U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 07:17 PM

4 posts, read 9,145 times

Advertisements

I'm most likely taking a job in Meridian starting in May. I am a single, 24 yr old female. I am trying to figure out which areas of the city would be best for the young adult crowd? What is the area around Highland Park like?

I will be searching for a rental with a good yard for my dog. I'm not ready to settle in a cookie-cutter, suburb type life. I am hoping to find residential areas that have more people my age and in similar walks of life (career-transition). Social/Community opportunities will important during my move... so if anyone knows of good, 'lively' spots I would appreciate the insight! I'm not looking for rowdiness or big party spots... just people and interaction.

I've seen posts about Meridian not being interesting... but I'm hoping for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 06:55 AM

177 posts, read 461,784 times
Awesome, I'm possibly moving to Meridian too. Hard to find advice here. What's the job?

Old 03-19-2010, 07:32 PM

It's sad to see Meridian's population is steadily dropping. A little depressing to consider the move with that statistic... but the job is at the State Hospital. I'm hoping I will be able to visit to get a feel for the place before a final decision.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:37 PM

oh yeah, and based on other states, MS is definitely NOT internet savvy (such as Craig's List and Rental listings). So I am surprised to see the posts so far!

I grew up in MS, but am having to readjust to the southern method after staying in Denver for a while.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:53 AM

177 posts, read 461,784 times
The move to Meridian would definitely be interesting for me. I'm originially from New Jersey, right outside New York, and I live in Philadelphia now. I know the gf would be ok, she's from rural South Carolina. I think it'd be nice though to live somewhere slow and quiet, at least for a year or two. It'd definitely be an experience.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:57 PM

107 posts, read 345,338 times
Meridian does have its good points. The shopping mall on I-20 in Meridian is a very nice one - better than any in the Jackson area (except for Renaissance Square in Ridgeland - which is a completely different animal).

I can't help with the young crowd question. - Meridian is not a big city, so obviously the big city life just isn't there. Many use places like Meridian and also the Jackson area as home base and Whenever they start to miss the amenities missing here, they occasionally travel to places with considerably more amenities like Birmingham, Chattanooga, Memphis, Atlanta, New York, Paris, London, etc. It's economically doable due to the compatively very low cost of housing in Mississippi.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi