U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:29 PM

43 posts, read 88,476 times

Advertisements

My family is likely to move to DeSoto County in the near future and we are trying to decide between Hernando and DeSoto Central schools. Just curious if anyone has any comments as to the quality of the schools.

Our children (rising 5th and 6th grade) are reasonably bright, often scoring in the top one percent of various norm referenced achievement tests. So we'd love to find an intensely competitive, hot-house environment for them, although most schools seem to think it is a sin to challenge children.

So which school is likely to be more demanding, and which area is likely to be more enjoyable from a social standpoint for both adults and children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 06:08 AM

4,263 posts, read 4,076,147 times
They are all under the same county superintendent so they have the same standards. My house is in the DCS district and I hear nothing but good things about the school. As far as housing, there is a large inventory of houses on the market including a few around me. I like the location because it is close to Snowden Grove Park. I walk to local concerts.

I have family that moved to Hernando and they like it as well. They have a child in elementary school who is doing great. Housing is a little cheaper in Hernando but that may mean a longer commute for some.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:06 PM

134 posts, read 574,373 times
DeSoto County in MS is a great place to live in Memphis Metro Area. You can't go wrong with DeSoto School District; I have second cousins attending both DeSoto Central and Hernando High Schools. I personally prefer Hernando and I do know that Hernando is booming quickly with many houses being constructed as the surburbs are growing south from Memphis and Southaven. If you don't mind commuting, Hernando would be perfect with small town feel and more open space despite its growth.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:54 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,605,295 times
You shouldn't overlook Lewisburg, which is along Byhalia Rd at Craft Rd, about 5 to 10 minutes east of Hernando. It's brand new and highly rated. All three schools are among the top 20 or so in the state.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
You shouldn't overlook Lewisburg, which is along Byhalia Rd at Craft Rd, about 5 to 10 minutes east of Hernando. It's brand new and highly rated. All three schools are among the top 20 or so in the state.
We've kind of ruled out Lewisburg. Nothing wrong, just not our final two choices. I'm likely to be working in the Southaven/OB area, probably near DeSoto Central school. But my preference is to live in an actual town. So I'm trying to balance the two. That's why I was curious as to whether one school might have a more competitive academic environment than the other.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:26 AM

4,263 posts, read 4,076,147 times
I think Southaven and this area of town is the better area. As I said earlier, I'm a little over a mile from Snowden Grove Park. That is the largest youth baseball park in this area. 16 regular fields and a field for special needs kids. The Parks building is there with batting cages, putt-putt golf and indoor soccer. Next door is a new bowling alley with a pizza restaurant inside. The nicest gym in the area is just up the street.

I don't have any kids so this is just an observation. They are running everywhere. Just my neighborhood has kids ranging from early elementary to college age. I see the same in surrounding neighborhoods as well. I do not see this where my family lives in Hernando. It may be the neighborhood though.

Have looked at the city web sites? Southaven, MS is great as well as their online magazine that covers everything for the new or potential resident.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:53 PM

Well, I didn't exactly get the answers I was looking for here, so I looked up the school's No Child Left Behind report cards on the state Department of Education website. I thought the law required the schools to post these on their websites, but I couldn't find them.

DeSoto Central seems to have better test scores. There is something really squirrelly about some of Hernando's test scores. I won't go into it, but something isn't right. DeSoto Central has also had a higher top ACT score for the past two years (found through STAR Student press releases). I'd love to get older data, but I can't find it.

Every student should be required to take the ACT, and schools should be required to report these scores to help parents find schools which are the right fit for their children. It just seems they are intentionally trying to force people into making uninformed choices. >>Great big sigh!<<

Old 05-17-2010, 07:59 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,605,295 times
You can google MS Dept of Education, then click on MAARS Accountability reporting, then click on state, district and school scores.

You will find that Hernando Middle and Desoto Central Middle scores are very similar. The main difference I see is that Hernando feels more like a small town and has done a better job insisting on architectural standards, low signage, and landscaping. In the long run I think Hernando is going to be more livable.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:01 PM

8 posts, read 22,114 times
I live in Southaven in the Desoto Central School District. I looked at both Hernando High and DCHS and chose Southaven after those visits, however I ended up sending the children to private schools because the work was not challenging enough. The schools both offer an array of advanced classes but they just weren't doing the level of work my children had done prior to moving to the area. Had I realized that I wouldn't be sending the kids to public school, I would have chosen to actually live in Hernando. I like the quaint small town atmosphere of the town, the fantastic library and the farmer's market. I end up spending lots of time there even if I do live in Southaven.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civiccitizen View Post
I live in Southaven in the Desoto Central School District. I looked at both Hernando High and DCHS and chose Southaven after those visits, however I ended up sending the children to private schools because the work was not challenging enough. The schools both offer an array of advanced classes but they just weren't doing the level of work my children had done prior to moving to the area. Had I realized that I wouldn't be sending the kids to public school, I would have chosen to actually live in Hernando. I like the quaint small town atmosphere of the town, the fantastic library and the farmer's market. I end up spending lots of time there even if I do live in Southaven.
Thanks for the input Civiccitizen.

Were your kids in any sort of gifted program at DeSoto Central? What grades were they in. My kids are rising fifth and sixth graders.

Just out of curiousity where are they going now? My thinking is a little backwards from yours. I think I might prefer to live in Hernando, but am thinking about the DeSoto Central area in case we want to switch to SBEC. Does SBEC have a bus to Hernando?

Thanks for the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or