U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2010, 06:47 AM
 
783 posts, read 1,936,454 times
Reputation: 528

Advertisements

Personally I don't know why Louisiana is so poor and folks think California is so rich.

Gee, I dunno. Maybe it's because of Hollywood? One of the most powerful cottage industries in the world? Hollywood generates about a tenth the revenue of Silicon Valley... oh yeah, which is also in California... yet is responsible for a great many of our laws. "Intellectual property" is considered so important now our administration guards trade negotiations as top secret matters of national security. And, thanks to Hollywood, most of that focus ends up on California.

I don't know if the state is bankrupt or not; frankly, I don't care. What I do know is in addition to having a tenth of our population it also hosts a vast amount of natural resources in the form of farmland, dairies, wineries, and mineral mining - including that top mineral of all, silicon. The GDP of California is bigger than many developed nations, so duh it's not going to be managed like a small, poor state with few resources. Yes, it's going to be habitually in debt - that don't make it broke, though. You can live in a public park in San Diego and still have a higher standard of living than many folks living in ancestral homes in Louisiana and Mississippi. I know this from experience, after having lived both of those lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2010, 02:37 PM
 
595 posts, read 991,342 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
Dude why are you so hung up on DRUGS? The biggest drug trade in this country is legal - just go to your doctor. You can get uppers, downers, middle-of-the-liners, muscle relaxers, brain improvers and it's even advertised on TV.

THE PEOPLE of California have been toying with the idea of making pot decriminalized at the state level. It's STILL A FEDERAL CRIME, but it is up to the feds to police and enforce it at that level. This isn't some magical exception - if you think pot should be decriminalized in LA or MS then stop complaining and start campaigning - that's how it got started there.
No argument on the Dr. passing out pills.
Nothing is a Fed. crime about Pot in Cal.in certain areas ,I do not necessarily think it should be legal but We are supposed to be The UNITED STATES OF AMERICA/NOT DO AS YOU WANT IN EA. STATE. Other than that I do not believe in our system any longer / besides I am too old(62) to try and change something as screwed up as that is.But I do enjoy this forum and Your comments and most everybody else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2010, 03:33 PM
 
595 posts, read 991,342 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
True enough-but whom do you blame--your brother who "demanded" health care or the medical providers who didn't deliver a safe product? Should your brother pay? Or the providers(read BP)?

I thought I responded to your post about My brother demanding health care,but I cannot find it.



Goodness-Ca. is part of the US the last I heard. If their coast is fouled do you not care? Either drilling is safe or it isn't. Don't we have to determine that before anybody destroys more of America's coastline? So the answer to this spill is to drill elsewhere and spread it around?
I thought I responded to your post about My brother demanding health care,but I cannot find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2010, 04:51 PM
 
783 posts, read 1,936,454 times
Reputation: 528
Nothing is a Fed. crime about Pot in Cal.

Sure it is. Federal crimes are federal crimes, bud. In the US it is illegal to grow pot. Possession of more than 100 plants is a federal felony punishable by something like 20 years in prison. And here's the thing - SEEDS are also considered plants! The (stupid) logic is 1 seed=1 plant. So having more than 100 POT SEEDS can land you in a federal pen for the rest of your life. That's just one example; statres don't have the right to tell Washington your laws don't apply here. A state can enact MORE restrictive laws than the fed, but they can't tell the fed to go screw themselves. What they CAN do is refuse to police certain laws, which is what California and other states are threatening to do. The trick here is, California drives such a large part of the US economy they actually have a bit of power when it comes to this sort of thing.

in certain areas ,I do not necessarily think it should be legal but We are supposed to be The UNITED STATES OF AMERICA/NOT DO AS YOU WANT IN EA. STATE.

ROTFL. I sure never thought I'd hear a southerner say something like this about a state's rights issue! The times they are-a-changin'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2010, 05:19 PM
 
3 posts, read 3,208 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
You can live in a public park in San Diego and still have a higher standard of living than many folks living in ancestral homes in Louisiana and Mississippi. I know this from experience, after having lived both of those lives.
That's an amazingly ignorant statement. If that is true why aren't you still living in a public park in San Diego?? Nevermind, don't answer that - who cares - LOL. You're mind is made up about things even if you are wrong about them ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2010, 06:21 PM
 
783 posts, read 1,936,454 times
Reputation: 528
Amazingly ignorant? No dude, it's true. Why am I not still living in a park? Because it has its downfalls. But when I was living on the street (sleeping in Balboa Park and various warehouses) I had three nutritious squares a day for the asking. I could walk into a church and walk out with a sack of groceries. I sat in the park all day with my friends doing nothing, really, and getting by. We had indoor toilets and for all of five bucks we could rent a room with a bath for the day. If I needed health care I got it, I had access to public transportation that would take me all over the city, and I had an income of a whole 45 bucks a week from selling blood plasma. We could have slept in missions, but no one ever chose to do so. Why? Because the missions were more dangerous than sleeping in parks and warehouses.

There are people in this part of the country who have to drive a very long way for access to health care. They are basically trapped in their homes because there's no one to care for them and they can no longer drive. Some folks still don't even have indoor plumbing.

I had a better standard of living while in LA, too. Why am I no longer there? We live where and how we choose, but we don't always choose the circumstances that brought us there. Often, we choose to stay where we are because it seems easier than trying to change things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 09:08 AM
 
595 posts, read 991,342 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
Nothing is a Fed. crime about Pot in Cal.

Sure it is. Federal crimes are federal crimes, bud. In the US it is illegal to grow pot. Possession of more than 100 plants is a federal felony punishable by something like 20 years in prison. And here's the thing - SEEDS are also considered plants! The (stupid) logic is 1 seed=1 plant. So having more than 100 POT SEEDS can land you in a federal pen for the rest of your life. That's just one example; statres don't have the right to tell Washington your laws don't apply here. A state can enact MORE restrictive laws than the fed, but they can't tell the fed to go screw themselves. What they CAN do is refuse to police certain laws, which is what California and other states are threatening to do. The trick here is, California drives such a large part of the US economy they actually have a bit of power when it comes to this sort of thing.

in certain areas ,I do not necessarily think it should be legal but We are supposed to be The UNITED STATES OF AMERICA/NOT DO AS YOU WANT IN EA. STATE.

ROTFL. I sure never thought I'd hear a southerner say something like this about a state's rights issue! The times they are-a-changin'...
Don't know what ROTFL means.My name is Bert Not Bud or dude ,A law that is not enforced is worthless. Grab You a park bench a watch the world is a changing .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 07:53 PM
 
Location: home...finally, home .
8,235 posts, read 18,509,075 times
Reputation: 17765
Please keep on topic, folks. The OIL SPILL is the subject. Thanks.
__________________
******************


People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 09:35 AM
 
1,350 posts, read 3,619,939 times
Reputation: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbbertusa View Post
It is almost part of the US./How can it be legal for them to get rich off of growing POT AND A MAJOR CRIME IN OTHER AREAS.I'm not a pot head but I could stand growing A crop that is worth 3 million a year .I've seen the documentary on it several times.Why can they do it but not us ?
I would certainly care if there was an oil spill out there ,Much more so than there Gov.cares about us.You want part of the wealth pay Your
way.
What the heck is this supposed to mean? Why can they do it and not you? Because they voted to legalize medical use and you didn't, that's why. Because they have their own legislature and set up their own laws. You also make some assumptions about who cares about what based on what reliable evidence?

Your comment about your "expecting" health care and not demanding it is simply substituting one word for another. I used health care as an analogy to your comment about people demanding energy so they are responsible and not BP. So I will rephrase your statement to people "expect" energy. Does that change the analogy in any way? I don't think so. Wanting, demanding, expecting, hoping for---all the same. The provider who gives you what you want is not off the hook because you expected, demanded, wanted his product. He still has to provide a safe and effective product in the marketplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 11:32 AM
 
783 posts, read 1,936,454 times
Reputation: 528
Except that "the marketplace" is unregulated sav efor government. So when WE THE PEOPLE repeatedly elect politicians who tout LESS REGULATION and less governmental intrusion into big businesses, then it is WE THE PEOPLE who bear the brunt of the blame when said corporations do exactly what they are expected (and, by law, required) to do: thta is, maximize profits at the expense of whatever can be gotten rid of - whether it be expensive onshore labor, expensive safety equipment and procedures - whatever.

Corporations are not people; a corporation does not have a soul or a sense of responsibility. A corporation exists only to maximize profit in any way possible. Blaming BP for this problem solves nothing and serves only to ensure IT HAPPENS AGAIN when we fail to pass the proper laws and regulations and enforcement policies and agencies to police our interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top