U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 07:19 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,607,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC266 View Post
...Also, as much as I respect LA for saying they want to go ahead and create their own artificial barrier islands... I don't think they quite realize that the USA doesn't have the technology to do that. I mean, the USA has 3 deepwater dredge barges that can do the job, one on the gulf, one on the east coast, and one on the west coast. ...and we have a small one, but it's really just being pulled around the great lakes. But, that's okay, the Dutch has their fleet of ships down in the Carribean just waiting for us to call them to bail us out.
After watching Bobby Jindal leaning over a creaky row boat trying to vaccum the oil --with a leaf blower type thing that had a circumference of 10 inches, I say the sooner we cal the Dutch, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 08:04 PM

595 posts, read 987,254 times
I have a very short statement on the oil spill in the gulf. Everybody is looking for someone to blame and how to clean it up.For the most part You and I are the ones to blame, I drive my big truck with one person in it ,so does My wife,My daughter(car) My son in law.If everyone did not have to have there own auto that would help.Also blame the car manufactures for the big cars little gas millage.But to solely blame a Person are CO. for accommodating what we DEMAND is not fair. JMHO.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:24 AM

27 posts, read 78,104 times
Default my thoughts

for what they are worth.

The damage is probably far more widespread than we are told, remember, BP and the oil companies give big money to politicians, both dems and repubs, so any thing coming from their mouths is filtered. I despise the messages they keep having on tv about the MS gulf coast being open, think about it, just becasue you can't see the oil doesn;t mean it isn;'t there, plus the dispersent, or wait its harmless (until 20 yrs from now when we see a spike in cancer for folks along the coast, then there will be a hearing and the survivors will get a settlement adn a 5 min blurb on tv), plus the smell.

I wish that someone without an agenda (other than to keep people informed) would come out and tell us what is going on, what is safe and what isn't and how long we are going to be affected (my guess 20+ years), I am sick of those "Gulf coast still open" ads. so if a family plans their vacations and hear that the Gulf COast still is open and arrives, and they smell oil all weekend, what kind of image will they go home with?

Old 06-15-2010, 06:49 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,607,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbbertusa View Post
I have a very short statement on the oil spill in the gulf. Everybody is looking for someone to blame and how to clean it up.For the most part You and I are the ones to blame, I drive my big truck with one person in it ,so does My wife,My daughter(car) My son in law.If everyone did not have to have there own auto that would help.Also blame the car manufactures for the big cars little gas millage.But to solely blame a Person are CO. for accommodating what we DEMAND is not fair. JMHO.
This is true in the big picture of energy consumption. It is part of a macro-analysis of the trade-offs between energy demand and environmental impact. However, myself, I don't see this as being a reason to deflect responsibility from the actual culprit. We demand and consume health care but that doesn't let malpractice become acceptable or let hospitals off the hook if they kill patients. BP was negligent. They didn't have a safety first motto in fact--just in words--and they have a history of egregious violations. Our gluttony is disgusting and you do us a favor to remind us of this. But BP has to bear the burden of this particular spill all by itself.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:54 AM

783 posts, read 1,928,791 times
Every corporation is negligent - that's why we have government. Corporations exist to make profit - they are required by law, in fact, to put this motive first. Government exists to protect the interests of the people - the commons - and so it is the fault, in this case, of government in allowing such a breakdown. What can you expect when you elect a texas oilman with a history of putting his own interests and those of his oil buddies first? This did not happen overnight... the safety nets have been slipping away for years.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:06 PM

Location: Long Beach, MS--Harrison County, Mississippi Gulf Coast
34 posts, read 96,489 times
Deep Water Focus Group having informal meeting Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 at 9:30. 310 N. Cleveland Ave., Long Beach, MS. This is St. Peter's Episcopal Church, it is not a religious meeting though. St. Patrick's was simply kind enough to donate meeting space.

Attendence and orderly participation will be appreciated; however, this will be voluntary on your part. There is no compensation. It is a good chance for you to find out what others think, tell what you think, and Vent on topic if you want.

Please text: 228-229-9865 or call 228-447-4470 if you think you will attend. It is not mandatory, we simply want an idea of # of people to expect. Host are from Columbia University, National Disaster Preparedness group.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:19 PM

767 posts, read 1,995,713 times
How the ultimate BP Gulf disaster could kill millions - by Terrence Aym - Helium

Did any body else see this article?

Old 06-22-2010, 06:07 PM

Yeah OK. Looks like someone is a fan of old Hollywood disaster films.

Methane escapes from deep below the sea all the time. Sometimes, boats sink because of it. The "supersonic bubble" from cavitation this article speculates about would have been provided by the 8 miles of pipe from the oil platform. That pipe is now gone - any more methane (which is surely already escaping because methane follows oil drilling) will bubble to the surface. If enough escapes at once it would cause the water to lose its bouyancy due to all the gas bubbles, but that's hardly an event like the one dreamt of here.

This article sounds like one more "end of the world" scenario invented to promote an agenda - nothing more.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:34 PM

595 posts, read 987,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
This is true in the big picture of energy consumption. It is part of a macro-analysis of the trade-offs between energy demand and environmental impact. However, myself, I don't see this as being a reason to deflect responsibility from the actual culprit. We demand and consume health care but that doesn't let malpractice become acceptable or let hospitals off the hook if they kill patients. BP was negligent. They didn't have a safety first motto in fact--just in words--and they have a history of egregious violations. Our gluttony is disgusting and you do us a favor to remind us of this. But BP has to bear the burden of this particular spill all by itself.

You might be surprised at how many people die because of Malpractice and nothing is done.I just lost a brother because of malpractice at TULANE HOSPITALS in N.O. When You push a company to produce a certain amt. of a product the more You push the more likely you are to have and accident.I have lived near the gulf all my life and with the hundreds of oil rigs in the gulf and the fact that we have been drilling for over 100 yrs. I think a disaster has been on the horizon for a long time and the Govt.(IMO) should have had better Quality Control on all the rigs.
How do You feel about the CAL-E FORNIA GOVERNOR Saying they will never drill off the coast of CA.,I think they use more energy than any other state but are not willing to help supply it.Well if I could there would never be any oil or gas sent to Ca.We have paid a hell of a price for the oil we have been supplying (to what I thought was OUR country)but now it' turning to a State by State Govt.there are a lot of people that need help because of the spill and when will be the next time I can drive down to Dulac,La. and get an ice chest full of shrimp,or crabs that were caught that day,if ever.:cryi ng:We have lost one of the greatest fishing and hunting ares in the country and ARNOLD COULD CARE LESS.:roll eyes::roll eyes:

Old 06-26-2010, 02:33 PM

Allowing oil drilling off the coast of california will not repair the damage done to our beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or