Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:20 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times

Advertisements

Yes, you're going to need to plug into the University. It will require a mindset adjustment, but if you're ready for the challenge, I say go for it. Best of luck! Let us know what you decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 10:27 PM

5 posts, read 8,147 times
I'm a Mississippian. Well, rather, I am from Mississippi. I just want to clarify (to those of you who weren't born and raised in MS) some statements the people in this thread made about the supposed kindness of Mississippians: the kindness of Mississippians, and more widely, the stereotype concerning Southern gentility, is a farce. I've traveled a bit (in and out of the country) and never have I met a people so completely bitter, negative, and unhappy as Mississippians. Southern hospitality does not exist, and I kindly question if it ever did. I also don't understand calling any part of the South, including the larger cities, "cosmopolitan."

Conservatism does not begin to cover it. Try hateful, angry, close-minded, selfish, ignorant, rude, violent, etc. I could go on.

Honestly, a single girl moving to Starkville? How old are you? I can't think of a bigger waste of time for someone in their 20s, particularly a girl, than to move to any city in Mississippi. If you love Mississippi, like most in this thread say, then you will not have a problem, because frankly you aren't that different from the "locals." If your biggest worry is the "conservative" mentality, because you like, have lived in like cosmopolitan huge cities like Baton Rouge, and like you just can't handle all the religious folks, even though they are sooooo nice and kind----don't worry, you'll be just fine. Give yourself a couple months, you'll be back in church with a Bible in the sky, stomping to Tim McGraw, yelling yehaaaawwww out your pickup--because frankly, you haven't changed that much. Besides, do you really think LA is that different from MS? Seriously? Visit places with humans who actually communicate besides grunting. You might get a different perspective. Peace.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:03 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
I'm a Mississippian too, and I would like to respond to BruceW2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW2 View Post
I'm a Mississippian. Well, rather, I am from Mississippi. I just want to clarify (to those of you who weren't born and raised in MS) some statements the people in this thread made about the supposed kindness of Mississippians......never have I met a people so completely bitter, negative, and unhappy as Mississippians.
As for the kindness of Mississippians, Mississippi is the most generous state for charitable giving, despite being the poorest. I'm not bitter, negative, or unhappy, and can't think of anyone I know who is at the moment.

Quote:
Try hateful, angry, close-minded, selfish, ignorant, rude, violent, etc. I could go on.
I'm not hateful, angry, closed-minded, selfish, ignorant, rude, or violent. Mississippi doesn't corner the market on any of those things, they are to be found in every state.

Quote:
you'll be back in church with a Bible in the sky, stomping to Tim McGraw, yelling yehaaaawwww out your pickup--because frankly, you haven't changed that much. Besides, do you really think LA is that different from MS? Seriously? Visit places with humans who actually communicate besides grunting. You might get a different perspective. Peace.
I rarely go to church, although I should go more often... don't listen to Tim McGraw, never yelled yehaw out of a pickup truck (I drive a car) and can't recall ever seeing someone do that, and I speak English.

When you stereotype an entire state you are the one who looks closed-minded and ignorant.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:32 AM

7 posts, read 12,965 times
Quote:
I'm a Mississippian. Well, rather, I am from Mississippi. I just want to clarify (to those of you who weren't born and raised in MS) some statements the people in this thread made about the supposed kindness of Mississippians: the kindness of Mississippians, and more widely, the stereotype concerning Southern gentility, is a farce. I've traveled a bit (in and out of the country) and never have I met a people so completely bitter, negative, and unhappy as Mississippians. Southern hospitality does not exist, and I kindly question if it ever did. I also don't understand calling any part of the South, including the larger cities, "cosmopolitan."

Conservatism does not begin to cover it. Try hateful, angry, close-minded, selfish, ignorant, rude, violent, etc. I could go on.

Honestly, a single girl moving to Starkville? How old are you? I can't think of a bigger waste of time for someone in their 20s, particularly a girl, than to move to any city in Mississippi. If you love Mississippi, like most in this thread say, then you will not have a problem, because frankly you aren't that different from the "locals." If your biggest worry is the "conservative" mentality, because you like, have lived in like cosmopolitan huge cities like Baton Rouge, and like you just can't handle all the religious folks, even though they are sooooo nice and kind----don't worry, you'll be just fine. Give yourself a couple months, you'll be back in church with a Bible in the sky, stomping to Tim McGraw, yelling yehaaaawwww out your pickup--because frankly, you haven't changed that much. Besides, do you really think LA is that different from MS? Seriously? Visit places with humans who actually communicate besides grunting. You might get a different perspective. Peace.

And this is coming from a person that says "like" every other word...Brilliant.

I have also traveled in and out of the country. Many times. That doesn't impress me, nor do is matter to me that you don't care for MS. However, it IS intriguing why someone that has such a disdain for the state would be hanging out in a MS forum.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:26 PM

Ever notice how people berate Mississippi, and make blanket generalizations based on media, a single event, or the actions of a small minority.

It's very similar to racism... but instead of judging us for the color of our skin, it's our geographic location, and events long passed.

Would you judge all people of a color or nationality because of the actions of one, or even a minority, or something that color or nationality of people did long ago? Obviously, some do.

Don't people realize this entire country has a not so admirable past regarding everything from race relations to killing and taking the land of other people by force? Slaves were traded in Boston, New York, and many other places outside the South. The United States government once considered black people 3/5th's of a person. Why is Mississippi the only state judged by its past? There are 3 million people in this state, but some people act as if we are all worthless. BruceW2, i'm talking to you.

Until we stop judging others and get rid of the belief we are somehow better than someone of another race, geographic location, and whatever else people like to think makes them better we will never really get along.

Last edited by jhadorn; 07-06-2010 at 12:41 PM..

Old 07-06-2010, 08:18 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times
Starkville is a fine town. The way it's going, I see it becoming one of the major towns in Mississippi over the next few decades. That's based on the high-tech industries beginning to cluster between Starkville and Columbus, the attraction of the university and also for businesses, attraction of the engineering school, and access to nice wooded countryside, lakes, land, and reasonably good schools in the surrounding counties. Starkville now has an impressive array of new homes and new subdivisions and is steadily accumulating some culture in the form of interesting and nicer bars and restaurants. I envision probably 30 or 35 years from now Starkville will be considered one of the most livable areas in the country, based on very low crime, low traffic, moderate climate, low cost of living, relatively central location, and an increasingly prosperous economy tied to high tech industries and the university.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:51 PM

268 posts, read 743,773 times
OH hellll no. Come on, you know better. You'll just get caught up in the same things
you went to BR for. Move to Memphis and see the folks on weekends, or move to Meridian
and do the same once a month. But you probably endured a lot of struggles to stay out
of town so long, don't just give up. Unless you are just broke and have to lean on the fam.
But you could not pay me to make that move. But then again, I don't see much church.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:59 PM

268 posts, read 743,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Ever notice how people berate Mississippi, and make blanket generalizations based on media, a single event, or the actions of a small minority.
I HAVE noticed that this happens, but do not get that surprised when I see it.
I lived in MS most of my adult life, Hattiesburg, Meridian, Jackson, Memphis, lol.
There is no way I would move to Starkville. Oxford MAYBE.
First of all, I am not like all the other church folk that love
to talk about how bad 'we' all are, but love it more when no one
scrutinizes their own lives all that hard. And I agree that MS is
the best state in the union for raising a family these days, but that's
only because you can still shield your kids from a lot of what has ruined
other states and large communities. But I also think they would be negatively
affected by too much bible belt. The economy is fair, the environment is largely
unspoiled outside of some logging of lots of hardwoods and not more
purpose-grown pulpwood. But there are 99 other places I would choose before Starkville.
Even if I had family. You run back to family when they NEED you, not when you need to
start your life's adventure. For that you stay 4+ hours away. You won't melt.
Unless this is all about being a bit broke and needing to get close to the family to survive
this recession. THAT is better than activities behind the stop and shop for grocery money.
I would not say it is a bad idea to move back home, but IMO, it is a last resort.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:13 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,038 times
Don't people realize this entire country has a not so admirable past regarding everything from race relations to killing and taking the land of other people by force? Slaves were traded in Boston, New York, and many other places outside the South. The United States government once considered black people 3/5th's of a person.

