering if a contracting business would do well because of Katrina. I have owned a business ever since I was 18 years old and have no college and very little work experience other then the R.V industry, but have been fairly successful until the down turn in the economy. We are also looking to move to MS for a change and I would like to work in a different field if at all possible. I would be willing to work just about any job as long as it could support my family and would hopefully be able to start a business in time. With the layoffs you mentioned what kind of industry is doing poor, and can you tell me if any industry is doing well in the area? What are some areas you would recommend?

Old 03-09-2010, 08:32 PM

5 posts, read 5,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyFam44 View Post
What would be a good job in those areas? I was wondering if a contracting business would do well because of Katrina. I have owned a business ever since I was 18 years old and have no college and very little work experience other then the R.V industry, but have been fairly successful until the down turn in the economy. We are also looking to move to MS for a change and I would like to work in a different field if at all possible. I would be willing to work just about any job as long as it could support my family and would hopefully be able to start a business in time. With the layoffs you mentioned what kind of industry is doing poor, and can you tell me if any industry is doing well in the area? What are some areas you would recommend?
you could be a chicken farmer! they seem to thrive in the southern Mississippi area. Don't be romanced by the gone with the wind charm, it isn't real. People here are the same as anywhere in small town America, if you aren't from here it takes a long time of scrutiny by the locals before you are "accepted" and then it's only to your face. Sorry that you feel you need to leave your home for employment, it is hot hot hot here and very humid. Check out the ratings on the schools in the area, Mississippi is near the bottom of the barrel when it comes to education. Towns like Collins and Hazlehurst are literally at the bottom of the scale when it comes to schools. Seriously it's nice to have spring in February but the rest of it isn't exactly worth it. Do the research and make sure you check the demographics before you consider moving here, there is also a HUGE crystal meth problem in the rural areas in southern Mississippi.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:52 PM

Thank You! That was very encouraging LOL.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:14 AM

2,025 posts, read 1,732,035 times
I know one of the top (hyperluxury) residential contractors in Mississippi. He is besieged with resumes from bankrupted luxury contractors, from the former boom areas of the nation, who are now desperate to work for him. These are seriously high-quality people, who were building five and six million dollar palazzi, until the Depression hit.

Unfortunately, he has had to let his mediocre workers go, and can only keep his best and most reliable people (the nucleus of his business), and so certainly cannot hire ANYBODY. He only has work because of longtime relationships with the area's wealthiest individuals. So, you can imagine what it would be like trying to start such a business without contacts.

IF we have an economic recovery, contracting might come back: but why not branch out into something related to RV sales? Maybe mobile home/manufactured housing sales? Many of our cities are disintegrating, right now, and people (this time) do not have the money to start over, after they've been wiped out by 'diversity'. Greenville, Mississippi is a good example. Because of 'crime' people virtually abandoned really fine houses in town, built from between 1900 and 1975, and are now huddled in trailers, out in the countryside. Demographic changes killed their businesses, killed their town, rendered their homes virtually unsellable...and now they are reduced to living in small trailers.

You know the issues pertinent to 'canned' living, and would make expert brokers for used manufactured housing. Even used, that's a big ticket item. With enough turnover, you could be sitting pretty. And I don't see that you would need to change regions to do that. Mississippi is nice, but this climate out here in Oregon is HEAVEN! Mississippi is extremely hot, five months of the year. I never minded the heat, or the humidity: but a great many people do.

But if you're moving to Mississippi, be aware that the state has horrendous demographic problems in most of the cities. The best rule of thumb is to choose towns on the Eastern side of the state, where the land was too poor to support plantations. There is less residue of slavery in that part of the state, and many of the small towns are really quaint. But be prepared to join one of the local churches. In rural Mississippi, it's all about church. That can actually be extremely nice; particularly with two small children.

Alternately, you might try property management or office cleaning. Those are good jobs for starting out small. Both can lead to bigger things, if you're hard workers and astute people managers. Those jobs, however, tend to be in bigger towns. Be aware, though, that you would be competing with immigrant labor.

And who's to say you can't re-train and sell cars? Oregon, for the time being, is still HEAVEN. We just moved here from Mississippi, and are having the time of our lives. Stay out here, if you can.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:56 AM

2,315 posts, read 2,472,922 times
EddyFam44, I don't think any of us are actively trying to discourage you. The job situation is just very, very bad right now. The truth is, I don't know of any particular industry that is hiring except education and medical. One good friend of our family worked for 20+ years as a janitor at a government facility and was laid off last year. He has since worked at a fast food chain, that had to lay him off. He's struggling to find anything.

If you are in the medical field (doctor, nurse, CNA, etc) or in education (teacher, principal, etc), then you could probably find a job quite easily. However, you wrote that these aren't your fields.

I'm sorry to seem so negative. If there is some sort of home business (eBay, Amazon, website design, computer programming contractor services, etc) that allows you to live anywhere and still have income, then I don't see a problem.

I do wish you the best.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:09 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,627,250 times
Fair warning--from the posters here. MS is great if you have a good income and live in a nice area. In a place like Oxford or other university towns or the coast and a professional lifestyle it can be remarkably affordable and pleasant. Construction was booming before the recession in South Misissippi--now it is stagnant. No job in a rural area could be deadly both economically and socially. I would suggest only coming if you have a job and it should be in the coastal areas or Hattiesburg in the South, Jackson or Tupelo, or the Memphis suburbs if you want amenities and people who are more sophisticated.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:39 AM

1,156 posts, read 852,045 times
Even when there were jobs in Mississippi, these were some of the lowest paid in the nation (avg. salaries around $25K per year). Consider as well that while wages have usually been low in this state, the cost of living was low as well.

A $120K home would be very modest in places like Oxford, Tupelo, Jackson, Hattiesburg and the Coast. But one could get a nice home for that price in a rural area, yet employment opportunities in these parts would be slim. Some of the more rural areas are facing around 20% unemployment.

Traditionally during bad economic times, Mississippi recovers rather slowly. After the 1992 recession, spurred by the IT wave, many Mississippi communities didn't begin to see even internet service providers until the late 90s--and it was around this time the state fully came out of the recession.

I too came from the west coast to Mississippi some 13 years ago. It was a rather miserable experience. Until folks got to know me, I was much an outcast because of where I was from. Having said that, might I add that moving from Michigan to central California for college, I experience a similar culture shock and ostracism as when I moved from Cali to Miss. The whole time I lived in Cali, the only true friends I made were with people who had also migrated from back East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi