Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 01:09 PM

46 posts, read 216,188 times

Advertisements

Here's the critieria: Sons big into playing and watching baseball, a daughter that swims and competes in gymnastics, a husband that loves to hunt and fish, and a wife that wants to get her degree from a good university. We want to stay away from the coast and high insurance premiums. We're leaning towards Madison, but I'm interested in what you all have to say.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 01:38 PM

5,340 posts, read 14,089,498 times
Desoto County (Memphis metro)

Old 06-15-2007, 04:00 PM

114 posts, read 600,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIFERN View Post
Here's the critieria: Sons big into playing and watching baseball, a daughter that swims and competes in gymnastics, a husband that loves to hunt and fish, and a wife that wants to get her degree from a good university. We want to stay away from the coast and high insurance premiums. We're leaning towards Madison, but I'm interested in what you all have to say.
Thanks
Just off the top of my head I would say Hattiesburg. I don't know of a "good university" in the Jackson area.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:50 PM

441 posts, read 2,104,399 times
Bottom line... no place in Mississippi is good. But if I had to choose, I would choose Madison or Ridgeland (by the way, I did because that is where I live) and select either MS College, Millsaps, or Belhaven for a degree (which I did not as I went out of state). I can tell you this, everyone goes crazy wanting to hire Millsaps graduates. It has an excellent reputation.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:51 PM

356 posts, read 1,341,431 times
I would recommend the Brandon/Reservoir area. It has all of the things you want plus the Atlanta Braves AA team is in Pearl which is close since your family likes to watch baseball.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Why so bad in MS?

[quote=SashaBlue;893071]Bottom line... no place in Mississippi is good. But if I had to choose, I would choose Madison or Ridgeland.

Why is MS so awful? Is it crime, low performing schools, the scenery? Are people unhappy living in MS? Are people trying to leave the state? Please let me know.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:53 PM

26 posts, read 117,528 times
I'v lived in Ms. all my life, and dont plan on moving to another state, but I plan to relocate to the Hattiesburg area in the near future. It's one of the top choices for Ms. OR the southaven, Tupelo, or areas around Jackson are other top choices. Where I live now,(Greenville) the crime, the attutides of people, & the way the city is run, are reasons so many people are leaving here. So It's not all of Ms.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:22 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,649,530 times
I'm very happy living in MS. As a matter of fact, when my husband and I got married, we had to move out of state because he was in the army. When it became time to raise a family, we could think of no better place to raise them than back here where morals and values still mean something.

I live in Blue Springs, a quaint little village of 144 registered voters. Everyone knows everyone else and watches out for one another. I like knowing this and can often overlook a bit of nosiness and gossip in order to belong to such a loving community.

We are only 13 miles from Tupelo and 82 miles from Memphis. It is a 4 hour drive to watch the Braves AA team and a 5 1/2 hour drive to the coast.

Economically, Northern Mississippi is losing furniture manufacuring jobs, but we have gained Toyota which will help the economy and put many back to work and with the supplier companies, there will be even more jobs available.

We live an hour from Oxford ( another thriving place) which is home to Ole Miss and about an hour from Starkville which is home to MS. State. Tupelo has Ole Miss campus and Itawamba Community College has a campus there as well. For the main campus, Fulton is not far from Tupelo and offers the Tenn Tom waterway for summer playtime on the water.

This area is very sports minded, baseball being a big summer hit and many little league ballgamers are playing if your dh likes to see the little ones play. My son is 13 and plays most all summer.

We find many things to occupy our time, from festivals in many area towns to monthly flea market in TUpelo to fishing, baseball, water sking, and usually entertainment in the colesium but at the moment don't know what is going on there, they do have arena football.

So, Mississippi is still about family and values. I think the younger generation might find it boring, but I will take it any day over a larger metropolitan area. People are mainly friendly as well.

Ya'll come and spend a few days down here, sure it is hot and humid, but heck that is what they make a/c for.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:44 AM

356 posts, read 1,341,431 times
I see more people coming back to Mississippi rather than leaving it. I have lived out of state a couple of times because of my husband's jobs, but we always came back here. Anyone who is that unhappy should probably leave. No need to live somewhere that you are miserable.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:41 AM

Does anyone know who has the strongest little league program out of the towns of Brandon, Madison, Hernando? My sons live for baseball and we'd like a thriving, solid program.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi