Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 04:57 PM

767 posts, read 2,290,601 times

Advertisements

Having lived thru Katrina and hearing all the critics lambast the Feds and FEMA for the slow response, they are strangely quiet about the major crisis brewing off the Gulf coast. It happened Apr.20 and it ain't fixed yet and I haven't heard of one presidential flyover yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 06:54 PM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,645,407 times
I haven't heard anyone screaming "drill baby drill" anymore. These are strange times, huh?

http://www.newser.com/article/d9fb1a...-rig-leak.html

Obama called Republican Gov. Haley Barbour on Monday to discuss the federal response to the storms. At least 10 people in rural Mississippi and two in Alabama died from the storms.

Obama and Barbour also discussed the oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico.

The White House says Obama assured the governor that every effort is being made to minimize the environmental impact of the leak

Last edited by NWS; 04-27-2010 at 07:02 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 07:42 AM

The leak rate is now 5 times the original estimate. The Hurricane season begins June 1.
President Bush had Katrina. obama will soon quit ignoring this.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:18 PM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,645,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
The leak rate is now 5 times the original estimate. The Hurricane season begins June 1.
President Bush had Katrina. obama will soon quit ignoring this.
It isn't being ignored. You seem to lack google on your computer.

Obama deals with oil spill of 'national significance'
Obama deals with oil spill of 'national significance' - The Oval: Tracking the Obama presidency

Obama Administration Escalates Response to Gulf Oil Spill
U.S. Escalates Response to Gulf Oil Spill - WSJ.com

Old 04-29-2010, 12:44 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
"Drill, Baby, Drill." Doesn't that show us just how really intelligent?@*?? that dingbat Sarah Palin truly is!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
It isn't being ignored. You seem to lack google on your computer.

Obama deals with oil spill of 'national significance'
Obama deals with oil spill of 'national significance' - The Oval: Tracking the Obama presidency

Obama Administration Escalates Response to Gulf Oil Spill
U.S. Escalates Response to Gulf Oil Spill - WSJ.com
I guess it is a fast response. It happened on the 20th didn't it? Today is the 29th.

Gulf of Mexico oil spill: Burning should have started a week ago, former NOAA official says | al.com

Old 04-29-2010, 01:52 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times

Actually it exploded between the 20th-21st and there was a search and rescue op immediately. The leak wasn't known (at least publicly) until 4 days later which was five days ago and wasn't realized to be as serious as it was until a day or two later.
Gulf Oil Spill Coverage | Times-Picayune, NOLA.com

Old 04-30-2010, 09:09 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post

Actually it exploded between the 20th-21st and there was a search and rescue op immediately. The leak wasn't known (at least publicly) until 4 days later which was five days ago and wasn't realized to be as serious as it was until a day or two later.
Gulf Oil Spill Coverage | Times-Picayune, NOLA.com
Still--it doesn't seem--I could be wrong--that a rapid response team of feds, industry, military, and environmental were deployed as a team. Only yesterday--Thurs--the defense dept. came on-board. I realize the sytems in place failed. But were those systems back-upped, did cost affect the systems in place, and is it true that BP fought tougher regs? I will wait for post-mortem analysis--but there are questions.

I do hope if we go to more nuclear power as predicted we don't utilize a "close the barn door after the horse runs away" approach! This area is pristine wetlands and a nursery for so many species. Water fowl are nesting now and the nurturing of other young starts in these estuaries. The entire shrimp and oyster industry, tourism, not to mention dolphins, porpoises, whales--the plankton--all at risk. Sad and, if it were avoidable, a decimation of our children and grandchildren's inheritance. What wonderful stewards of
the planet we are.

Let's hope and pray to any god out there that this gets undone.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:31 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Terrible terrible response and no proper safety measures in place (valves) like our oil and gas operations in the North Sea. Now animals/birds, wetlands, reserves and industry will suffer because of such lax health and safety in America of all countries. So disappointed in the reactions and attitudes. I was hoping to duck hunt and hang out down at the gulf coast too....doubt that will happen.

God help them if i was there i'd be kicking up hell. Stuff like this really makes me mad and its not just with this if it happened here i'd be just the same but I can never condemn UK health and safety.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:51 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Horrific mess. This isn't a situation where X amount of oil was spilled. In this case, it just keeps getting worse and worse and worse with no end in sight -- and no ideas on how to stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi