Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:25 PM

295 posts, read 318,752 times

Advertisements

I know off hand this is a ridiculous analysis but was 1950 Mississippi better off than the Mississippi of today in relations to crime, rape, and the welfare of its citizens?

To me the Federal government seems to ignore the state of Mississippi when disasters occur and many people see the state backwards today but to me the state had a great culture and heritage in the 50's but today many cities in the state have the same crime as other major American cities!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:03 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,748,814 times
Like winter snow on a summer lawn,
Time passed is time gone.

MY quote, but you can use it, give me credit if'n you do, k?

Old 05-03-2010, 10:36 PM

146 posts, read 222,713 times
I'm sure it was great in the 50s, if you were a white person.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 10,171 times
Ah yes, let's reminisce about the good old days in Mississippi, when there was no crime other than lynchings of "uppity" African-Americans and bombings of churches. As for rape, do you think it was common for assaults on women to be reported back then?

Old 05-04-2010, 11:54 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,716,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars&bars View Post
I know off hand this is a ridiculous analysis but was 1950 Mississippi better off than the Mississippi of today in relations to crime, rape, and the welfare of its citizens?

To me the Federal government seems to ignore the state of Mississippi when disasters occur and many people see the state backwards today but to me the state had a great culture and heritage in the 50's but today many cities in the state have the same crime as other major American cities!
The federal government gives Mississippi more funding back than it contributes. For every dollar the state contributes to federal taxes, the federal government gives Mississippi back $2.02 in funding. To say that the federal government ignores Mississippi is just not true.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:18 PM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,640,002 times
If you look at the Original Posters past post you see a pattern that suggests an "agenda". Don't feed him.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:15 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,716,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
If you look at the Original Posters past post you see a pattern that suggests an "agenda". Don't feed him.
I read through, just race baiting and trolling. Good find.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:20 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,084,899 times
Quote:

Mississippi in 1950 was a horrible place for African-Americans. There is a reason my father was born and raised in Milwaukee,Wisconsin and not Mississippi. His parents left Mississippi during the Great Migration. They left and never lived in Mississippi again. They found better opportunities in Wisconsin. I have me to think about when it comes to people saying some places were better in 1950. I have to think in terms "what about me?"

Old 05-04-2010, 07:36 PM

295 posts, read 318,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
I don't need to be fed but I find you seem to have scissors in your hand and deem anyone racist! I never mentioned race but if I do decide, FREE SPEECH !

You may have violated policy by deeming me racist and giving false staements!

My next forum will ask the question of race related issues, see you there!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:52 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,513,602 times
Quote:

In those days, James Stennis and Jim Eastland represented Mississippi in the US Senate. They were men of priciple who could have only been elected by men and women of principle. Neither they nor their constituents worried about what People thought of their state. And why should they?

I first visited Mississippi in 1959. I just wallowed in the history. It was incredible. I passed through Natchez in the troubled time of 1965. People had lost their carefree atttitude. People were suspicious until I let them know I wasn't an outside troublemaker. Then they were great.

These are bad times. But your state has a proud history. I must mention one thing. In 1968 both of your senators and I believe all of your representatives voted against the Gun Control Act. They weren't afraid of people of any race quietly ordering guns from out of state to be sent to their homes or businesses without the knowledge of the government.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 05-04-2010 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi