U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 AM

4,121 posts, read 7,788,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
My point is that she wants to drill even more along the gulf coast. The damage to the beaches and fragile eco-system is tremendous when there is a spill or blast, as we have just seen. Silly Sarah wants to drill more and doesn't care about the gulf coast states and their economies or fishing industry, wildlife or their beautiful beaches.

She's using the people who are her followers to make money for HERSELF at $100,000 per speech. She doesn't really care about America or its people. Those teapartiers are being had!
They need to drill. The problem is, they need to have some kind of emergency plan in place for every type of situation, not wait till it happens then try to figure out what to do. Its amazing to me that they know the consequences of such a spill, but have no plan to stop it after it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 09:14 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,140,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Sorry WestBank--Apparently I don't understand what you are saying. You point out all the hazzards of oil exploration including jobs lost and yet you seem to be in support of contiuned drilling under these same circumstances because of jobs lost and the demand for energy.--or not--I can't figure out where you are going. Do you want continued drilling under these conditions or not??? If not--then we agree. If so, why so, considering the problems not yet under control.
I trying to keep it as simple as I can.
I'm saying as long as they drill correctly, the gulf coast will be ok.
If we don't drill safely, the gulf coast is screwed (obviously).
If we don't drill at all, the gulf coast is screwed... and so is the country eventually.

Since we're talking about job loss, picrure this.
There are people in coastal Louisiana cities than the entire state of Mississippi. There are more people in the city of Houston than the entire state of Louisiana. These are all oil and drilling dominant economies. What happens when you take it away.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 05-04-2010 at 09:35 AM..

Old 05-05-2010, 02:36 PM

783 posts, read 1,938,016 times
Who cares? Until man develops gills and the ability to sutain himself under massive pressures of the deep ocean, offshore oil drilling is - as we are seeing here AGAIN - a massive risk. It's not a question of how "safe" it might be in statistical terms because the impact when things go wrong is SO severe and, usually, unmanageable until years after the impact.

Right now we are looking at an oil slick that WILL darken the ENTIRE Mississippi gulf coast, the ENTIRE Louisiana coast and, more than likely, the ENTIRE gulf coast of Florida (and that's if things don't go the way many are already stating and the slick ends up in the gulf stream and thus darkens the entire Atlantic coast from Florida to the Carolinas). Let's see... what's the economic model that drives our coast? Is it fisheries? Check. Is it Tourism? Check. Wonder how many jobs THOSE industries stand to lose due to beaches buried under goo and fish and mussels dead and unfit for human consumption?

Planes sometimes fall out of the sky and kill everyone on board. We deem this risk acceptable. Would we still think that if most planes that fell from the sky left a heavy and lingering toxic residue strewn over 100s of miles of real estate? If it costs Billions of dollars and centuries of man hours to clean up after a single accident?

Old 05-05-2010, 03:18 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,622,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I trying to keep it as simple as I can.
I'm saying as long as they drill correctly, the gulf coast will be ok.
If we don't drill safely, the gulf coast is screwed (obviously).
If we don't drill at all, the gulf coast is screwed... and so is the country eventually.

Since we're talking about job loss, picrure this.
There are people in coastal Louisiana cities than the entire state of Mississippi. There are more people in the city of Houston than the entire state of Louisiana. These are all oil and drilling dominant economies. What happens when you take it away.
But they obviously cannot drill safely--uh duh--so what would you advocate. Or are you just presenting problems with no opinion?

Old 05-05-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
But they obviously cannot drill safely--uh duh--so what would you advocate. Or are you just presenting problems with no opinion?
Let's see Tama, out of roughly 4,000 oil platforms in that area how many times has this happened? Also, how avoidable was this accident?

Either way, I gave you my opinion. What do you suggest? How would you handle the econimies of the Gulf states with drilling just shut down?

Old 05-05-2010, 07:35 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,622,525 times
It doesn't really matter does it how often it happens, if it can happen one time. You may have given your opinion but I don't know what it is? Would you drill or not with the possibility of this kind of accident?

Old 05-05-2010, 08:16 PM

2,156 posts, read 10,090,092 times
I read in the TIMES that:
"the oil from the Deepwater Horizon was not for the US in any case--it was a foreign flagged vessel, foreign owned well, and the oil was to be sold into the international market."

Old 05-05-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
It doesn't really matter does it how often it happens, if it can happen one time. You may have given your opinion but I don't know what it is? Would you drill or not with the possibility of this kind of accident?
Yeah, I would.
And actually it does matter how often it happens.
If rigs were exploding by the dozen, then of course we need to stop.
If one platform with a history of problems and known safety issues explode, then beaucoup people Moderator cut: language removed
We both have differing opinions and I see where you coming from, I'm just looking at it from both sides.
If do feel that strongly about it, you can start by boycotting all goods produced from or in containers made from oil. Take it further and avoid products transported by oil. Once enough people follow suit, you'll definitely make an impact.

Now when man discovers a safe renewable energy source and production medium, I'll be the first to say let's loosen up on the oil, but that won't be anytime soon and you can't put the cart before the horse.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-05-2010 at 08:51 PM..

Old 05-05-2010, 08:31 PM

Most extensive coverage I've seen so far -> Oil Spill Gulf of Mexico 2010 - NOLA.com

They're heading out now to lower a 4-story dome over the leak to slow it down. Hopefully it'll work, but it's never been done at 5,000 ft.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 05-05-2010 at 08:39 PM..

Old 05-05-2010, 09:12 PM

2,156 posts, read 10,090,092 times
And if that dome fails, the oil leak can dramatically escalate from 5,000 gallons per day all the way up to 60,000 gallons per day.

BP Stops One Leak From Gulf of Mexico Oil Well (Update4) - Bloomberg.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or