Given the holiday, maybe it's time for a refresher in history... and to put this nonsense in context.

The slave TRADE was a different business than slavery. Many people who owned slaves bemoaned the ruthless business that was the slave trade. And, because the ports were there, yes many slaves came through new england. That doesn't mean yanks kept slaves, however - before there was a constitution there were colonies, and each colony had its own rules.

Back then most expected the south to SURPASS the north in population and economic strength due, in no small part, to slavery. Those nrotherners who looked down their noses at slavery often did so not out of indignance at the cruelty and lack of humanity, but because they feared the inevitable revolution when this overblown population of "darkies" would finally decide to rise up and overthrow their white masters. Barring that, they also feared for their own political power as the south would grow to exceed them in economy and population.

This, in fact, is why black slaves were considered 3/5 of a person. Point of fact, the south considered each of them ONE PERSON but the north objected duriing ratification of the consitution and, so as to placate the colonies like New York and Pennsylvania, a COMPROMISE of 3/5 was agreed upon. In fact, the northerners did not want black slaves counted as "men" AT ALL because, again, they feared what would happen as the black population of the south finally grew to surpass the larger states like PA. Should each slave count as one man, the rising black population in the south would mean a loss of political power for the northern states.

If anyone really means what they say about getting past all this, then it's really time to start doing some research and speaking the truth rather than the politically correct nonsense we've been taught since childhood. This is a very nuanced issue and the simple fact is there really are NO "good guys" or "bad guys." Many slave owners wanted nothing to do with the slave traders or even with keeping slaves dumb and ignorant. Let's not forget Jefferson not only kept slaves, he also did all he could to make his home a self sustaining village and allowed his slaves an education. He often spoke against the inhumanity fo slavery and yet was powerless to change it. So, he did what he could as one man and left the inevitable revolution for a future generation to deal with. While he may have been one of the most powerful men of the time, it's hard to believe he was alone in his beliefs and practices.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
Don't people realize this entire country has a not so admirable past regarding everything from race relations to killing and taking the land of other people by force? Slaves were traded in Boston, New York, and many other places outside the South. The United States government once considered black people 3/5th's of a person.

Given the holiday, maybe it's time for a refresher in history... and to put this nonsense in context.

The slave TRADE was a different business than slavery. Many people who owned slaves bemoaned the ruthless business that was the slave trade. And, because the ports were there, yes many slaves came through new england. That doesn't mean yanks kept slaves, however - before there was a constitution there were colonies, and each colony had its own rules.

Back then most expected the south to SURPASS the north in population and economic strength due, in no small part, to slavery. Those nrotherners who looked down their noses at slavery often did so not out of indignance at the cruelty and lack of humanity, but because they feared the inevitable revolution when this overblown population of "darkies" would finally decide to rise up and overthrow their white masters. Barring that, they also feared for their own political power as the south would grow to exceed them in economy and population.

This, in fact, is why black slaves were considered 3/5 of a person. Point of fact, the south considered each of them ONE PERSON but the north objected duriing ratification of the consitution and, so as to placate the colonies like New York and Pennsylvania, a COMPROMISE of 3/5 was agreed upon. In fact, the northerners did not want black slaves counted as "men" AT ALL because, again, they feared what would happen as the black population of the south finally grew to surpass the larger states like PA. Should each slave count as one man, the rising black population in the south would mean a loss of political power for the northern states.

If anyone really means what they say about getting past all this, then it's really time to start doing some research and speaking the truth rather than the politically correct nonsense we've been taught since childhood. This is a very nuanced issue and the simple fact is there really are NO "good guys" or "bad guys." Many slave owners wanted nothing to do with the slave traders or even with keeping slaves dumb and ignorant. Let's not forget Jefferson not only kept slaves, he also did all he could to make his home a self sustaining village and allowed his slaves an education. He often spoke against the inhumanity fo slavery and yet was powerless to change it. So, he did what he could as one man and left the inevitable revolution for a future generation to deal with. While he may have been one of the most powerful men of the time, it's hard to believe he was alone in his beliefs and practices.
You need to do your research. The North did own slaves.

Slavery in the North

Seriously, look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi