U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-19-2010, 12:37 PM
 
1,350 posts, read 3,622,217 times
Reputation: 1264

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
Being gay is not sexual preference - it is part of one's sexual IDENTITY.
Point well-taken Poptones--I agree. Preference is a poor choice of words.

 
Old 03-19-2010, 01:27 PM
 
150 posts, read 265,147 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Except that we aren't talking about marriage are we? Oh..I see where you are going with this: We should ban everyone who is "joined together as one flesh" and not married from attending the prom. That would have ruled me out for my senior prom. Actually, I'm pretty sure that would have ruled out most of the senior class. Should my school have canceled the prom? After all, premarital sex is a "sin", right? Is being gay a worse sin? What if these girls don't have a physically intimate relationship? Does going to the prom together constitute a "sin"? Wearing a tux as a female? Sin?

This is not about what you believe to be morally right. This is about a student's absolute constitutional right to be treated the same as everyone else. It's not a moral debate. There are still people in Mississippi who think that interracial marriage should be illegal. I completely support their right to hold on to that antiquated way of thinking. And I completely support your right to believe that homosexuality is a sin. However, as I've said before, the moment your "rights" bump into someone else's they end.

This is a no brainer. The school simply cannot discriminate against a student based on sexuality. There is no right to prom. But canceling the prom because of the controversy won't protect the school. It is obvious to anyone that this prom was canceled because two girls might show up together and one might wear a tux. This decision was based on ignorance and fear. Y'all are afraid your kids might catch the gay! Guess what??? It's not contagious!
If same sex marriage is against GOD then same sex dating sure the hell
is!

BTW, your were the one who started throwing around the teachings of Jesus in this thread.

This is a no brainer. A school board can do whatever they wish and if you don't like it you can either leave the school district or take them to court.
 
Old 03-19-2010, 01:54 PM
 
783 posts, read 1,937,638 times
Reputation: 528
We can all do what we wish; we can murder, rape, abuse others... and the law, which is agreed upon by anyone who chooses to remain in our society, ensures that those who do "as they wish" are held accountable.

Your argument certainly is a "no brainer." Alas, such is the problem with much of our culture.
 
Old 03-19-2010, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Floribama
15,032 posts, read 31,417,551 times
Reputation: 13842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Hummmmmm, well, it could be worse, you could be in alabama.
Oh really? How is Alabama worse?

Just a gay Alabamian here wanting to know.
 
Old 03-19-2010, 02:59 PM
 
1,182 posts, read 2,542,836 times
Reputation: 1065
Quote:
This is a no brainer. A school board can do whatever they wish and if you don't like it you can either leave the school district or take them to court.
See, that's where you are dead wrong. The school board can NOT do whatever they wish. We have laws in place that protect students from discrimination. No student has the right to a prom. However, trying to argue that this prom was canceled for any reason other than discrimination against a gay student is futile. I would love to be the attorney representing that child. Your school board is fixing to get a lesson in civics. And I imagine a very expensive one.
 
Old 03-19-2010, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,522 posts, read 7,470,177 times
Reputation: 10928
Moderator cut: language removed


What is scary is the fact that so many people see my post as if it come from the dark ages. The values I cling to are the values of the bible, the values of our fathers and grandfathers. Those are the values that America and the western world were built on. I find it sad and terrifying to see that most posters in here are so leftist, progressive and just plain brainwashed that they can no longer see right from wrong. We should NOT be tolerant of openly sinful lifestyles. We should want to see these people repent, so they may get to heaven. In fact we should be praying for them to repent, and to have the holy spirit work on thier hearts. Modern society now encourages and accepts deviant sinful behaivor, so we are actually encouraging people to fall away from the lord. If this level of progressivism/liberalism can be found in the Mississippi forum, geeze what will I find if I go to the California or Massachussets forums?? What will become of our nation if we abandon all moral standards, turn away from god??? History shows examples of what may be coming. THe Roman empire fell under its own decadence and immorality, and ancient Isreal was destroyed and scattered to the corners of the earth. I fear for our future.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-19-2010 at 09:06 PM..
 
Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Pittsford, NY
233 posts, read 596,494 times
Reputation: 150
Logo did a documentary on Mississippi's gay climate, which has discouraged me from ever visiting that state. It's called "Small Town Gay Bar".
 
Old 03-19-2010, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,573,442 times
Reputation: 3235
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
What is scary is the fact that so many people see my post as if it come from the dark ages. The values I cling to are the values of the bible, the values of our fathers and grandfathers. Those are the values that America and the western world were built on. I find it sad and terrifying to see that most posters in here are so leftist, progressive and just plain brainwashed that they can no longer see right from wrong. We should NOT be tolerant of openly sinful lifestyles. We should want to see these people repent, so they may get to heaven. In fact we should be praying for them to repent, and to have the holy spirit work on thier hearts. Modern society now encourages and accepts deviant sinful behaivor, so we are actually encouraging people to fall away from the lord. If this level of progressivism/liberalism can be found in the Mississippi forum, geeze what will I find if I go to the California or Massachussets forums?? What will become of our nation if we abandon all moral standards, turn away from god??? History shows examples of what may be coming. THe Roman empire fell under its own decadence and immorality, and ancient Isreal was destroyed and scattered to the corners of the earth. I fear for our future.
America, and the rest of the Western world were built on Christian values. Really? When exactly was this a Christian nation? When did we honor Biblical values? Was it during the 17th century, when we dominated the transatlantic slave trade and burned "witches" at the stake? Was it in the 18th century, when minorities, women, the poor, and anyone who wasn't a land-owning White male couldn't vote; and genocide was committed against Native Americans in the name of "Manifest Destiny?" Was it during the 19th century, when we actually started a civil war over the "right" to own slaves? Was that when our "moral standards" were superior? Or was it during the first half of the 20th century, when we had regular lynchings, KKK terrorism, and Jim Crow segregation, before things started to change in the 'all-evil' 'satanic' 60s?

Do you really think that slavery, segregation, genocide, civil war, and disenfranchisement of the poor are Christian values? We practiced those evils, and many more, during the time period that many of the Religious Right long for. If anything, we are more Christian now than we were in the 1800s.

Also, I'm not a liberal.
 
Old 03-19-2010, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,522 posts, read 7,470,177 times
Reputation: 10928
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
America, and the rest of the Western world were built on Christian values. Really? When exactly was this a Christian nation? When did we honor Biblical values? Was it during the 17th century, when we dominated the transatlantic slave trade and burned "witches" at the stake? Was it in the 18th century, when minorities, women, the poor, and anyone who wasn't a land-owning White male couldn't vote; and genocide was committed against Native Americans in the name of "Manifest Destiny?" Was it during the 19th century, when we actually started a civil war over the "right" to own slaves? Was that when our "moral standards" were superior? Or was it during the first half of the 20th century, when we had regular lynchings, KKK terrorism, and Jim Crow segregation, before things started to change in the 'all-evil' 'satanic' 60s?

Do you really think that slavery, segregation, genocide, civil war, and disenfranchisement of the poor are Christian values? We practiced those evils, and many more, during the time period that many of the Religious Right long for. If anything, we are more Christian now than we were in the 1800s.

Also, I'm not a liberal.

Your worse than a liberal, your an apologist. You are sorry that America was created because of what happened to the "native americans". The indians were living as pagans, dying of common disease, living hand to mouth one step away from starvation. They were killing each other in pointless tribal wars. Did our ancestors do things they shouldnt have, yes they did. Where they perfect, no far from it. They did however bring civilization to this land, and the modern Indian now lives as well as the rest of us. You are sorry that the south stood up against northern domination. You see the war as only about slavery, but that war was about standing up agaist federal tyranny. A group of richer and more powerful states should NEVER be able to use the power of the federal goverment to bully weaker and less influencial states. That is what was occuring in the 1850s. States should always have the right to govern thier own affairs. (the constitution gaurantees this right in the 10th amendment) In my opinion, the confederates were patriots standing up for the values of our founding fathers, standing up against federal tyranny. Look at what we have today, now that federal power is nearly unchecked. This Sunday, those federal tyrants are going to take over the health care system. Where is Robert E Lee, Jeff Davis now that we need them?? I also see from your post that you were pleased with the destruction of our culture in the 60s. This does not suprise me, if you support the appologist view of history, support immoral sexual behaivor, then the 60s are your time. I know I am wasting my time here, as surely you think I am just backward, in need of enlightenment yada yada yada. Most progressives respond to me like that, all I got to say is keep on drinking the coolaid.
 
Old 03-19-2010, 11:32 PM
 
6 posts, read 17,027 times
Reputation: 21
Maybe you should look at the intolerance you are spreading, it really is a 2 way street here. Your attacking somebody else's belief system here whether it be religious or just personal ideals and I think being a hypocrat on things like this is much worse because you are trying to elevate yourself above someone by doing the same thing. I haven't heard from the school yet as to why this happened it maybe for the protection of her and her girlfriend, even if it's not it's their choice to hold those ideals as long as the state feels it's OK. Stop spreading the hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:04 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top