Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 02:48 PM

46 posts, read 216,897 times

Advertisements

My husband has the opportunity to transfer with his job to Jackson. I want him to take it b/c of the warmer weather and a lower cost of living. Well he doesn't want to b/c in his mind MS and the south in his mind is abject poverty, high crime and horrible schools compared to the rest of the country. I can't believe that is true of ALL of MS or any other southern state. Please give me something to counter his objections. I'm sick of the winters and high taxes.

BTW, what would property taxes on a $250,000 home in Madison be?
I'd appreciate any help. I think MS would be a GREAT place to raise our kids.
Help please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 02:49 PM

One more thing... my hubby is an avid outdoorsman. He loves to deer and duck hunt. He also loves bass fishing. Anything like that in MS?

Old 06-09-2007, 03:24 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
Maybe this will help!

Mississippi Game & Fish Magazine Online
Mississippi Hunting & Fishing Guide
Mississippi Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks

Old 06-09-2007, 06:00 PM

Default revision

What would a homeowner's policy run on a $250,000 home? Would it be high b/c of Katrina?
Thanks

Old 06-09-2007, 06:37 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIFERN View Post
What would a homeowner's policy run on a $250,000 home? Would it be high b/c of Katrina?
Thanks
I had a post about this for the gulfport area and someone said typical insurance costs are $4500 or so.

Not sure if you consider that high but to me that is astronomical. Here in Illinois mine is $660 or so a year.

"I'll add my $.02.
Before Katrina I paid $2400 for combined fire, theft, windstorm/hail etc for $180k home.
Now I just recieved my second renewal since Katrina and I pay $4560 for the same coverage but with a higher deductible thanks to the MS Windstorm and Hail Pool.
I don't have flood ins. I live about 5 miles north of I-10.

Hope to be in middle Tn by the end of summer.
James L.
"

Old 06-09-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Did Jackson get hit by Katrina?

Are these homeowners insurance rates reflective of Madison/Jackson area? How bad did Jackson get hit by Katrina?

Old 06-09-2007, 11:02 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times
Those rates were not for the Jackson area, but for within 20 miles of the gulf coast. Do you have allstate offices where you live? They could probably get you a rough idea of the cost of insurance for the Jackson area.

One thing, there are areas of Jackson that you simply do not want to live in. Ridgeland is just the Northern part of Jackson and nice, so is Flowood and I think Pearl.

We do have plenty of fishing and hunting around the state, Jackson has the Ross Barnett resivor and you are about 4 to 5 hours from the coast where one can deep sea fish. I am not sure about hunting in this area, I live in North Mississippi.

The Nissan plant of course is located there and schools are pretty nice in some areas, there are some threads on this forum that talk about where to go look for the levels the schools have achieved. Most of our area schools are level 5 which are very good. We have very good colleges as well.

Remind him that MIssissippi has a lot going for it, just look at the talent that has come from this state, Sela Ward, Bret Favre, Jerry Rice, Faith Hill, Elvis, Oprah, Morgan Freeman to name a few.

Mississippi.gov has a lot of information on the state, and should help you a bit.

We do have our share of crime and poverty but then what state doesn't? I do not think we have as much as other areas.

Where are you moving from? What has formed his opinion? Have you taken a trip here recently and discovered us?

The gulf coast is rebuilding and Biloxi and Gulfport are doing better than Waveland and Pass Christian, but there is life going on and the city is bustling once again.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:36 AM

WIFERN I had kind of the opposite situation when I first came to MS. I was aghast at the idea. And that was many moons ago. Come down and look at the housing. You will be amazed at what you can get for less. The winters are mild and the hot summers are negated by air conditioning. There are good schools and there is poverty. But not necessarily in the same place. As far as I am concerned the state is -relatively-compared to most of the country, crime-free.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:52 PM

Thanks all for your responses. We're from the midwest where they have their wrong ideas of the south. Also I think he's getting info from a co-worker from TX. He told him MS was a dive and I think it might be the Texan prejudice towards other states. Texans are very proud of their state and no where else compares to it. He's a nice guy but biased.
Anyway, I'll keep researching the wild game and fishing side of the state for him and see what happens.
Again, thanks all.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:42 PM

WIFERN I have to laugh about the Texas guy. I lived there for almost a year-in Austin--and I couldn't wait to get back to MS! This site might give you some ammo also. Mississippi Believe It! - Facts about Mississippi Business, Medicine, Entertainers, Writers, Musicians, Athletes, Arts, Healthcare, Generosity and People.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi