U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:56 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,348,548 times

Advertisements

Does MS tax VA disability pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 09:59 AM
NWS

721 posts, read 1,482,842 times
According to these sites no state taxes VA disability payments.
State Retirement Income Tax - Military Benefits - Military.com
Retirement Living - Taxes by State: Kansas - New Mexico

Old 03-15-2010, 10:32 AM

thank you. In the southern areas of MS,say from Yazoo City on down which VA hospitals are the reccommended choice for health care?

Old 03-15-2010, 01:21 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,098,197 times
No, your VA disability pay will not be taxed.

Absolutely do NOT go to Jackson! Shreveport, LA has a good VA and so does Tuscaloosa, AL but it's too far. Mississippi has a horrible reputation for veteran care. Actually, as you probably know, most VA hospitals are not "up to snuff".

I wish you the very, very best, and I thank you for your service.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:52 PM

105 posts, read 234,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
No, your VA disability pay will not be taxed.

Absolutely do NOT go to Jackson! Shreveport, LA has a good VA and so does Tuscaloosa, AL but it's too far. Mississippi has a horrible reputation for veteran care. Actually, as you probably know, most VA hospitals are not "up to snuff".

I wish you the very, very best, and I thank you for your service.
Everyone has a different opinon about the V A I guess.

I have a 84 year old friend, war veteran of WW2 & he uses the V A in Memphis all the time. Says he gets the very best treatment.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:53 PM

Oh, I don't know about Memphis. I simply meant many VA hospitals are not equal to community hospitals. The Tuscaloosa VA and the Tallahassee VA, I know, are both very, very good. The Jackson, MS VA is terrible. I'm glad your friend likes Memphis. I know many veterans travel all the way to Tuscaloosa for treatment. It's horrible that so many vets have to deal with less than adequate care.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:47 AM

That is good info to know...anybody else care to share?

Old 03-18-2010, 01:53 AM

would anyone care to share the good the bad and the ugly about their experiences with the VA please, God bless, I will wait and hope some more imformation will be in the works.

I would like to thank all of the good people whom have responded...Also the same goes to the ones that reply in the future ! May the Good Lord God bless one and all!!

May your blessing be many in your road down the rocky road of life!

Sincerly,Shh

Old 03-18-2010, 07:43 AM

I have two family members who attempted to get care from the Jackson, MS VA. They were treated very poorly. Both suffer from mental issues (PTSD, OCD, anxiety & depression), and both were essentially told there was nothing wrong with them. When they switched to the Tuscaloosa VA, they were given adequate medication and care. Before they were medicated, it was nearly impossible to live with them.

I have another relative who works for the VA in another state. She says that even within the system Jackson has a terrible reputation. The personnel that she had to deal with there would not return phone calls and either didn't know protocol or just didn't want to help.

Tuscaloosa is a great VA, but, like many VAs, there is a lot of turn over. My family members see different doctors almost every time they go. However, the doctors and nurses have always been helpful and have take the time to chat with us about any problems we have.

From what I understand, the Shreveport VA is the same. I have a cousin who goes visits that hospital, even though he lives in Texas. Several VAs in Texas told my cousin that there was nothing wrong with him. He was a marine in Vietnam, and he suffers very severe PTDS, including flashbacks, and depression. The Shreveport VA has helped him tremendously. I can't even describe the difference.

Good luck to you, shh1313!

Old 03-20-2010, 06:26 PM

6 posts, read 17,173 times
Well I don't know the rules for VA at a active duty hospital, but I do know that Keesler AFB is Biloxi does take Vets and I really like our hospital. The emergency is quick and normally you don't have to deal with long waits. The hospital overall is very good. I like it better than the local hospitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi